Barkov vs Pettersson

Who's better now and going forward?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think it's pretty close right now and leaning toward Barkov. He has similar and arguably more talent in a bigger frame, and had both the high scoring season Pettersson hasn't had as well as a dominant defensive year. He also was playing through injury a lot of this season so it's possible his numbers are a bit deflated. But he's also a bit of a weird player who hasn't really translated his skills to production save for that one season, and who can be very good defensively, but hasn't succeeded in doing so in recent years. In general, his production outside of '19 has hovered around what Pettersson has put up since he's been in the league, and that's with him playing more minutes.

Meanwhile, Pettersson's underlying numbers this year were very good, even though I think they look a little better due to good teammates and poor depth behind him. Pettersson was better this year, but you could argue Barkov was off due to injury and has the track record. With Pettersson's age, it's possible this is just the start and he will keep being better than Barkov, which would make him better now. I still feel like Barkov would be a little safer

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I love Barkov as a player but you really need to watch EP play he has a very mature game and an offensive skillset that is more dynamic than Barkov as well.

Can't go wrong with either guy really.
Fully agree with you guys, I shouldn’t have came off too aggressively as you guys aren’t leafs fans. Bright future and a likeable team.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Pettersson had more goals and points than Barkov this season so not sure what you’re talking about. He has one year of being above PPG in his entire career so I don’t get why you’re acting like he’s a regular 95+ Center.
He is still young and he has that season to his name. Peterson hasn't even hit PPG yet

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Barkov is better now. In the future, who knows, but Pettersson would need a 100+ point, Selke calibre year to overtake what Barkov has already done.

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
Barkov is better now. In the future, who knows, but Pettersson would need a 100+ point, Selke calibre year to overtake what Barkov has already done.

Is that 100 points and Selke-calibre defensive play in the same season? Because Barkov has achieved neither of those things in any season he's played thus far. Pretty silly thing to say.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I’d really like to hear the justification in which a player who is five years younger, and just out scored the older player during the most recent season where they both played the same amount of games, is not better currently, let alone in the future.

People still think Barkov is the defensive player he was three years ago and that’s simply not the case. As his offense increased, his defensive impact took a hit.

In fact I think there can be an argument made that Pettersson is currently the better defensive player.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
And Barkov has done it once. Barkov was drafted in 2013 and will be 25 soon. How can you prove that season wasn't an outliner? He's in his 7th NHL season and has only been PPG ONCE. EP outscored him in both points and goal this season.
He has improved every year except this year when he was injured. EP did not take the next step this year.

datboichoi

May 26, 2020
He has improved every year except this year when he was injured. EP did not take the next step this year.
I understand that you’re a casual fan who forms opinions on hockey DB, but Pettersson was absolutely fantastic this year based on two way results.

Reactions: nowhereman

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
Barkov is one of the best centers in the game, we are asking pretty much from EP.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Pettersson, pretty easily.

Not sure how Barkov got this ridiculous reputation. He's not even the best player on his own line.

Mar 26, 2010
How about being less predictable for once.

---

EP is better now and in the future.
Strongly disagree. Pettersson is the most overrated player in the NHL. Yes, he is a good player, but no where near the hype he gets.

He is not throwing up multiple 40 goal seasons, or anything like that. The NHL is full of 20 goal scorers like him.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Barkov was the best player in Team Finland in 2014 Olympics prior to his injury, and those were his first National team games ever, more points in a season in Panthers history than anyone while playing more than reliable defensive game, while Petterson is great and very entertaining he has done nothing to warrant being called better than Barkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad