Line Combos: Barrie the right shot powerplay Quaterback!

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Kadri is the better player. I think he punched his ticket getting suspended last playoff and they had enough. Emotional decision maybe to move him.
No Ceci and no Kerfoot and no Barrie would have left us Gards and Kadri and our 3rd. Ceci and Kadri are a salary wash $4,500,000 each. The salary of Kerfoot and Barrie easily signs gards.

Gards and Kadri are the better players. It was a terrible deal. Babcock is the mastermind behind Barrie being horrible though. I said already i am not mad at Barrie but feel bad for him playing for babcock.

I don’t dislike him. Its just going terrible for him

We’ll agree. Though that D even with Riles on his offside:

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - ?
Dermott - Holl

****ing Barrie, why can’t you just be decent.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I like him a lot, but to suggest he’s playing good this season is a fallacy.
You might know in the past i wanted Kadri playing left side with Tavares and Marner? I’m not sure if you know that. That could have been some line in a top six bottom six style.

Marner is a points machine why!

Reactions: Hustlr

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - ?
Dermott - Holl

Its babcock bro i like him but babs is ruining him. Put him with Rielly and irs better pairs, more effective. Can’t prove that until we see it soooo....

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Its babcock bro i like him but babs is ruining him. Put him with Rielly and irs better pairs, more effective. Can’t prove that until we see it soooo....

Also would like to see more experimentation throughout the regular season.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Can't ****ing stand this trash ass player. Dubass with the stupidest trade in the offseason

haha see your a naz fan too. It really was a bad deal. We needed a Josh Manson right defense. Someone on a term contract for one of the best cap efficient contracts in the league in Kadri.

Someone with some jam in their game and someone to look after things when the Dillons and such are running Matthews or whoever they like with nothing to worry about.

Dillon does that with Kadri in the lineup and its a matter of time before Kadri runs him and fills him in. Better a penalty for charging than the lazy soft tripping and stick slashing we are seeing.

i would rather still have Gards Kadri and our 3rd than Kerfoot and Barrie and a measily 6th. Any day every day

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Hot-takes, hot-takes, come get your hot-takes!

Wait, didn't we hate Muzzin 3 games ago? Wasn't he a terrible trade and slow and terrible? Now, we love him?

As always, stay tuned forward to next-week where everyone completely change their opinions and go back to loving Barrie ;)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Wait, didn't we hate Muzzin 3 games ago? Wasn't he a terrible trade and slow and terrible? Now, we love him?

As always, stay tuned forward to next-week where everyone completely change their opinions and go back to loving Barrie ;)

Not me i love Muzzy. Would like to see Sandin or Lilly partnered with him soon. Always said Muzzy was the one you sign next summer not Barrie. I still hold to that, he’s better than Barrie.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - ?
Dermott - Holl

Reality is we weren’t getting Kerfoot (4 years younger then Kadri and cheaper) AND a top 2 defensmen for only Kadri alone. Most of the value coming back is actually Kerfoot. Barrie is a soft, defensively weak RD and Colorado knows that. If Barrie isn’t lighting it up on the PP I don’t know if he’s even a replacement level player

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Not me i love Muzzy. Would like to see Sandin or Lilly partnered with him soon. Always said Muzzy was the one you sign next summer not Barrie. I still hold to that, he’s better than Barrie.

We're both on that boat. Muzzin is the ideal defender, our best defensive D while being a possession/transition beast. He does have the major brain-farts like Gardiner, so I think that's why other people change their opinions so much on him.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Explain this: Muzzin has been Barrie's partner for pretty much the entire season other than the odd shift here and there. Then how has Barrie managed to be -6 and Muzzin +4? It's almost like Barrie's on the ice for a goal against every time he's on the ice without Muzzin.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I told you guys, being able to skate doesnt make you a good defender.

My by Barrie has played worse than Marincin this year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So far he has been left Leaf fans wanting but he is here for the year due to him being a UFA and his cap it. Hopefully he just needs more time to adjust and/or Babs finds a way to get the best out of him.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Well look if we’re going to end up trading the guy I don’t see why it can’t be one for one for a defenseman more suited to our needs. Barrie has a great cap hit for this year and I’m sure some team could use an offensive defenseman and would part ways with a stay at home guy.

But I think people are too quick to toss him aside. It’s been 13 games and on paper he compliments Muzzin’s skillset well and the balance with those two and Rielly-Ceci should work.

I’d like to see him (hell the whole team really) under a different coach. At this point it hasn’t mattered what personnel Babcock has had, we’ve been a consistently poor defensive team during his whole tenure. Maybe Barrie doesn’t fit in, but I’d like to change Babcock out before shipping a talent like Barrie out.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So far he has been left Leaf fans wanting but he is here for the year due to him being a UFA and his cap it. Hopefully he just needs more time to adjust and/or Babs finds a way to get the best out of him.
That makes it even worse for me, he’s playing for a contract, he should be highly motivated. Still hope it’s just getting acclimated, because to date he’s been awful.

Reactions: ToneDog

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So far he has been left Leaf fans wanting but he is here for the year due to him being a UFA and his cap hit. Hopefully he just needs more time to adjust and/or Babs finds a way to get the best out of him.

You have stated the less emotional and arguably the most balanced assessment. Seems to me that after (or before even) trading away Zaitsev that we worried that Ceci would not be enough to solidify our blueline. So then we trade Kadri for one year of Barrie hoping that would bolster our blueline to a solid playoff capable level.

Given that we lost Kadri, Zaitsev, Gardiner & Hainsey, was Barrie, Kerfoot & Ceci enough to fill the holes and make the team stronger? To me, that's the issue and real question. In essence (while ignoring salary & cap issues for the moment) Barrie was Gardiner's replacement. Ceci was Hainsey's replacement while Kerfoot was Kadri's replacement. I guess the thinking was one of our young defenders would fill the Zaitsev hole.

One of the restrictions and limitations that we were facing was the salary cap. That is definitely a big (real world) factor that can't be ignored.

There's still a lot of the season that hasn't played out yet, so time will tell if our replacement strategy works out. If we are looking at this beyond the horizon of this year, we'll have few defenders under contract next season and will need to make a number of moves to fill out the blueline

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We don't have the luxury of patience with Barrie. He's a UFA who was supposed to come in and give the Leafs a boost in the short time that he's here, not have a bunch of excuses made for him for looking like a donkey.

His offensive impact has been minimal. His defense has been sloppy, his spacing is braindead and he handles the puck like a grenade.

Reactions: DarkKnight

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
We don't have the luxury of patience with Barrie. He's a UFA who was supposed to come in and give the Leafs a boost in the short time that he's here, not have a bunch of excuses made for him for looking like a donkey.

His offensive impact has been minimal. His defense has been sloppy, his spacing is braindead and he handles the puck like a grenade.

This was never even close to a guarantee in terms of defensive improvement - he's an OFD. We're still being exposed as a weak-D team, and we lack a whole bunch of grit and discipline to play 60 minutes of hockey.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

Agreed. It takes a player a while to adjust to new surroundings, as well as being used differently than he was in Colorado. Which is why I don’t really like getting players for one year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

It’s his lack of defensive awareness that really surprises me.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
been saying it forever since the coaching staff wants to play both units a minute each they gotta spread some offense

matthews-nylander-rielly on one unit (matthews/nylander both shoot; rielly is more like Kabarele on PP IMO)

JT-Marner-Barrie (barrie can keep shooting the one-time bombs from the point)

Reactions: TopCheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->