Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't know if Sommers is at fault because DW likes and is all about trades. He trades away the younger guys coming up from the AHL, and trades for NHL roster players. He thinks 1st round picks are the devil and must be gotten rid of. That is pretty much his tenure at the Sharks from my recollection.

Perhaps all other other GMs get excited when DW comes to the trading table? Much like Kane when he went to the poker table. His trade acumen hasn't been that great lately. Just look at Jones and EK65. I know that EK65 is a fan favorite, but he not a good fit here.

What's bad about EK65 is DW trading for him. He trades a 1st pick plus more and fails to sign him to an extension. But instead, he signs him at full price in the FA market. Quite the opposite from how Vegas traded for Stone.

The executive suite in Vegas is far better than the Sharks. To me, that's one of the major contributors on why we see a difference in the standings. I would think Hasso needs to shake up the executive suite this off-season, but I said that last off-season. Who knows what Hasso will do.

Last edited:

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I don't know if Sommers is at fault because DW likes and is all about trades. He trades away the younger guys coming up from the AHL, and trades for NHL roster players. He thinks 1st round picks are the devil and must be gotten rid of. That is pretty much his tenure at the Sharks from my recollection.

Perhaps all other other GMs get excited when DW comes to the trading table? Much like Kane when he went to the poker table. His trade acumen hasn't been that great lately. Just look at Jones and EK65. I know that EK65 is a fan favorite, but he not a good fit here.

What's bad about EK65 is DW trading for him. He trades a 1st pick plus more and fails to sign him to an extension. But instead, he signs him at full price in the FA market. Quite the opposite from how Vegas traded for Stone.

The executive suite in Vegas is far better than the Sharks. To me, that's one of the major contributors on why we see a difference in the standings. I would think Hasso needs to shake up the executive suite this off-season, but I said that last off-season. Who knows what Hasso will do.
1E51363A-7F43-45CC-8F43-E9D5F085B0F3.gif

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Shame they didn't show that last power play on postgame, that was some pretty play from Halbgewachs in the buildup to the goal.

IDK, I saw the full game on AHL.TV :sarcasm:

The TV schedule may have limited how long they could show game. (Or the AHL only allowed certain length of view-in. More and they'd have to pay $$$$$$$$)

Reactions: Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

cat-facepalm

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

It's an innocent-sounding quote, but that's really where a lot of my issues with Merkley have been. He needs to be better at, well, showing effort at playing his position. And that's quite a way of putting it- does he not understand that he needs to play defense at times? So this is by no means a scouting report on him, but more just a spotlight on a couple plays where he was frustrating.

He tends to go into autopilot at inopportune times:

(Also emphasizing that, like the tweet says, this is the AHL's goalscoring leader he's just idly standing behind)

Other times, he seems to have forgotten he's a defenseman- watch him forechecking at the beginning of this one, for some reason:

https://twitter.com/Condors/status/1381068802117431297?s=20

The offensive side of his game, that's coming along just fine. What I'd like to see from him next year is increased engagement, though. I could write a lot on what I'd like to see from him, but it mostly does just come back around to that.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

It's an innocent-sounding quote, but that's really where a lot of my issues with Merkley have been. He needs to be better at, well, showing effort at playing his position. And that's quite a way of putting it- does he not understand that he needs to play defense at times? So this is by no means a scouting report on him, but more just a spotlight on a couple plays where he was frustrating.

(Also emphasizing that, like the tweet says, this is the AHL's goalscoring leader he's just idly standing behind)

Other times, he seems to have forgotten he's a defenseman- watch him forechecking at the beginning of this one, for some reason:

The offensive side of his game, that's coming along just fine. What I'd like to see from him next year is increased engagement, though. I could write a lot on what I'd like to see from him, but it mostly does just come back around to that.

He looks like he thinks he can read the plays but at the professional level that’s nearly impossible.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Does Kellman have a shot at top 6 scoring role for next season with the Sharks?

Almost zero chance.

He's, what, 25 and a middling AHL producer? He's looked slightly overwhelmed at the NHL level...very unlikely to have the skill to be an NHL third-liner. There is a higher chance of someone like Gambrell taking a big step or someone like Bordleau surprising out of the blue.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Realistically, no - he tops out as a 3C and I think that's if he's lucky. Couture, Kane, Hertl, Meier, Labanc, Balcers, and a few other guys are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Both True and Kellman deserved some chances at 4C, because that's where I'd see both of them fitting were they to make the NHL. Marleau was there most of the season and there wasn't any way he was coming out of the lineup, so they're out of luck I guess.

We've still got Kellman next season, maybe we'll see more of him then.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Both True and Kellman deserved some chances at 4C, because that's where I'd see both of them fitting were they to make the NHL. Marleau was there most of the season and there wasn't any way he was coming out of the lineup, so they're out of luck I guess.

We've still got Kellman next season, maybe we'll see more of him then.

The only reason Marleau was playing center was because the team insisted on playing Sorensen, Gabriel, and Viel. Kellman and True can and should both play on the 4th line with Marleau before Barabanov showed up. But even now, Leonard could use some AHL time while both those guys get their deserved shots. Hell, I'd play Kellman over Gambrell at this point. The fact is that he's been more effective in his time here than Gambrell but Gambrell continues to get opportunities because of his draft pedigree on this team.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not wholly Barracuda related, but the Canucks have announced that they're moving their AHL affiliate to Abbotsford, B.C. for the 2021-22 season.

Woo, I can potentially go watch some Cuda games live!

EDIT: also do they no longer sell the orange jerseys? Last time I looked they didn't have my size, but now the pro shop website doesn't list any Barracuda jerseys besides the teal one.

EDIT 2: The AHL's league-wide shop does have the oranges, but only in large.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Cuda's orange are a specialty jersey. They maybe wear them 2-3 times/season recently. (And then they've put them up for auction.)

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Sure Merkley could have done something better on this play I guess, but of all the Sharks involved in that play I have no idea why you want to focus on him.

99 defends no one, and not only did he defend no one, he started off making it look like he was playing his man (the eventual scorer) only to peel off the second he gets into the zone, and Merkley stops playing it like a 2v1 because he thought 99 was going to stay on that forward.

24 stares at the puck the ENTIRE clip, leaving 7 wide open for that pass to the right wing. He was completely useless on that play. He was not playing the pass, not pressuring the puck carrier, not blocking a shot, not doing anything of use at all.

Merkley on the other hand was at the very least, a) the only one in defensive position at the start of that rush b) had to play essentially a 2v1, c) between the puck carrier, the scorer, and the net, cutting off the direct shot/pass to that guy. If the pass to the right wing was defended by 24 there is a much better chance that was not a scoring play because Merkley was at least impeding the direct shot/pass despite the fact no one else was defending shit on that play.

What do you want Merkley to do here? Cross check the dude in the back away from the puck and while not in the crease? He tried to tie the stick up, and missed getting the guys leg instead. Otherwise Merkely is standing right with his man, as you would hope/expect the defender to do. So outside of potentially taking a penalty roughing the guy, what should Merkley do exactly beside stand there?

Looks like a PK, he skates up the ice a bit with his man while the puck is being cleared and a line change is going on, then promptly hustles back when he notices its like 3v1 the other direction because once again no one else is defending anything. Coe (I think) literally is just standing around, even when the play turns back towards the Sharks zone he barely even gets into the defensive zone by the time the goal is scored. The other forward also is doing very little on that play.

Merkley busts his ass back, and ties up the stick of the guy in the middle the entire time they're in the Dzone, but no one helps defend the other winger.

So even if you think Merkley should not pressure up the ice, and I have no idea what his responsibility is on the Barracuda PK in that situation, he still busted his ass getting back, unlike others, and was in defensive position for the guy in the middle of the ice at least. Whereas the forwards on that play were defending nothing.

Looks like his offense is abysmal if you ask me, especially considering the sort of offensive gifts Merkley has. However if the coaching staff really is looking at clips like the one above and forcing Merkley to focus on that nonsense instead of getting his offensive production fixed first, I can now see why Merkley is doing jack shit in the AHL.

Might as well tell Burns, and Karlsson to stop playing offense and being aggressive, and focus on playing defense like Pronger. Not only will they not be able to, they will being doing nothing that makes them special offensively too, and thus be complete wastes of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad