Barber vs. Shutt

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This is just a simple poll comparing two great LW's. Bothplayed in almost exactly the same era.

Bill Barber - Two Cups ('74, '75). Was a big part in both of them. Also great in the two other years Philly made the finals. Was a first team all-star ('76) and second team ('79, '81). Career best season was '75-76 with 50g-62a for 112 points.

Steve Shutt - Four Cups('76-79). He was a big part of all of them. Was a first team all-star in '77 and second team in '78 and '80. His best season was '76-77 with 60g-45a for 105 points.

Well both of these guys are champions. Both are HHOFers and despite what some say they are both legit HHOFers. Personally I think Barber was the better player. Shutt was great but as far as individual talent goes you'd have to give the edge to Barber. He was more of a complete player with better intangibles IMO. But hey vote either wya and discuss

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
It's hard with players that were always in great situations. Barber always had a hof C beside him and Shutt had a decent linemate or 2 in his day.

Shutt was much better in his zone than given credit for. He had the responsibility of staying in the zone until the puck was out while #10 was off creating.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
A very even match-up statistically. All I can add is that I believe Shutt was a faster skater...Bobby Orr said Barber had the most accurate wrist shot he ever saw back then.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
A very even match-up statistically. All I can add is that I believe Shutt was a faster skater...Bobby Orr said Barber had the most accurate wrist shot he ever saw back then.
Both were fine actors. The slightest touch of a stick could send either sprawling.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hard choice.

Both had deadly accurate shots, Shutt maybe had more range. Shutt also had that great hand-eye coordination around the net. If it was on his stick in the slot, it was in. Very Bossy-like that way.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Tough choice...either would be great to have on your team at that time.

But I chose Barber. And, I am a Montreal fan. I like Shutt...he fit great with Lafleur and Mahovlich. But boy did I hate Barber at that time. He played great against us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->