Barkov vs Matthews

Who is better?

• Barkov

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Oh look yet another Leafs player on the verge of losing a poll when he should be far ahead. Barkov hasn't even hit 30 goals yet in his 5 NHL seasons. Matthews on the other hand with 40 and 34 goal seasons, the latter season missing 20 games.
Oh so that's the only meter I shall look into... Not all-around play. Thanks for the tip Leaf homer for lighting my day again. :laugh:'

What I've learned that when the comparison is against for example Laine (the better goal scorer), then you need to use the all-around play to get the edge for Matthews. That's how it works.

Last edited:

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
MacKinnon
Bergeron
Kopitar
Scheifele
Getzlaf
Seguin
Stamkos
You could slot in Barkov, Tavares, Matthews and Backstrom anywhere behind the top 3 and I wouldn't argue with it. The centers ranked 4-12 are interchangeable IMO depending on what qualities are favored.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You can certainly argue that Tavares is a top 10. I don’t really see any credible argument that Matthews is a top 10 at this point though. I’d hope that even the more exuberant Leaf fans would acknowledge that.
well Matthews is ahead of Tavares, so there's that. The only edge Tavares has on him is way more powerplay time

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews is not ahead of Tavares. He has not yet even cracked 80 points. Hold your horses there cowboy!
he's had two years in the league and has already paced for 80 points. also, Tavares has never gotten 40 goals. no point evaluating based on arbitrary totals though. Matthews simply has a higher impact on the game

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
well Matthews is ahead of Tavares, so there's that. The only edge Tavares has on him is way more powerplay time

I'd easily take Matthews over Tavares. I think he was a better player last year than Tavares was, and I think he'll continue to be a better player going forward.

There, I said it.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Barkov is better in anything but goal scoring. Matthews might get to Barkov's level, or even better, but right now it's Barkov pretty easily.

Reactions: Jorkkila

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'd easily take Matthews over Tavares. I think he was a better player last year than Tavares was, and I think he'll continue to be a better player going forward.

There, I said it.
good take. I like Tavares, but Matthews has a stronger case to being a top 10 center than he does in my eyes. Especially going forward

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I'd like to know how "one of the best offensive players in the league" isn't putting up even 70 points. Yet this guys who's "not as nearly as good offensively" almost put up 80 points.
And also if AM is so great defensively, why isn't he getting any Selke votes? After all, if the supposed gap is so small, then surely he would be getting some votes, being so close to the guy who was 4th in Selke voting. Would seem like no brainers to a top 10 player like AM...

Reactions: MVPGoon

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And HF voted Tavares the 4th best C in the league just a few months ago... So weird... So weird.
Not really. HF board polls are often a snapshot at a given time. That was when he was top 5 in NHL scoring and looking like he was going to smash his career high in pts. In the 2nd half. He completely fell off in the 2nd half last season where a rookie Barzal passed him in pts. It is not peculiar for people that watched him play. Only for people like you perhaps that did not follow the Isles play last year.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Not really. HF board polls are often a snapshot at a given time. That was when he was top 5 in NHL scoring and looking like he was going to smash his career high in pts. In the 2nd half. He completely fell off in the 2nd half last season where a rookie Barzal passed him in pts. It is not peculiar for people that watched him play. Only for people like you perhaps that did not follow the Isles play last year.
Yes a snapshot in time is right. While he was rated high he was not yet a leaf. Once he signed he then became overrated.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Actually, yes, it’s true.

He still finished top 10 in C scoring, 5 points above 11th. To say he’s not even top 10 anymore is a joke.
You didn't see him play late in the year. Listen I like Barzal and again he not only caught Tavares with a big lead in pts but passed in by the end of the year. And would still be unbiased to say he is not a top 10C in the NHL at this time of a repoll. Nevermind 4th best Center or fwd as it pertains to this thread.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the guy who is 2/2 in both 30+g and 60+ pts seasons over the guy who 0/5 in 30g and 1/5 in 60+

seriously though Barkov at the same age as matthews had 24g/60pts in 125 games
Matthews has 74g/132pts in 144 games. thats 50 more goals and 72 more pts...

Reactions: bionic

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It's Barkov. Do this poll without the homer opinion of Leafs fan and it's probably not that close.

Maybe Matthews will end up better as he is a hell of a player, but what Barkov is doing right now is insane.

maybe end up better? LOL this is what makes HF boards rich

Barkov went from 8g/24pts as a rookie to 16g/36pts 2nd year

Matthews 40g/69pts and 34g/63pts

Barkov didnt hit 60+ pts until his 5th season...he still hasnt hit ppg, which matthews did in his 2nd year with significantly more goals in significantly less ice time

but yeah, maybe one day he will be better SMH!

Reactions: bionic

Bill Berg

Golly!
Dec 15, 2013
I'd like to know how "one of the best offensive players in the league" isn't putting up even 70 points. Yet this guys who's "not as nearly as good offensively" almost put up 80 points.
And also if AM is so great defensively, why isn't he getting any Selke votes? After all, if the supposed gap is so small, then surely he would be getting some votes, being so close to the guy who was 4th in Selke voting. Would seem like no brainers to a top 10 player like AM...

He got Selke votes in his rookie season. Not many maybe, but he did get some.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad