Proposal: Bargain Bin targets

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
As one of the most active GMs I really doubt Yzerman is done rolling the dice on underperforming players. While Erne and Perlini look to be lost causes Fabbri is an obvious win, as is Biega who, despite being a depth d man, is still an NHLer, unlike Pope. As such, I feel it’s time to start brainstorming over some under performing players who could be had for cheap. Here are two hypothetical trades I’d be happy to see and think are in the realm of possibility.

Trade 1: Pulu for Svechnikov and possible sweetener (feeling a 4th/5th). Oilers get a player who if he doesn’t pan out is more suited for a bottom 6 role where as Wings get the higher potential but lower floor player.

Trade 2: Josh Anderson from Columbus for Robert Mastrosimone and Vegas 3rd. Still young and not far off a good season, it seems Josh Anderson’s time is quickly coming to an end with the BJs. Wings dangle up a decent prospect and a top 80 pick and hope they bite. He is still young enough to be useful should we be good again in 2-3 years and adds some size, grit and scoring to a team desperate for more depth. I like Mastrosimone, but if there is one strength in our pipeline, it’s young wingers.

I feel both trades are acceptable risks to take and feature players young enough to potentially rebound while not mortgaging vital pieces, dealing from a superfluous position.

Thoughts/target suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Like Anderson. Not so much of Pulju. Seen his mediocrity just too much here in Finland.

But the idea of getting right-handed forwards via trades is fine.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Read a few different HF Boards last week re: Anderson, apparently, your offer would be outbid quite easily by the majority of teams, but otherwise, yeah, go for it.

Hate to give up on Svech, especially for Pulu, lots of red flags.

I wonder if EDM would take AA & Green (if he'd waive early & to CAN, neither of which are probable) for RNH. Perhaps if we throw in a 3rd & b-level prospect.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You're not going to get Josh Anderson for that.

A fair trade would be AA for Anderson, assuming Columbus wants another forward back.

Reactions: Henkka

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Read a few different HF Boards last week re: Anderson, apparently, your offer would be outbid quite easily by the majority of teams, but otherwise, yeah, go for it.

Hate to give up on Svech, especially for Pulu, lots of red flags.

I wonder if EDM would take AA & Green (if he'd waive early & to CAN, neither of which are probable) for RNH. Perhaps if we throw in a 3rd & b-level prospect.
Would you not consider Svech's knee injuries and inability to stay up even on a depleted team not Red Flags?

Mindsets are a lot more likely to get better with age than knees.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Would you not consider Svech's knee injuries and inability to stay up even on a depleted team not Red Flags?

Mindsets are a lot more likely to get better with age than knees.
Not anymore than say Kronner's early injuries etc. I think Svech has a spot on this team once he's producing well in the AHL. I didn't like what I've read about Pulu.

Post #16, someone suggests Hirose for Pulu, I'd be more inclined to trade him. Better yet, package AA+Green+Hirose+3rd+B-level prospect & get a RNH caliber 2C. I think Kenny would bite on that.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
Ondrej Kase, the analytics darling himself. Somehow managing less ice time per game than last year. His deployment in Anaheim has been pretty disappointing thus far, considering how many people expected him to take another step forward this year. If he could be acquired for 90 cents on the dollar, you don't think twice.

Reactions: Realgud and Henkka

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’ve been an advocate for finding something around Athanasiou for Haydn Fleury that works for both sides. I know we have some big Athanasiou fans on our board, but Fleury would be a nice piece to add in to our LHD depth at a reasonable 23 years old. Feel like he could just be a bit blocked by their depth.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
I’ve been an advocate for finding something around Athanasiou for Haydn Fleury that works for both sides. I know we have some big Athanasiou fans on our board, but Fleury would be a nice piece to add in to our LHD depth at a reasonable 23 years old. Feel like he could just be a bit blocked by their depth.
Fleury or Bean would be a nice add. I'd prefer to dangle Glenny, however using AA to get a good LD prospect and picks is something worth considering.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
You're not going to get Josh Anderson for that.

A fair trade would be AA for Anderson, assuming Columbus wants another forward back.
You do realize he has 2 goals in his past 30 games right (genuine question, not meant to come off as snarky)? Trading AA for Anderson would be a huge overpayment unless they are throwing in some sweeter like a 2nd

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You do realize he has 2 goals in his past 30 games right (genuine question, not meant to come off as snarky)? Trading AA for Anderson would be a huge overpayment unless they are throwing in some sweeter like a 2nd

Athanasiou has five goals in 27 games this season and is a league-worse -29. Both players suck right now. I don't see Columbus giving Anderson away for low draft picks and B prospects. if you want a 6'3, 220 pound power forward you have to pay up.

Using your trade logic, I guess you'd be ok trading AA for a B prospect and a 3rd round pick?

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Athanasiou has five goals in 27 games this season and is a league-worse -29. Both players suck right now. I don't see Columbus giving Anderson away for low draft picks and B prospects. if you want a 6'3, 220 pound power forward you have to pay up.

Using your trade logic, I guess you'd be ok trading AA for a B prospect and a 3rd round pick?

Athanasiou past 27 games = 46 point pace on a worse team

Anderson’s past 30 games = 16.4

there is no comparison in terms of production. Athanasiou has been almost 3 times as offensively productive. Both are underperforming but one is producing near Abdelkader’s level.

They are both getting near identical ToI, however Athanasiou does have an edge in power play time and offensive zone starts. This is largely due to production and not the other way around however, as Anderson’s pptoi and total toi have trended downward from last season... probably because he’s been playing well worse than last year.

Athanasiou’s -27 on a team that is collectively -53 goals (51% of differential) Anderson is -7 on a team that is -14 (50%).

Andersson’s linemates, Boone Jenner and Foglino, have favorable production the past two years in comparison to AA’s top 3 linemates for the season, Filppula, Glendenning, and Fabbri whose resurgence has greatly been aided by Athanasiou.

Athanasiou also has a more favorable penalties drawn/taken ratio than Andersson

Don’t “using your logic” me if you’re not going to use logic at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSHH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Anderson is quite equal player. Or maybe slighty better (defence). Would also add a handness for us.

Using this season as only sample size is just stupid.

Nothing against Athanasiou, but also wouldn't mind a change of scenery for him.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
They were equally good last year and are equally bad at this year.

Change of scenery trade would be just fine for both.
Objectively untrue based on real life production and advanced stats. If you think the +\- number is a fair assessment with the difference in defense and goaltending on each team, idk what to tell you.
You switch their spots and the +\- numbers would be far closer

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Objectively untrue based on real life production and advanced stats. If you think the +\- number is a fair assessment with the difference in defense and goaltending on each team, idk what to tell you.
You switch their spots and the numbers would be far closer

If you switch the spots and numbers would be far closer, they are nothing but ~equal guys like I said.

Change of scenery trade which would add a right handness for us (Glendening the only one currently) (!).

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
If you switch the spots and numbers would be far closer, they are nothing but ~equal guys like I said.

Change of scenery trade which would add a right handness for us (Glendening the only one currently) (!).
In +\-, not in points...

one is in an overall more advantageous situation. There is no reason to think AA’s numbers would regress to Andersson’s levels, but a lot of reason to think their +\- would get closer.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I'm so confused right now.

Anderson has 0.44 PPG career, 0.15 PPG this year.
Athanasiou has 0.53 PPG career, 0.56 PPG this year.

Anderson has 0.25 GPG career, 0.05 GPG this year.
Athanasiou has 0.28 GPG career, 0.19 GPG this year.

Why are we pretending these are similar?

Last edited:
Reactions: lomekian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad