Newsday: Barry Trotz describes the type of player Islanders are looking for

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here are some paragraphs that I liked seeing. Trotz is going to make this team a lot more accountable. The new era has begun. I am excited for Isles fans.

“You just try to get familiar with what the players bring to the table,” Trotz said. “When you get someone to defend against you, push against you, go into tight spaces, some guys don’t have a lot of substance to it. We’ll be looking to see if a guy has some substance to his game.

“We want players who are hard to play against and that’s not always physical,” Trotz added. “We want them to use their talent and play to their strength and identity. If you’re a solid two-way guy, we want to see that. Every player can be difficult to play against and that’s what we’re going to try to identify as we go along. We’ve got to find out what the player is first. We think we know the players. But you don’t until you spend a lot of time with them on and off the ice.”

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Nice write up and it's obvious Trotz has a clear idea what he wants, unlike the scrubs who've coached this team the last 10+ years. I like the bit about him saying the old regime did some good things but they'll do it differently. A nice little dig at Snow and Weight

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
“When you get someone to defend against you, push against you, go into tight spaces, some guys don’t have a lot of substance to it. We’ll be looking to see if a guy has some substance to his game."

Did anyone here NOT immediately think of Brock Nelson after reading that? :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is why I know Isles fans will grow to like Komarov. He will compete, push back, and push to initiate. He did this to Ovie and Doughty, doesn't care if you are a star or a 4th line player. Very good defensively, if he can pitch in 15 goals next season. The Isles got a bargain.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Here are some paragraphs that I liked seeing. Trotz is going to make this team a lot more accountable. The new era has begun. I am excited for Isles fans.

It sounds like you could put Capuano in place of Trots in that article and it would read the same. "we want players who are hard to play against".

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
It sounds like you could put Capuano in place of Trots in that article and it would read the same. "we want players who are hard to play against".
yes exactly like capuano...minus the multiple playoff wins with 2 different franchises(one being an expansion team), ahl and nhl coach of the year awards, presidents cups...but yeah other than that exactly like capuano.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think you just miss his Rhode Island accent.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Nice write up and it's obvious Trotz has a clear idea what he wants, unlike the scrubs who've coached this team the last 10+ years. I like the bit about him saying the old regime did some good things but they'll do it differently. A nice little dig at Snow and Weight

"Scrubs" is 100% accurate. We haven't had a legit NHL coach since Nolan a decade ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad