Barrie Colts 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
I think the biggest thing with this Colts team after watching last nights game is breaking out of their own end. They are trying to hard to create that "fancy play", instead of doing 2-3 quick passes to get out of their own end. Often times I notice how they get caught doing too many passes in their own end and it leads to a turnover and a offensive opportunity for the opposing team. This Colts team may lack some skill, but in this league everyone should be able to breakout of their own end quickly & efficiently.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
I think the biggest thing with this Colts team after watching last nights game is breaking out of their own end. They are trying to hard to create that "fancy play", instead of doing 2-3 quick passes to get out of their own end. Often times I notice how they get caught doing too many passes in their own end and it leads to a turnover and a offensive opportunity for the opposing team. This Colts team may lack some skill, but in this league everyone should be able to breakout of their own end quickly & efficiently.

Add in the fact they just throw blind passes into the middle seemingly at random, I really wonder what's going on at practice. I've seen house league teams play smarter. Looking back to the 2016-17 team, I feel this year's team has much more talent, but they played a solid structure that year.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Add in the fact they just throw blind passes into the middle seemingly at random, I really wonder what's going on at practice. I've seen house league teams play smarter. Looking back to the 2016-17 team, I feel this year's team has much more talent, but they played a solid structure that year.
Yes very good point, and it's weird because Dale still is the coach but I wonder if he switches the systems up on every team he has. Gotta wonder why things aren't clicking, its the simple plays that they seem to not be able to make and it unfortunately costs them games.

styleeano

Aug 30, 2017
Yes very good point, and it's weird because Dale still is the coach but I wonder if he switches the systems up on every team he has. Gotta wonder why things aren't clicking, its the simple plays that they seem to not be able to make and it unfortunately costs them games.
This is what happens when the team start to tune out the coach look at the numbers for some of the players for the past 18 games willms 11 points in 18 games tortora 11 points 18 games suzuki 15 points 18 games look at peca now a point a game player yah he is on a better team but i believed he was a point a game player. the stats dont lie and to those who said ben was lighting it up earlier in the season where is that offence now, 7 points in 18 games

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Fun factoid, former players Lemieux (Jets), Little (Jets),Pearson (Pens), Mangiapane (Flames,1st NHL goal) and finally Lebanc ( Sharks, 1st career trick) scored last night.... not bad for player development I would say....not to mention the other players; Ekblad, TJ Brodie, Rasmussen, Anthanasiou, Clifford etc who dressed yesterday for their NHL clubs.

Reactions: LR8 and dirty12

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Fun factoid, former players Lemieux (Jets), Little (Jets),Pearson (Pens), Mangiapane (Flames,1st NHL goal) and finally Lebanc ( Sharks, 1st career trick) scored last night.... not bad for player development I would say....not to mention the other players; Ekblad, TJ Brodie, Rasmussen, Anthanasiou, Clifford etc who dressed yesterday for their NHL clubs.

Definitely a good time to follow the alumni.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
This team looks worse and worse each game they play. Blows my mind watching them play out there like a bunch of atom house league players. Just awful no wonder why they can never get a good crowd for games, who wants to watch this team play.

Awful.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
The Colts have checked out enough said... Team needs to look at making some serious changes this summer. No way this team should be sitting 7 points out of a playoff spot with this talent.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Next season should be better for you guys. Niagara will be horrendous, Kingston still wont be good, Hamilton will be bad. Ottawa/Oshawa will be really good, Sudbury, Peterborough and North bay will be strong. Wildcards for me would be you guys and Missy

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Team needs to start fresh with a new coach next year and plan towards the 2020-2021 season. They can't get away from this plan and add next year. Will need more assets. They also need to absolutely nail the draft in April with the high picks they have. Hopefully they get a new coaching staff in place as soon as possible, and get plans together for all the players for summer.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Next season should be better for you guys. Niagara will be horrendous, Kingston still wont be good, Hamilton will be bad. Ottawa/Oshawa will be really good, Sudbury, Peterborough and North bay will be strong. Wildcards for me would be you guys and Missy
I think you are wrong about Hamilton. They will be a playoff team and will give good teams fits.

colts29

Nov 12, 2018
Definitely a chance. Team is better than they play most nights. But it might be better for the franchise to miss long term.

1. Definitely a chance - disagree
  2. Team is better than they play most nights - totally disagree
  3. But it might be better for the franchise to miss long term - agree 100%
The Colts for some time now have been providing for our entertainment a team built on mid to late round picks. I other words overage midget calaibre talent. Someone can correct me here but the only 1st round picks that have proven to be impactful players (and not traded away) have been no brainer picks.
  1. Ecblad
  2. Suzucki
  3. Svechnikov
  4. honourable mention to Tucker (although the book is still out)
As i indicated above I agree it would be better for the fan base if the colts missed the playoffs over the next few years. This might wake up the organization and hopefully will make them realize that mediore hockey is not acceptable at this level.

Anyway JMHO

colts29

Nov 12, 2018
IMO I believe there are a few scenerios here;
  1. Big question is will they both return? Tortora will most likely be back unless he choses the college route (however he already tried that). Pekar will be determined by Buffalo and his aagent.
  2. The Colts will be better next year, but how much is debatable. As such it may be more beneficial to trade them both and continue to build for 20-21
  3. Keep them both (if avaialable) and hope for the second round of playoffs.
JMO of course but I would prefer to see them trade both Pekar, Totora as well as Suzucki, and Tucker.

Now before everyone jumps all over this, let me explain. These players will age out, or move on, before the Colts are in a position to challenge for anything. Tortora will age out in 19/20, Pekar (assuming Buffalo doesn't have him in the AHL) will age out in 20/21, Suzucki ages out in 21/22
(assuming he is still here), and tucker ages out in 19/20 (again asuming he is still here)
If my dates are incorrect please someone correct me.

I feel the colts need to take another year of rebuilding, in order to provide some long term sustaianability.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Tucker should be an OA; so, he ages out after 2020-21.
As is, Barrie is the league’s youngest team. Barrie would do well to keep Tucker & Suzuki for the next two seasons, imo. Keep Totora too, for that matter.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Tucker should be an OA; so, he ages out after 2020-21.
As is, Barrie is the league’s youngest team. Barrie would do well to keep Tucker & Suzuki for the next two seasons, imo. Keep Totora too, for that matter.
Yup much agreed, with multiple prospects in the system that are ready to make the jump to the OHL, next year could be a very good year for the team. Players like Duhart, Foerster, Piercy will be looking to start playing a larger role on the team and provide a lot of offence.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just as long as HC Hawerchuck isn't there; he does not like providing ample ice time to younger players.

Piercy, Foerster, Suzuki, Allensen, Greaves, Duhart, Douglas, Tucker, Svechnikov, ... Blackwood, Ekblad all given as much ice time as they proved capable of handling without being a detriment to the team.
Zukov, Nizhnikov, Lipanov had time on ice taken away for not performing.

Last edited:

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Piercy, Foerster, Suzuki, Allensen, Greaves, Duhart, Douglas, Tucker, Svechnikov, ... Blackwood, Ekblad all given as much ice time as they proved capable of handling without being a detriment to the team.
Zukov, Nizhnikov, Lipanov had time on ice taken away for not performing.

There's a difference between playing young A grade talent, playing true prospects within a veteran team.
Don't look at this season as they have to play everyone.
Dale's history speaks for itself; he rides his vets and gives the A prospects ice time "he feels they are worthy of" and the rest are left to fend for themselves.
Whether it is right or wrong is not really debatable, it is just Hawerchuck's way of coaching.

colts29

Nov 12, 2018
Congrates to the boys for the win.
Can anyone provide some insight into last nites game. Seemed a little odd based on SOG. Saw a couple of the replays and appeared the Ottawa goalie was having an off nite.
Anyway a win is a win and we will take it.

colts29

Nov 12, 2018
Yup much agreed, with multiple prospects in the system that are ready to make the jump to the OHL, next year could be a very good year for the team. Players like Duhart, Foerster, Piercy will be looking to start playing a larger role on the team and provide a lot of offence.

So how do think Barrie will shape up next year compared to some of the other teams ie: Ottawa, Oshawa, Sudbury, Mississauga, London, Peterborough, SSM,?

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Few thoughts on some of the above comments. The team with a large 2001/02 born core with lots of high 2003 picks as well as some more high import selections appear to be building for the 2020-21 season. Next year will be another development year and the team should look to be in the 5th to 8th spot in the east. As for trades. Suzuki would be your centerpiece for the 2021 run in his final season.

Tucker will be a wait and see as we see how realistic it is for him returning as an OA. If he's signed with the blues it would make sense to get some assets for him for the go for it year.

Pekar I would like back, but as a import the trade market is limited and it may be better for the team to bring in two multi year imports for the 2020-21 target. Also as mentioned will depend on what buffalo does. He can play pro next year. Tortora again will depend on where the team is and what the offers at the deadline are. But keeping him for experience wouldn't be a bad idea.

The key for next year will not to deviate from this plan. Build assets and not spend unless it helps the future. Would also say I'm in the side that's leaning towards moving on from Hawerchuk as coach. Time for a new voice behind the bench.

As for the game last night, yeah they got outshot but I think that was one of the most cohesive games I've seen from them in a while. Greaves was solid as usual and Foerster continues to develop at a rapid pace. York continues to look better and better as well. Unbelievable release on that shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad