Barrie Colts 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Any insight into whatever happened to Zhukov? He was very highly touted coming into this season. Is he just not that good? what happened? Surely they could have traded him for something.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Any insight into whatever happened to Zhukov? He was very highly touted coming into this season. Is he just not that good? what happened? Surely they could have traded him for something.

He was below average and pretty disappointing really. Definitely talented, but was inconsistent and ended up losing the job. Being a 99 born import with below average numbers there was likely very little value. I'd imagine they tried putting him through waivers before releasing him.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
What is it with Riley Piercy and not being able to develop and improve his overall game? Ice time? Lack of skill?
Was a first round pick and seems to me that he's not living up to that.
Any thoughts?

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Really starting to like that line of Brown-Suzuki-Tortora.
Seemed to have great chemistry and has a good combination of skill to compete against opposing teams top players.
Brown has a nice shot but can lay the body
Suzuki is a set up man/finisher
Tortora is the finisher

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
What is it with Riley Piercy and not being able to develop and improve his overall game? Ice time? Lack of skill?
Was a first round pick and seems to me that he's not living up to that.
Any thoughts?

I'd say part of it being that he's still very raw and growing into his size, and the other being that he's been placed firmly into Hawerchuk's doghouse and seems to lack some confidence because of that.

outforarip

Oct 6, 2018
I'd say part of it being that he's still very raw and growing into his size, and the other being that he's been placed firmly into Hawerchuk's doghouse and seems to lack some confidence because of that.

I am glad this is being brought to light because it does seem interesting. This is my first year with season tickets and I have thought for sometime when will the Colts give an opportunity to their first round pick? I wonder how can a player be scouted by Team Canada and play for under 17, scouted by all teams and rated very high fro 2018 draft, get selected in the first round but never get a real sniff? The strangest thing about this situation is that every other player that has been acquired this year has been given plenty of time and opportunity to get comfortable and show what they can contribute. Maybe they have big plans for this kid but that seems hard to believe at this point.
From what I have seen he definitely isn't a defensive liability and that 4th line seems to spend a considerable amount of time in the offensive end. Weird?? I guess we will have to see what happens but this does seem like Piercy deliberately isn't getting a solid chance.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
I am glad this is being brought to light because it does seem interesting. This is my first year with season tickets and I have thought for sometime when will the Colts give an opportunity to their first round pick? I wonder how can a player be scouted by Team Canada and play for under 17, scouted by all teams and rated very high fro 2018 draft, get selected in the first round but never get a real sniff? The strangest thing about this situation is that every other player that has been acquired this year has been given plenty of time and opportunity to get comfortable and show what they can contribute. Maybe they have big plans for this kid but that seems hard to believe at this point.
From what I have seen he definitely isn't a defensive liability and that 4th line seems to spend a considerable amount of time in the offensive end. Weird?? I guess we will have to see what happens but this does seem like Piercy deliberately isn't getting a solid chance.

Well said. I thought recently he has started to play some of his best hockey as well, and then was rewarded by getting healthy scratched. There's more here than working a young rookie into the lineup at this point, meanwhile Benny costs his team a goal by stupidly fighting Friday in London and doesn't miss a shift.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Well said. I thought recently he has started to play some of his best hockey as well, and then was rewarded by getting healthy scratched. There's more here than working a young rookie into the lineup at this point, meanwhile Benny costs his team a goal by stupidly fighting Friday in London and doesn't miss a shift.
Much agreed guys. Ive been a Colts fan for almost 7 years now and a common trend I'm starting to notice is that the Colts do a poor job at developing players, especially a first round pick like Piercy. We've seen players like Matt Brassed (Canucks prospect), Kade Landry, Christian Propp, and many more in recent years get traded or asked to be traded because of the limited amount of ice they were seeing, and than they get traded and start tp become key pieces to their new teams. Another player that comes to mind is Giavani Smith ( Detroit Red Wings), Colts barely gave him a shot and he went on to be a pretty darn good player in the O.

Thoughts?

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Much agreed guys. Ive been a Colts fan for almost 7 years now and a common trend I'm starting to notice is that the Colts do a poor job at developing players, especially a first round pick like Piercy. We've seen players like Matt Brassed (Canucks prospect), Kade Landry, Christian Propp, and many more in recent years get traded or asked to be traded because of the limited amount of ice they were seeing, and than they get traded and start tp become key pieces to their new teams. Another player that comes to mind is Giavani Smith ( Detroit Red Wings), Colts barely gave him a shot and he went on to be a pretty darn good player in the O.

Thoughts?

Could definitely build a contender with players Dale has buried in the lineup and have eventually been traded or held back in the lineup for years. Perlini might be the most alarming example. Not NHL prospects, but solid players such as Josh MacDonald, Dylan Smoskowitz, Brandon Devlin and Brendan Bell some more from Dale's early days in Barrie. Time for a new voice behind the bench, or maybe an old one. Wouldn't mind having Marty Williamson back.

Reactions: Colts 5656

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Barrie drafts well in mid to later rounds but not so well in the first unless they get the first overall pick. The other issue you've had up front for five years is gone after this year and he has had every opportunity to develop.

colts29

Nov 12, 2018
Could definitely build a contender with players Dale has buried in the lineup and have eventually been traded or held back in the lineup for years. Perlini might be the most alarming example. Not NHL prospects, but solid players such as Josh MacDonald, Dylan Smoskowitz, Brandon Devlin and Brendan Bell some more from Dale's early days in Barrie. Time for a new voice behind the bench, or maybe an old one. Wouldn't mind having Marty Williamson back.

Marty Williamson LOL sorry

colts29

Nov 12, 2018
Barrie drafts well in mid to later rounds but not so well in the first unless they get the first overall pick. The other issue you've had up front for five years is gone after this year and he has had every opportunity to develop.

Agree with your comments, in fact I believe there was a post a few years ago listing Barries 1st round draft picks and the subsequent trading of all the same picks.
IDK what Barrie really has on staff for scouts or do they just rely on the views of others??

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Thoughts?

Under Ford & Hawerchuk, a lot of potentially good young players got traded because the colts are almost always adding for the playoffs. Recent early picks kept (Tucker, Suzuki, Svechnikov) developed fine. Previously Ekblad, Schiefle, ... developed fine. Duhart seems fine. Maybe Piercey is not as ready for more minutes at 16 as those other players at 16 or 17.

styleeano

Aug 30, 2017
I think when the coach & son are gone you will start to see massive improvement. The team is better than the product you are seeing and you will see that under new leadership

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
I think when the coach & son are gone you will start to see massive improvement. The team is better than the product you are seeing and you will see that under new leadership
Much agreed! Heard in the past of Dale & Ben being disliked in the room for certain reasons, new voice in the room might change the whole perspective of this team next year and could potentially put them in a better place!

Reactions: Lycanthrope

colts29

Nov 12, 2018
Under Ford & Hawerchuk, a lot of potentially good young players got traded because the colts are almost always adding for the playoffs. Recent early picks kept (Tucker, Suzuki, Svechnikov) developed fine. Previously Ekblad, Schiefle, ... developed fine. Duhart seems fine. Maybe Piercey is not as ready for more minutes at 16 as those other players at 16 or 17.

ICBW but if memory serves me correct Schieffle was drafted by Saginaw and BArrie traded for him. Although he did develope quite nicely in BArrie.

In regards to Ekblad, no disrespect but any 5 year old could have made that pick. However it does seem that in the last few years the Colts have turned the page on keeping their 1st round picks.

Realistically the Colts have not done too bad in the mid to late round picks. IE: Pearson, Clifford, (Altough Clifford was a 2nd rd pick), Lebanc, and walk ons like Magiapanne. It is nice too see them forgoing the short term gains philosophy.

Don't get me wrong I am not a big Hawerchuck fan, and I agree bringing his son into the fold was a bad mstake. Something I hav said before that IMO DH is arguably the best offensive coach in the 'O' but a head coach not so much.

But lets not kid ourselfs the nepotism in the Colts organization is no different than most of the other organizations, and until the league addresses this, it will continue to be an issue.

With regards to Svechnikov, not sure his coming to Barrie would have made much of a differnce in his developement or draft position.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
ICBW but if memory serves me correct Schieffle was drafted by Saginaw and BArrie traded for him. Although he did develope quite nicely in BArrie.

In regards to Ekblad, no disrespect but any 5 year old could have made that pick. However it does seem that in the last few years the Colts have turned the page on keeping their 1st round picks.

Realistically the Colts have not done too bad in the mid to late round picks. IE: Pearson, Clifford, (Altough Clifford was a 2nd rd pick), Lebanc, and walk ons like Magiapanne. It is nice too see them forgoing the short term gains philosophy.

Don't get me wrong I am not a big Hawerchuck fan, and I agree bringing his son into the fold was a bad mstake. Something I hav said before that IMO DH is arguably the best offensive coach in the 'O' but a head coach not so much.

But lets not kid ourselfs the nepotism in the Colts organization is no different than most of the other organizations, and until the league addresses this, it will continue to be an issue.

With regards to Svechnikov, not sure his coming to Barrie would have made much of a differnce in his developement or draft position.

Mostly agree, just saying the colts early picks mostly were traded or thrived. Their development was not stalled by Hawerchuk.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Much agreed! Heard in the past of Dale & Ben being disliked in the room for certain reasons, new voice in the room might change the whole perspective of this team next year and could potentially put them in a better place!
I guess there is a such thing as overstaying your welcome as a coach...ahem Butler. Colts still in contention for the playoffs. Makes it more interesting down the stretch.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I guess there is a such thing as overstaying your welcome as a coach...ahem Butler. Colts still in contention for the playoffs. Makes it more interesting down the stretch.

It’s not much of a thing in the OHL as most are 3-4 year players. If a kid has a problem with Stan’s message, Stan moves him; no more problem. Ford and Hawerchuk have worked well together. The colts went from league worst to first in their division in one season. They needed this season to re-load. The problem with the coaching (right now) is the core age of the respective teams. Barrie must be one of the youngest. NB is building around 17 yr olds. Butler being away from the team from pre-season to Christmas did not help.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
It’s not much of a thing in the OHL as most are 3-4 year players. If a kid has a problem with Stan’s message, Stan moves him; no more problem. Ford and Hawerchuk have worked well together. The colts went from league worst to first in their division in one season. They needed this season to re-load. The problem with the coaching (right now) is the core age of the respective teams. Barrie must be one of the youngest. NB is building around 17 yr olds. Butler being away from the team from pre-season to Christmas did not help.
Ya but your program can get stale. Other than Kilrea who was in a league of his own I think new ideas and faces can be beneficial. Especially in the case of Butler and many North Bay fans would agree.

Reactions: Colts 5656

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ya but your program can get stale. Other than Kilrea who was in a league of his own I think new ideas and faces can be beneficial. Especially in the case of Butler and many North Bay fans would agree.

Probably most right now, the team is below 0.500. And yeah, new ideas are good. That’s where assistant coach/GM comes in. The D lead offence and stretch pass that was working so well with Dineen and end of last season Thilander is being sat on and picked off at an alarming rate. Butler, Dennis, and the young players will work through it, I’m sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->