Who is better?

• Barkov

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Matthews is better than him.

The production might be close, but that has a lot to do with Barkov playing 22 minutes a game, which is just a stupid coaching decision on Florida's part.

Just watching them play you can see Matthews is a better player than Barkov, and will be better than him when he's the same age.

Bump this thread in a year to see it.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017

The production might be close, but that has a lot to do with Barkov playing 22 minutes a game, which is just a stupid coaching decision on Florida's part.

Just watching them play you can see Matthews is a better player than Barkov, and will be better than him when he's the same age.

So since Matthews isnt playing the same TOI its a bad decision for Florida even though he excelled in the top line minute role

Was your goal to completely make shit up and look silly or..?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

You know why he played that much.

To cover for their abysmal depth and to play heavy defensive minutes, those extra minutes at that level don't quarantee extra points, Matthews game could have saw a massive drop on the 2nd half of the season if he had to play those minutes.

Barkov was better last year but Matthews could be better next year-.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Barkov, similar PPG and a top 5 Selke finish. Barkov also plays in all 3 situations and excels on all parts of the ice. This can change as soon as next year and am basing this poll off this past season

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
So since Matthews isnt playing the same TOI its a bad decision for Florida even though he excelled in the top line minute role

Was your goal to completely make **** up and look silly or..?

Has nothing to do with the Leafs not playing Matthews 22 minutes a game, I never want him to get that high up in minutes.

Panthers have two centers playing over 21 minutes a game, they would be better served spreading those minutes out more.

If Matthews did play 22 minutes a game though, and had 3+ minutes on that Marner PP, he'd blow Barkov's numbers out of the water.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You know why he played that much.

To cover for their abysmal depth and to play heavy defensive minutes, those extra minutes at that level don't quarantee extra points, Matthews game could have saw a massive drop on the 2nd half of the season if he had to play those minutes.

Barkov was better last year but Matthews could be better next year-.

They don't have abysmal depth at center though.

Matthews is a better player than Barkov, and there is no other way around it.

And not one single team in the NHL would take Barkov over Matthews. This is just an HFboards thing.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I went with Matthews, but if I was being completely unbias as "who's the better player" I'd give the slightest of edges to Barkov.

He's almost as good offensively but twice the player defensively. Matthews is younger, plays much (much) less, is always saddled with Hyman, and I'd take him if we were asking who I'd rather on my team.

Reactions: Lovedemfanboys

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure "cute" is the word I'd use since it seems to come up every single thread.

Barkov vs. Matthews is a legit poll. Matthews might be better at some point, but I think *right now* Barkov has the edge due to a better defensive game.
Yeah I think it’s close too. But Barkov had a top 5 Selke finish and was close to a PPG. Because he’s with a smaller market team he doesn’t get the same press and we know who has the biggest fan base when it comes to HF polls.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Has nothing to do with the Leafs not playing Matthews 22 minutes a game, I never want him to get that high up in minutes.

Panthers have two centers playing over 21 minutes a game, they would be better served spreading those minutes out more.

If Matthews did play 22 minutes a game though, and had 3+ minutes on that Marner PP, he'd blow Barkov's numbers out of the water.
so all you have is hypotheticals to prove Matthews is better, stating if he had as much time as Barkov...

maybe Matthews cant handle Barkovs minutes

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I went with Matthews, but if I was being completely unbias as "who's the better player" I'd give the slightest of edges to Barkov.

He's almost as good offensively but twice the player defensively. Matthews is younger, plays much (much) less, is always saddled with Hyman, and I'd take him if we were asking who I'd rather on my team.
so you admit to skewing the poll results?

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Barkov at the moment, if Matthews stays healthy and continues this trajection, him in the future.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
There is no shame in Matthews being a little worse than Barkov at this moment. Barkov was a PPG center who finished 4th in selke voting, that is pretty elite.

Matthews could be better as soon as next year or the year after but right now, it's Barkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->