Barkov vs Eichel (points)

More points

• Total voters

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
In what way? Just curious. Barkov isn’t some defensive forward. He’s magical with the puck.
I just think Eichel’s wheels make his skills a little more dynamic. He’s a bit more of a game breaker for my money.

Barkov probably has better hands in tight, I agree. I’d take him of the two if I had a choice, but I’m not sure he’ll score more points which was the question posed.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I just think Eichel’s wheels make his skills a little more dynamic. He’s a bit more of a game breaker for my money.

Barkov probably has better hands in tight, I agree. I’d take him of the two if I had a choice, but I’m not sure he’ll score more points which was the question posed.
Fair enough.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I know it's preseason but how are they doing? Has Barkov shown any signs of slowing down? Has Eichel shown any signs of breaking out?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Barkov falls back to PPG area. He had an unsustainable career year IMO offensively. Defensively he was solid but not great.

Barkov 82
Eichel 80

Unless you're assuming Eichel misses a significant chunk of games, 80 is a pretty absurd guess for him. He was over PPG last season and has improved his scoring rate every year he's been in the league so far. There's no logical reason to believe he'll suddenly get worse.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Unless you're assuming Eichel misses a significant chunk of games, 80 is a pretty absurd guess for him. He was over PPG last season and has improved his scoring rate every year he's been in the league so far. There's no logical reason to believe he'll suddenly get worse.
Lol no it's not. Eichel had 64 and 57 point years before that.

80 is being kind.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Oh, I see [mod].
Bye then.
[mod]

There's a bigger sample size of Eichel producing under a PPG than Eichel producing over a PPG. I prefer to go with the bigger sample size.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
[mod]

There's a bigger sample size of Eichel producing under a PPG than Eichel producing over a PPG. I prefer to go with the bigger sample size.

Why don't you tell the class how many games Eichel played those seasons and what his PPG rate was

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
[mod]

So I assume you think Matthews will be less than a PPG as well, following your own (absurd) logic.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I'm saying Barkov merely because I think Florida will still be very good at drawing penalties. It'll be the difference between the two.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Not everyone improves every year and players have years where their don't produce up to their abilities all the time. He had 82 in 77 games last year. Suggesting he gets 80 is really not absurd at all.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Not everyone improves every year and players have years where their don't produce up to their abilities all the time. He had 82 in 77 games last year. Suggesting he gets 80 is really not absurd at all.
Not everyone improves every year, sure. Jack Eichel does, though.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

"Sometimes players get worse" isn't a logical reason to believe Eichel will. Eichel:
(1) has improved every season;
(2) has improved his scoring rate every season;
(3) was over a point per game last year; and
(4) TBH looked like a Hart contender the first few months of last season before getting sidelined with an injury (48 points in 37 games before the Christmas break, which was good for T-7th in the NHL).

So...Again, unless you're expecting him to get hurt, where is the support coming from for the idea that he's just going to suddenly become worse?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
"Sometimes players get worse" isn't a logical reason to believe Eichel will. Eichel:
(1) has improved every season;
(2) has improved his scoring rate every season;
(3) was over a point per game last year; and
(4) TBH looked like a Hart contender the first few months of last season before getting sidelined with an injury (48 points in 37 games before the Christmas break, which was good for T-7th in the NHL).

So...Again, unless you're expecting him to get hurt, where is the support coming from for the idea that he's just going to suddenly become worse?

It's literally a 2 point difference from what he scored last year, which is within the realm of random variance, not "getting worse", and based on league scoring he really hasn't improved his production the last three years. A player who has scored 203 points in his last 205 games getting roughly a PPG is well within a reasonable prediction. Sorry if that upsets you

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

I don't think 80 points is absurd over a full season for anyone but McDavid and Kucherov at this point.

Crosby was in the 80s 4 of the past 5 seasons. Ovechkin's been averaging that for like 6yrs now. Kane failed to hit 80 only 2yrs ago.

If 80 points in say... 77 games for Eichel is absurd to you, then I'd say maybe your expectations are too high. He can certainly hit 90+, but no one should be remotely surprised or disappointed if he gets 80 points in a full season.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I don't think 80 points is absurd over a full season for anyone but McDavid and Kucherov at this point.

Crosby was in the 80s 4 of the past 5 seasons. Ovechkin's been averaging that for like 6yrs now. Kane failed to hit 80 only 2yrs ago.

If 80 points in say... 77 games for Eichel is absurd to you, then I'd say maybe your expectations are too high. He can certainly hit 90+, but no one should be remotely surprised or disappointed if he gets 80 points in a full season.

Expectations are low 90s, and those expectations are grounded in reality.

100pts and expectations start to get a little high (only for this year though).

For anyone who doesn't follow Eichel or the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad