News Article: Barry Beck Update

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A good article.

A quibble though. The photo of Beck playing against the Canadiens. 'Beck after his helmet got knocked off in a game against the Canadiens.' Barry Beck never wore a helmet--at least not with the Rangers that I can recall. Maybe when he briefly played for the Kings. NYT can be very lackadaisical in their research.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
A good article.

A quibble though. The photo of Beck playing against the Canadiens. 'Beck after his helmet got knocked off in a game against the Canadiens.' Barry Beck never wore a helmet--at least not with the Rangers that I can recall. Maybe when he briefly played for the Kings. NYT can be very lackadaisical in their research.

Barry never wore a helmet with the Rangers good catch on your part. I can still remember when they made that trade with the Rockies. I thought Barry was going to blossom into a Superstar with the Rangers.
Shoot the Puck Barry! quoting the late great Bill Chadwick brings back great memories for me as a Rangers fan.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Good article. I hope the NHL is throwing some money their way. They want to grow the game, that's the way to do it.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Funny Chosen I was gonna post a 10 minute video of Beck highlights today but I thought it was too much violence for this board..:P

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I went to see the Rangers in L.A. years ago, and before the game they announced a bunch of unexpected scratches for the Rangers and I knew that meant that the rumored trade of Beck to the Rangers was done. I was incredibly happy.

Beck was a great combination of skill, size, and toughness. Unfortunately, the rest of the team was awful.

He had too much responsibility for the Rangers and when Pat Flatley hit him and destroyed his shoulder, he never looked the same. It was fun to watch him with Reijo.

It was shocking when the coach - I think it was Herb Brooks - called Beck a coward. Imagine if something like that happened today.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Was Beck really an enforcer? He was a star player and a #2 overall pick. He only had one year where he really racked up the PIM. The article made it sound like all he did in the NHL was dish out knuckle sandwiches.

There's a book out there called "The Tropic of Hockey" where the author travels around the world and finds hockey in unconventional places. Hong Kong was one of them.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Beck was feared like Clarke Gillies and Dave Brown..Nobody challenged him and I remember the Dave Brown fight Dave Brown held on for dear life and wanted no part..He was also a feared hitter people exploded when he hit them like LT did when he played for the Giants...And when lost his temper nobody could control him....And that innocent Patrick Flatley hit a long the boards he was never the same again..Oh and boy did he hate Eddie Hospadar

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
From what I remember Nicky Fotiu was the enforcer but you didn't want to mess with Barry. I can remember a game against the Kings when the ref. was holding him back and he ducked around and got a great punch in.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
From what I remember Nicky Fotiu was the enforcer but you didn't want to mess with Barry. I can remember a game against the Kings when the ref. was holding him back and he ducked around and got a great punch in.
I think I remember that. Whoever he hit was destroyed too, if I'm remembering the right incident. Barry barely touched him, or used much of his strength. It was like he was swatting at a fly.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Beck was very much regarded as one of the best fighters of his time. He had a huge reputation, which was largely the result of some of his earlier fights in his career. Lots of players avoided him. Took a lot to get him mad but when he was fired up he was dangerous.

Had an important role for the team so maybe he didn't do it enough. But when he did he was as good as they came in the fight department.

Beck, Fotiu, Gillies, Wilson, Nystrom, Dan Maloney(not Rangers, LA Kings) were just beasts from that era. All of them at some point or another held that title for toughest, baddest mother of all in the league. It all depended on the night.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I went to see the Rangers in L.A. years ago, and before the game they announced a bunch of unexpected scratches for the Rangers and I knew that meant that the rumored trade of Beck to the Rangers was done. I was incredibly happy.

Beck was a great combination of skill, size, and toughness. Unfortunately, the rest of the team was awful.

He had too much responsibility for the Rangers and when Pat Flatley hit him and destroyed his shoulder, he never looked the same. It was fun to watch him with Reijo.

It was shocking when the coach - I think it was Herb Brooks - called Beck a coward. Imagine if something like that happened today.

He was so fun to watch play. Wished we had him today!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad