Barkov or Matthews?

Barkov or Matthews?

• Total voters

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Thats a difficult one... Offensive wise Matthews is clearly ahead... but Barkov is on an other level defensively and defensive centers with a great offensive are underrated...

you have to ask yourself if Matthews is Matched against Barkov 82 games a year who has the upper hands? Barkov might counter Matthews offensive!

To me Barkov is probably gonna end up the Upgraded version of bergeron of this era!

this was too hard to vote considering their 2 years difference.

I voted Matthews wich is kinda ironic with my post, but the 2 years difference is a big factor, matthews is decent defensively but better offensively. so my vote is based on future consideration because i think as we speak Barkov would counter Matthews in a current matchup.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Jagr does not touch 66 points with out Barkov on his line.

Or lets talk about the times he had to carry the superstar Seth Griffith and still going PPG for 25+ games. Or the fact that he had the studs in Brad Boyes and Sean Bergenheim on his line to start his career.

Lets ignore the fact that he even said that defense was his biggest priority coming in to the league hence the lack of production

Barkov did miss 16 games that season though so I'm not sure he boosted Jagr as much as you might think.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Goals matter. But there is a lot more to the game then goals. There is preventing goals and helping other people score goals, two things that Barkov is elite at. You can't discount two extremely important factors of the game and expect people to take it in stride.

Matthews is like the best defensive player on his team though.

Reactions: Halla

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Great goaltending doesn’t equal good defense.

They're not good no, but did you ever think Matthews might've helped with that? He was +26 in 62 games afterall. He can more than hold his own away from the puck, he's one of the better defensive forwards in the league combined with his offense is a better player than Barkov.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Feel free to back this point up with any sort of statistics outside of +/-

The fact that you even question it tells me all I need to know about how much you're aware of his game, keep in mind I didn't say one of the best, he is better than most though and that much is obvious to those who watch him regularly. His defensive play and ability stand out quite a bit.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
hfboards aint gonna like that
Interesting. You know how led the league in defensive plays last year? Barkov. He also killed penalties at an elite level and had one of the lowest offensive zone start %’s of any forward in the NHL

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Interesting. You know how led the league in defensive plays last year? Barkov. He also killed penalties at an elite level and had one of the lowest offensive zone start %’s of any forward in the NHL
Barkov is a great player but if the Matthews we have seen this year stays then its not even close

Reactions: Grabner

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
They're not good no, but did you ever think Matthews might've helped with that? He was +26 in 62 games afterall. He can more than hold his own away from the puck, he's one of the better defensive forwards in the league combined with his offense is a better player than Barkov.

You just didn't use +/- as a comparison.

giphy.gif

laughing-will-ferrell-anchorman-vWDrezW0rMjmM

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

And Barkov is great defensively, no arguement there. Your point was Matthews is not great defensively, which is flat out wrong.

Reactions: authentic

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Barkov is a great player but if the Matthews we have seen this year stays then its not even close
If you extrapolated his stats after 4 games to an entire season it would result in one of the best seasons in NHL history. Also, Barkov is on pace for 0 points this year. What’s your point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad