Spain: Barcelona Ice hockey

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Was a fun article in the Swedish magazine Aftonbladet today about a Swede who won the Spanish league gold with Barcelona. He got to step out in front of 65.000 fans on Camp Nou during a game to celebrate.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/article20289574.ab

I knew that had a kickass handboll team but did not know about ice hockey. Did not Kenta Nilsson play a bit in Spain for fun?

Necromancy level 99, sorry for reviving an old thread... :P

Cool article though! Used to live in Barcelona for some 4 years and went to train with the FC Barcelona hockey team once and back then they had a Swede and a couple of Canadian players, too. I'd say the team compares roughly to some low end 3rd-4th division teams in Finland. If I recall correctly there are some 4 teams in Spain (FCB, Jaca, Puigcerdà and some other team), so it is pretty small over there. Spain did not look too good in the IIHF Division II games this year, but nevertheless ended up second just behind Netherlands who where promoted to Div I. But anyway, here's to hoping some smaller hockey countries pick it up too - it'd be fun to see some of these countries play the big ones one day. :)

On a sidenote, we have been playing in an amateur hockey tournament in Barcelona every July with some friends for 3 years now. The ice is really bad which is understandable in summer, but I can imagine that being even more of an issue if there are ice rinks elsewhere in Spain - especially in the south. Hopefully it's better when they actually play their 4-team-league. Last year, the ice did not even freeze during the last games of the tournament and there would be quite a bit of water on the ice. Talked with some of the local guys working at the rink, they should be getting some new machinery soon but I guess we will see about that this July... :D

Last edited:

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
I'm local and didn't know about this! I've played roller with the guy that shows up on the video preview to the right

Necromancy level 99, sorry for reviving an old thread... :P

Cool article though! Used to live in Barcelona for some 4 years and went to train with the FC Barcelona hockey team once and back then they had a Swede and a couple of Canadian players, too. I'd say the team compares roughly to some low end 3rd-4th division teams in Finland. If I recall correctly there are some 4 teams in Spain (FCB, Jaca, Puigcerdà and some other team), so it is pretty small over there. Spain did not look too good in the IIHF Division II games this year, but nevertheless ended up second just behind Netherlands who where promoted to Div I. But anyway, here's to hoping some smaller hockey countries pick it up too - it'd be fun to see some of these countries play the big ones one day. :)

On a sidenote, we have been playing in an amateur hockey tournament in Barcelona every July with some friends for 3 years now. The ice is really bad which is understandable in summer, but I can imagine that being even more of an issue if there are ice rinks elsewhere in Spain - especially in the south. Hopefully it's better when they actually play their 4-team-league. Last year, the ice did not even freeze during the last games of the tournament and there would be quite a bit of water on the ice. Talked with some of the local guys working at the rink, they should be getting some new machinery soon but I guess we will see about that this July... :D

This is great! I think I'm going to be there playing, we should grab a beer after!

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
I'm local and didn't know about this! I've played roller with the guy that shows up on the video preview to the right

This is great! I think I'm going to be there playing, we should grab a beer after!

Sure! PM for Facebook/phone/e-mail?

Deleted member 241491

I come to the forum to read what is happening with my Edmonton oilers and pleasantly surprised to see this thread on Barcelona Hockey.

Was in Barcelona a few years ago and went to the soccer stadium during the summer and noticed the hockey rink. They had an caricature of Messi on skates over the rink. Of course, I had to go inside. Older rink for sure (dark and smelly) and I don't recall seats but I'm probably wrong about that. They were advertising a summer tournament at the time that was soon to start up. I think teams were from Russia and Sweden. I would of went if I could.
Anyway, kind of cool to find this there as I was not expecting it.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
I come to the forum to read what is happening with my Edmonton oilers and pleasantly surprised to see this thread on Barcelona Hockey.

Was in Barcelona a few years ago and went to the soccer stadium during the summer and noticed the hockey rink. They had an caricature of Messi on skates over the rink. Of course, I had to go inside. Older rink for sure (dark and smelly) and I don't recall seats but I'm probably wrong about that. They were advertising a summer tournament at the time that was soon to start up. I think teams were from Russia and Sweden. I would of went if I could.
Anyway, kind of cool to find this there as I was not expecting it.

You should've been there. :) We've been going to that very tournament some 3 years in a row now, a lot of fun and met Claudi27 there this year for hockey, roller hockey and beers.

The rink is apparently undergoing a facelift this year, if I recall correctly...hopefully the ice will be better going forward, though I understood it is not clear if they will hold the tournament next summer. Either way, it's been good to see so many locals are interested interested in the sport, even though it's a marginal sport obviously. :)

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Didn't realize Barca had an ice hockey team.

Is there hockey tradition in Catalonia? I thought Spain as a whole was warm weather country.

Any notable names?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Is there hockey tradition in Catalonia? I thought Spain as a whole was warm weather country.

Any notable names?

Don’t know much about the domestic league other than the bulk of the national team play for Barcelona. Mo Mansi, a one-time Montreal draft pick who played at RPI and then played and coached in Europe, is Spain’s national team coach.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV

Any notable names?
It’s got a kinda low level of play. Mid to low level D3 guys can go over there and have about the same level out output. It’s a five team league with three teams in the Pyrenees, Barca, and a team in Majadahonda (pretty much in the middle of the country).

The biggest name from the league is probably the recently retired goalie Ander Alcaine. He played a year in the top French league and had decent numbers. If he ever gave North America a shot, he could have possibly been serviceable to good in the Coast or been a clear #1 in the SP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->