TV: Barney Miller. Two pilots one script.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I came across both pilots on youtube and found it interesting how just a couple of recast change the show and made it better. You can see why the first pilot did not sell

In the first pilot. Charles Haid of Hill street blues played a character that would morph into Max Gail's Wojo. Haid was good as Renko in Hill street blues but Gail was just perfect as wojo.

We always here about recasts and reshooting of pilots--it is nothing new. But I find it interesting to compare 2 pilots that more or less used the same script(somethings were tweeked). If you are of a certain age you remember Barney Miller, so this thread is for you..my guess some may have never heard of it before

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Barney Miller gets lost in the shuffle because there were so many other legendary sitcoms of that era, but it was a funny yet intelligent series that still holds up well today.

A lot of series had to tweak things after their first pilot episode. The unaired pilot episode of There's Company did not have Joyce DeWitt or Suzanne Somers, and John Ritter's character was an aspiring filmmaker named David instead of an aspiring chef named Jack.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Barney Miller gets lost in the shuffle because there were so many other legendary sitcoms of that era, but it was a funny yet intelligent series that still holds up well today.

A lot of series had to tweak things after their first pilot episode. The unaired pilot episode of There's Company did not have Joyce DeWitt or Suzanne Somers, and John Ritter's character was an aspiring filmmaker named David instead of an aspiring chef named Jack.
is the threes company first pilot on line and can you post it. The reason for the thread is that in the video I posted has both pilots in it. I understand that changes always happen but getting to see the full pilots of all the changes is sometimes difficult

Bahama Mama

Sunny days
Oct 12, 2022
Winding Bay

Recently watched the series from first to last episode,still very good,funny and well written with excellent characters well performed.

Reactions: angusyoung

Dec 29, 2004
Great show. They tweaked the theme song every season.

I prefer season this one:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Probably my favorite tv show of all, still watch it. A nice mix of comedy and drama, a fun cast, interesting characters. Went on a ratings site and the highest rated episode by far was the Jack Soo retrospective. He was a special dude ('very well put').

At least some of the shows must have been inspired by real incidents. The one dollar counterfeiter resembled Emerich Juettner's story. Great show.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
One of my favourite shows ever - CLASSIC theme - I still quote the show often with a buddy of mine - I also did a complete rewatch, maybe about five years ago. So funny. Still pisses me off that Little Levitt was the snitch.
Loved Inspector Luger, and Dietrich. And Bruno Binder hahaha.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad