Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
5-3 final. True added another for us.

Bad turnovers and too many mistakes. Tucson was one of the best teams in the league last year, but still. First goal was all on Melnichuk, he came out of the net to play a dump in and the puck slowed down enough that it wasn't going to reach the trapezoid. He never gave up on it and Tucson basically scored on an empty net. Kellman had a turnover that led to another.

Really hoping Jeremy Gregoire gets suspended for this BS. I don't know what justified this:

Last edited:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Considering most of our organization's talent doesn't seem to be great handlers of the puck to begin with, this isn't altogether unsurprising.

Sometimes, I think Karlsson doesn't look as good as we think he should because he passes to where people SHOULD be or they can't handle his pass at all. Maybe if he stays healthy some of the guys start reading him better and be able to actually take advantage of the things he does. I'm not saying he's been amazing or anything, but I've seen a lot of guys completely mess up his plays by not realizing what he's doing.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Stars scored late in first and early in second to tie up.

But then

Star player knocked true on top of sprawling goalie and fell on top. Jayden put goalie on side.

Cuda retake lead

Harvey has made some excellent saves.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
That Stars defense looks awfully familiar.

Still, congratulations to Ozzy - scoring in the AHL at 18 isn't easy.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Mostly similar look to yesterday. Robins sits out again.

Most notable guys that haven't featured in a game yet (don't know why) are Hamaliuk and Coe.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007

Mostly similar look to yesterday. Robins sits out again.

Most notable guys that haven't featured in a game yet (don't know why) are Hamaliuk and Coe.

No Ozzie. Do the WHL guys have to head back and report now that they are getting ready to start up?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Watching Merkley tonight, and it's a bit of an experience. He doesn't look great - doesn't like to move his feet, doesn't finish checks, and just kind of plays like cone out there. Glued to his defensive corner. But then the puck pops onto his stick and you are like holy crap where did that come from? He will dangle the puck away from a pair of forwards literally in his skates to keep possession to make the reverse behind the net. And you're like what in the hell is this. I don't think he is even close to NHL ready - but he could be a difference maker if he rounds out the rest of his game.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Watching Merkley tonight, and it's a bit of an experience. He doesn't look great - doesn't like to move his feet, doesn't finish checks, and just kind of plays like cone out there. Glued to his defensive corner. But then the puck pops onto his stick and you are like holy crap where did that come from? He will dangle the puck away from a pair of forwards literally in his skates to keep possession to make the reverse behind the net. And you're like what in the hell is this. I don't think he is even close to NHL ready - but he could be a difference maker if he rounds out the rest of his game.

He has a strange habit in the defensive zone of going to the front of our net and just standing there. I don't think he's been that bad defensively on the season, but that sort of thing has been noticeable.

That was a great assist he just had on the second Blichfeld goal, though.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I actually like Merks game tonight. Hes not a big boy and hes not going to be throwing big hits and boxing people. Hes made some decent defensive plays and his passes have been great. Why they wont play him on PP1 I have no idea

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WHL and OHL guys will head back a day or to before "camp". (Plus a couple of weeks required for Canadian quarantine :dunno: )

Haven't heard if they are doing a camp, or preseason, or just jumping into two-dozen game season or what.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I'd like to see Antti Suomela get another shot at the NHL. He's a much more complete player now. He plays defense, he PKs, he's not afraid to body up. He's worked hard to improve on the things they said he needed to improve on. Unfortunately, I feel like if he gets called up this season, he gets stuck in taxi squad limbo. That's the weird thing about call-ups right now.

Speaking of which, if the Sharks aren't going to play Chmelevski, shouldn't they send him back down here? The guy has played one professional hockey game in 2021. It's great they think enough of him to keep him with the NHL club, but at some point he should be playing in competitive games, somewhere.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Any intel on D Karlis Cukste? He already had 16 GP in Latvia so he shouldn't be in a bad shape.

He can't get on boat or some injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad