Barkov vs Eichel

Barkov Vs Eichel

• Total voters

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
First poll in a while that's really let me think.

After long consideration, going Barkov. I just love his two way game and how he can play in every situation. Also has sweet hands and will be a multi time selke winner in his time.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Eichel seems to have turned the corner, thats what staying healthy will do to a guy.

Going with Eichel

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
They are one year and 56 days apart in age. A couple weeks either way on each player’s birth and they are both in the same draft class. That’s what you keep missing. Barkov was one of the youngest players in his draft class and eichel was one of the oldest in his.

Another thing you keep missing is that Barkov has to expend energy killing penalties and playing an elite defensive game. It’s common sense that having to do that leaves him less energy on the offensive end. Barkov is asked to start shifts in the defensive zone and turn a defensive zone draw into a scoring chance in the offensive zone. Eichel isnt. These things all matter.

I want to compare the players now. You keep going back to their rookie seasons. Right now both players are pretty even when it comes to their offensive game.

Just thought I’d point out something since in your middle paragraph you eluded to barkov taking faceoffs in the defensive zone and having to work his way up the ice. You realize while Eichel may not own as many defensive zone draws or even be in his league defensively (even though he’s improved drastically in that department) one of Eichels biggest strengths is just the very same thing your saying expands energy for barkov. Eichel is the one bringing the puck from the defensive zone to the offensive zone all the time. His transition zone rush numbers were elite, he lead this category in 16-17 and that was as a 20 year old sophomore returning from a high ankle sprain. This is because of his elite skating ability. Barkov is also a great skater but after all you said “these things matter”, I’ll agree yet also point out he does that all the time.

The sabres rely on Eichel to do this so much that on powerplays they will spend fifteen seconds in the neutral zone with a drop pass, a fake and then another drop pass, and sometimes yet another, just to make sure it’s jack carrying the puck into the offensive zone. It’s an awful special teams strategy but that’s how dependant they are on him for this. Just thought since that was one of your arguments I’d point this out.

A lot of scoreboard watchers who don’t watch Eichel (not saying that’s you) seem to think he’s just this offensive player who doesent own any other responsibilities (from his past plus minus or corsi or whatever else) and it’s just not even close to true.

First poll in a while that's really let me think.

After long consideration, going Barkov. I just love his two way game and how he can play in every situation. Also has sweet hands and will be a multi time selke winner in his time.

I like posts like this and respect this opinion because you supported your answer.

For a while it seemed like Eichel was trending to be a premium goal scorer but it seems he isn't much better than Barkov in it. And Barkov owns pretty much every player without the puck and is a fantastic playmaker to boot.

This is Barkov all the way.

What do you call a 21 year old center who manages 39 assists in just 67 games last year not too mention 25 goals) on the leagues worst offense last year. We’ve seen others like Mackinnon manage just 50ish pts in awful teams (more then once) ....yet a younger Eichel managed 64 in 67 in similar pitiful circumstances. He was in on 33 percent of the teams offense and missed 20 percent of the year. Other then Eichel, the team managed just 173 goals last year. Yet he still in an injury shortened season managed to help 39 others to goals in said 67 games. That’s not a bad playmaker no? Especially with all his top transition, and offensive possession numbers he has....

Again, I don’t mind barkov but your closing argument (and I’m not trying to go court-mode here) was about playmaking ability. That’s eichels Fortay. Not goal scoring or shooting like you’ve said.

Defenisvely. Barkov is a clear notch above offensively.

How? He has never averaged more points per game better then Eichel in a season despite being older and has a better top six in his team and averages three minutes more to n ice time. Eichels got more tools and he produces consistently with less help so where is this “clear notch” barkov had offensively id love to see it....you’d think I would if it were “clear.”?

Yeah can't be that, can it?

Looking at it as objective as possible, Eichel is so much more dynamic than Barkov. Barkov's got the advantage defensively for sure, but looking at overall games, he doesn't have what Eichel has. Blows my mind how overrated Barkov is on HFBoards. These small-market darlings just cannot lose around here.

Barkov averages three minutes more too and Eichel doesent even have bad defensive numbers this year and I can refer to at least ten great not good but great defensive plays he’s made this year. Oh well.

I don’t mind people voting barkov but it’s iust the “definitely”, “clearly” (like the guy I quoted above” and the “ainec” that I find laughable....I too think that since people don’t watch Florida often, they feel guillty and obligated to stick with him. Again, I don’t mind if people vote him but at least support the he’s better offensively with facts.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
As of today
Barkov 69 games 30 g 47 assists 1.12 ppg
Eichel 65 games 25 g 47 assists 1.11 ppg

So tell me again why Eichel has the far superior offensive game?

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
As of today
Barkov 69 games 30 g 47 assists 1.12 ppg
Eichel 65 games 25 g 47 assists 1.11 ppg

So tell me again why Eichel has the far superior offensive game?

Considering Barkov only just passed Eichel in p/gp it’s pretty convenient timing for your bump.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Considering Barkov only just passed Eichel in p/gp it’s pretty convenient timing for your bump.
It is very convenient. Just like it was extremely convenient a ton of barkov v. Eichel threads popped up after the Sabres’ 10 game win streak where Eichel was on a tear and Sabres fans were saying Eichel was going to leave barkov in the dust offensively.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It is very convenient. Just like it was extremely convenient a ton of barkov v. Eichel threads popped up after the Sabres’ 10 game win streak where Eichel was on a tear and Sabres fans were saying Eichel was going to leave barkov in the dust offensively.

Did a Sabres fan start this thread?

No.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Barkov. Could be Jack in the future but until that happens you have to give it to the better player currently which is Barkov.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Eichel is definitely more talented offensively, he will never have the two way game that Barlov has. It’s a coin flip for me, tell me who my 2C is before picking between those two.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
anyone who watches both of these guys and doesn't think Eichel is more talented offensively and in general more offensively dominant I have no words. Had he remained healthy and not had a single dry spell after his return and counting a game where he played 2 freaking minutes in his per game stats is hilarious. He was top 5 in scoring in both pace and total before the injury bug hit and had to recover after 10 or so games.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
anyone who watches both of these guys and doesn't think Eichel is more talented offensively and in general more offensively dominant I have no words. Had he remained healthy and not had a single dry spell after his return and counting a game where he played 2 freaking minutes in his per game stats is hilarious. He was top 5 in scoring in both pace and total before the injury bug hit and had to recover after 10 or so games.
Yeah, everybody's more talented offensively than Barkov. Eichel, Matthews, Draisaitl... :sarcasm:
Barkov has every bit of offensive talent and potential as his young piers. He's just still a little confused on how to play North American type hockey. That's the difference.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Yeah, everybody's more talented offensively than Barkov. Eichel, Matthews, Draisaitl... :sarcasm:
Barkov has every bit of offensive talent and potential as his young piers. He's just still a little confused on how to play North American type hockey. That's the difference.

He is not confused, he is too passive at times. If he was a bit more selfish, we wouldn’t be having these discussions.

Reactions: FLpanthers16

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
He is not confused, he is too passive at times. If he was a bit more selfish, we wouldn’t be having these discussions.

Man dude has 77pts and he still has more in him.

He can be the most dominant player against anyone on the ice if he wants to.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Bergeron
4. Barkov
5. Mackinnon
6. Stamkos
7. Point
8. Matthews