Proposal: Barrie to DET

Hush

Jan 28, 2013
:wings
Tyson Barrie (condition is he has signed long term deal)
AJ Greer

:avs
Gustav Nyquist
2nd round pick 2017
Andreas Athanasiou

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The fact that you think the Avs need to add Greer as well...

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
As a Detroit fan I would rather pay a little less for a cost controlled Fowler. Holland wasted too much space yesterday.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
:wings
Tyson Barrie (condition is he has signed long term deal)
AJ Greer

:avs
Gustav Nyquist
2nd round pick 2016
Andreas Athanasiou

2016 2nd round pick, You do realize that it's already been use. Don't you mean 2017 2nd round pick and besides Barrie wants at least $6 million long term we wont have the cap we would at least need to send Smith as well.

Hush

Jan 28, 2013
2016 2nd round pick, You do realize that it's already been use. Don't you mean 2017 2nd round pick and besides Barrie wants at least $6 million long term we wont have the cap we would at least need to send Smith as well.

Yeah I meant 2017, I can go back and edit the proposal.

We can tweak the trade a bit, the purpose of the thread is to generate a discussion on Barrie to DET. The posters in this thread neglecting to add to the discussion are being ignored.

stpn47

Feb 10, 2012
Not interested at all in Nyquist as the centerpiece, I think just about every team in the league would beat that offer.

I'm assuming Larkin is off the table, so it would probably have to be Mantha+1st+? and even then I assume other teams would be able to put up better offers.

Hush

Jan 28, 2013
Not interested at all in Nyquist as the centerpiece, I think just about every team in the league would beat that offer.

I'm assuming Larkin is off the table, so it would probably have to be Mantha+1st+? and even then I assume other teams would be able to put up better offers.

The ? would have to be a cap dump, unless you want more on top of that, so I think we're close. Again, this has to be conditional on Barrie signing a long term deal. It's not worth it to sign him to a 2 year bridge deal only to have him walk.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The ? would have to be a cap dump, unless you want more on top of that, so I think we're close. Again, this has to be conditional on Barrie signing a long term deal. It's not worth it to sign him to a 2 year bridge deal only to have him walk.

There really are no deals in the NHL that are conditional on players re-signing with their new team. A small part of the return may be conditional but that's it.

Any team trading for a player have to believe they can re-sign a player and are comfortable with the risk that they can't. If they weren't, they don't trade for the player.

Hush

Jan 28, 2013
There really are no deals in the NHL that are conditional on players re-signing with their new team. A small part of the return may be conditional but that's it.

Any team trading for a player have to believe they can re-sign a player and are comfortable with the risk that they can't. If they weren't, they don't trade for the player.

To reword my point, we can assume this is a sign-and-trade, then.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
To reword my point, we can assume this is a sign-and-trade, then.

Those are even rarer. I can guarantee Avs won't sign Barrie to a long term deal and then promptly trade him. It would create all kinds of problems going forward where players wouldn't trust the team negotiating in good faith.

Sounds to me that you would be more comfortable trading for a player that's locked up long term than trading for a 24 year old RFA since you want all kinds of insurance.

Last edited:

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I really doubt that Detroit has any interesting pieces that Colorado would want for Barrie's rights unless a 3-way was done here.

I love how other team's fans keep saying Barrie's rights, like he's a UFA next year and that really diminishes his value or something. He's a RFA for another 3 years. Besides Larkin, I don't think you have the pieces to interest the Avs and beat other teams' offers.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
So is Barrie the latest to be called elite of these boards or is he legit? I am not able to watch as much hockey living where I do.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Since Larkin is likely off the table I'd be looking at DDK as the main piece and that wouldn't solve Detroit's problem.

Don't see a good fit here at all.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
So is Barrie the latest to be called elite of these boards or is he legit? I am not able to watch as much hockey living where I do.

I think the word elite is thrown around too loosely here.

Barrie isn't some elite shut down guy. He's also not even close to the train wreck in his own zone as other fans that don't watch him might have you believe. Defensive lapses, sure. He's made big improvements though. While I don't trust him to defend a 2 on 1, I do trust him to get the puck out of his own zone and up the ice.

That being said, while I don't think he's necessarily elite (EK is elite), Barrie is incredibly good and just not quite in that elite tier.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
The OP favors Detroit heavily. A signed Barrie returns more. The whole "extension in place" agreement is silly. You trade for the current status of the player. Buffalo traded good value for ROR with no extension in place. A ROR with an extension would have cost more. Same for Barrie.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I think the word elite is thrown around too loosely here.

Barrie isn't some elite shut down guy. He's also not even close to the train wreck in his own zone as other fans that don't watch him might have you believe. Defensive lapses, sure. He's made big improvements though. While I don't trust him to defend a 2 on 1, I do trust him to get the puck out of his own zone and up the ice.

That being said, while I don't think he's necessarily elite (EK is elite), Barrie is incredibly good and just not quite in that elite tier.
Thanks. So a Nyquist plus second plus a prosect seems fair then? Maybe a d prospect or Pulkinen? I would like t keep Larkin and the Russian winger whose name I can't spell. Also Mantha and AA. While AA may not be a thirty goal man he has speed and hands which the Wings need.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Thanks. So a Nyquist plus second plus a prosect seems fair then? Maybe a d prospect or Pulkinen? I would like t keep Larkin and the Russian winger whose name I can't spell. Also Mantha and AA. While AA may not be a thirty goal man he has speed and hands which the Wings need.

For an unsigned Barrie alone and no Greer, it'd be a good prospect and Nyquist and a first given he's an RFA now and not a UFA in a year.

I think Larkin and a 1st would be a package of futures but also fair value given that I see the Avs trying to contend in 2 years or so. Losing Barrie for the Avs would/will sting a lot and won't be painless for the aquiring team.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
For an unsigned Barrie alone and no Greer, it'd be a good prospect and Nyquist and a first given he's an RFA now and not a UFA in a year.

I think Larkin and a 1st would be a package of futures but also fair value given that I see the Avs trying to contend in 2 years or so. Losing Barrie for the Avs would/will sting a lot and won't be painless for the aquiring team.
I was not considering Greer just Barrie. If Larkin is required no thanks from me. If Barrie is not elite than no Larkin plus a first, who knows where that pick shall be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->