Barrie Colts 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
IMO Nathan Allensen is going to have a huge year. He has great hockey sense and moves the puck very well up the ice, is good defensively with his stick and also has a very good shot from the point! He is on the first pairing with Tucker and the 2nd power play unit! Very underrated d man on this team who was skipped in the NHL draft last year but wouldn't be surprised to see him get taken this year!

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
I think the Colts have the best goalie tandem in the leauge with Jet Greaves and Arturs Silovs. Thoughts?

Reactions: WKBCFAN

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Good question, we had quality picks like Eric Russel in the 3rd round, Austin D'Orazio in the 5th round, and many others who all had great camps with the Colts but just simply no room on the current roster. IMO guys like Rhodes for example are taking away some roster spots from our good quality draft picks. Eric Russel was supposed to be a promising forward but just hasn't been able to crack the roster no matter how good of camps he had. I thought for sure he would make it this year but once again the Colts cut him. He has been playing in the OJHL.
It just jumps out at me when I look at your roster. Your current makeup is:
99's - 4*
00's - 7
01's - 6
02's - 3
03's - 4
Total - 24

Next year you guys will have 8 spots to fill with your graduations and glut of overagers. It can be difficult to sign 18 year olds so you may not get those quality 02's back next year and might have to fill those holes with only 03's and 04's. And you have already signed your top four 03's so finding 8 more players from that pool to plug your holes next year might be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Maybe it's too early to worry about next year, but with this roster composition if I was GM I would have tried my darndest to sign more than three of the 02's this year and hold off on the four 16 year olds. Because those 02's might not be around next year when you need bodies.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Yes, consistency is the biggest question especially for players heading into their draft year. As long as he stays with Suzuki on the top line I think he will put up easily 50 plus points. Like you mentioned with such a deep NHL draft, Tyson could potentially become a 2nd round steal for some teams. Always interesting to see how much a player evolves over the course of a 62 game season! Future is bright for him that's for sure!
Absolutely, thanks for the line combos. One last question, how do you rate his game as a center?

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
It just jumps out at me when I look at your roster. Your current makeup is:
99's - 4*
00's - 7
01's - 6
02's - 3
03's - 4
Total - 24

Next year you guys will have 8 spots to fill with your graduations and glut of overagers. It can be difficult to sign 18 year olds so you may not get those quality 02's back next year and might have to fill those holes with only 03's and 04's. And you have already signed your top four 03's so finding 8 more players from that pool to plug your holes next year might be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Maybe it's too early to worry about next year, but with this roster composition if I was GM I would have tried my darndest to sign more than three of the 02's this year and hold off on the four 16 year olds. Because those 02's might not be around next year when you need bodies.
Very much agree with you, great points! The biggest surprise to me is that we have 7 2000 born players, just crazy.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Very much agree with you, great points! The biggest surprise to me is that we have 7 2000 born players, just crazy.

7/24 19 yr olds is not crazy. 7/8 teams with home ice for last season’s playoffs had at least 6 in their regular 20 player starting line ups

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
7/24 19 yr olds is not crazy. 7/8 teams with home ice for last season’s playoffs had at least 6 in their regular 20 player starting line ups
Not saying its a bad thing, but to HockeyPops point you would think with the direction of this organization they would give some 2002 &2003 born players to gain experience in the league now instead of having guys like Rhodes who don't contribute to the team much take up those roster spots while quality draft picks are playing Jr.B...........

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Can only play 20, you want the currently not good enough 16-17 yr olds to forfeit scholarships and TOI in jr to be the 4 sitting?
Of those 7-2000 born, a few can be OA for the colts next season; and, others may prove valuable enough to be OA for others teams and return picks. If there’s more to be had out of these 19 yr olds let the play/develop in what could be their final season in major junior hockey

Last edited:

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Can only play 20, you want the currently not good enough 16-17 yr olds to forfeit scholarships and TOI in jr to be the 4 sitting?
Of those 7-2000 born, a few can be OA for the colts next season; and, others may prove valuable enough to be OA for others teams and return picks. If there’s more to be had out of these 19 yr olds let the play/develop in what could be their final season in major junior hockey
Just so you know if you are signed to an OHL club, you cannot commit to NCAA teams and other way around.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You missed the point; or, replied to the wrong post. I asked why would a 16-17 yr old give up the chance to get a US scholarship if the colts are not committing to 3-4 years of an OHL education package and/or sit in the stands? And, why would the colts commit to more education $ when the 19 yr old already on the roster possibly worth an OA year gives the team a better chance to win? It’s not likely the team will face any sort of roster crunch next season.
Besides, the team could decide to move out an OA & 19 yr old at the deadline which would make room for a younger player proving OHL ready at that time. There is no urgency for the colts to get younger, imo.
Finally, with Ford, Williamson, & Riechel; the colts have three proven GMs. Why question personnel decisions?

Last edited:

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
You missed the point; or, replied to the wrong post. I asked why would a 16-17 yr old give up the chance to get a US scholarship if the colts are not committing to 3-4 years of an OHL education package and/or sit in the stands? And, why would the colts commit to more education $ when the 19 yr old already on the roster possibly worth an OA year gives the team a better chance to win? It’s not likely the team will face any sort of roster crunch next season.
Besides, the team could decide to move out an OA & 19 yr old at the deadline which would make room for a younger player proving OHL ready at that time. There is no urgency for the colts to get younger, imo.
Finally, with Ford, Williamson, & Riechel; the colts have three proven GMs. Why question personnel decisions?
I'm very confused at the point you are trying to get across.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You stated 7-19 yr olds are too many and should be replaced by 16-17 yr olds; then, expressed concern about next season after I stated teams with 6+ 19 yr olds generally win

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
teams with 6+ 19 yr olds generally win
I would say teams with 6+ 19 yr olds are generally going for it. Is Barrie going for it? It didn't seem so to me, which is why I brought up the demographics to begin with.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would say teams with 6+ 19 yr olds are generally going for it. Is Barrie going for it? It didn't seem so to me, which is why I brought up the demographics to begin with.

It seems next year for Barrie, imo. Still, 3 OA for next season; maybe a couple good enough to get picks next pre-season ... gotta graduate a few players to make room for 2-3 draft picks and an import anyways.
I just don’t think 7-19 yr olds is too many in week two of the season. If 4-5 spot is not looking good at the deadline, trade a valuable graduating player and/or import then.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

They drafted a 1 year NHL drafted Euro goalie. I'd say yes that means they're going for it

Why would you ever take starts away from Greaves if you're not planning on going for it this year?

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They drafted a 1 year NHL drafted Euro goalie. I'd say yes that means they're going for it

Why would you ever take starts away from Greaves if you're not planning on going for it this year?

My thought was that the opportunity to draft the first import G then trade him at the deadline was just potentially too good to pass up

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
My thought was that the opportunity to draft the first import G then trade him at the deadline was just potentially too good to pass up

Could be the case. Will the return for Silovs outweigh getting an Oliver Suni or Ruben Rafkin for 3 years though? I'd think that'd be a definitely not

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
HUGE road win tonight for the Colts as they beat the Sarnia Sting 6-4 & improve to 4-1 on the year! Pekar with 2 goals, Allensen with 2 goals, Brown a 2 point night & all around good road win.
Penalties are a big issue for the Colts this season so far, as they took 8 penalty's tonight and continue to lead the OHL with 105 penalty minutes, the closest team to them is Saginaw with 77. Warren Rychel did state he wanted to lower that number this year as they lead the OHL in penalty minutes last year.

Big one tomorrow night in Windsor and Warren Rychels former team!

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
HUGE road win tonight for the Colts as they beat the Sarnia Sting 6-4 & improve to 4-1 on the year! Pekar with 2 goals, Allensen with 2 goals, Brown a 2 point night & all around good road win.
Penalties are a big issue for the Colts this season so far, as they took 8 penalty's tonight and continue to lead the OHL with 105 penalty minutes, the closest team to them is Saginaw with 77. Warren Rychel did state he wanted to lower that number this year as they lead the OHL in penalty minutes last year.

Big one tomorrow night in Windsor and Warren Rychels former team!
To add on, Colts penalty kill is generating at 70.6%

Last edited:

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Will join in on the discussion above regarding the Colts roster situation. Next year should and likely will be the year no questions asked. Silovs gives the Colts an excellent tandem if be returns next year or not. As we all know the import draft is a crap shoot and from what I've heard Silovs was their 3rd choice. Pekar will be moving on and the Colts have the rights to JJ Peterka plus they can make another selection and still hold onto the rights of Silovs and Peterka until the situation sorts itself out.

As for the age of the roster you will lose the 99s of course. As of right now I'd give Cameron away for free and consider that an upgrade. No doubt Willms and Tortora will be losses but they should be able to develop from within and absorb those losses, Brown is a nice player but again is not a huge impact player. As for the 2000s. Pekar and Tucker likely move on, but Tucker could return and be a very high end OA. Bignell and York likely your other OA options for next year. Rhodes, Hadfield and Prospal will have very little impact and are already losing ground to players like Sredl, Frasca and Del Monte. Three easy spots to fill by rookies next year or even later this year. Let's also not forget they have Zagrzebski as well as a very nice prospect in Collingwood in Vlad Dvurechenskii.

Reactions: haymaker22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad