Proposal: Barbashev for Hyman

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I rank this proposal a :
giphy.gif

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I am pretty sure Barb would be worth an early 2nd round pick . Would rather have that then Hyman.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Barbeshev is a good young player with some upside but Hyman is a lot more useful to the Leafs right now.

And as for the actual likelihood of this trade. Babcock trusts Hyman with his life. He would probably resign in protest if he was traded.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
This doesn't make sense for either team.

Hyman is the better player and on a solid contract for the next few years, no reason for the Leafs to move him for a maybe with middle-6 upside.

The Blues don't need a $2.25m player that would be on our fourth line, particularly when we're quite tight against the cap going forward.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
This doesn't make sense for either team.

Hyman is the better player and on a solid contract for the next few years, no reason for the Leafs to move him for a maybe with middle-6 upside.

The Blues don't need a $2.25m player that would be on our fourth line, particularly when we're quite tight against the cap going forward.
What!!! You mean Hyman wouldn't instantly slot in as BLues top line winger?

Reactions: simon IC

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
While I agree that Hyman's value to the Leafs is much higher than it is to the rest of the league, at the very worst case scenario think of what a useful player like him would fetch at the deadline. It's most certainly more than what Barbashev's value is. What is Barbashev's upside at this point? Hyman?

Makes zero sense for the Leafs.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Far from a Leafs fan but not sure why anybody would say this is a good deal for Toronto or laughable in value...seems like pure reactionary anti-Leafs sentiment.

Hyman may get laughed at for being a “top line winger” but he has a very well defined and solid role. I’ll be quite surprised at this point if Barbashev ends up being as useful of an NHL player. You can only string along the “upside” tag so long.

Reactions: BM14

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You realize just being a leafs player/prospect doesnt give you value
Not that any of these proposals are good made by this OP but its interesting to see you as one of the first posters in every trade thread regarding a Leafs player.

Barbashev's career high is 13 points. Hyman's is 40.

Pump the brakes.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm convinced some people have "bad for x" programmed into their computer for when a Leafs proposal is made.

I'm not a big Hyman fan at all but Barbashev doesn't get you Hyman.

Barbashev is a borderline player at this point. He had 10 points in 20 AHL games last year.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'd be happy if Barbashev at this point got a 3rd. The main issue is what would the Blues due with Hyman? A total non-need at this point and doesn't follow the direction the Blues are heading with introducing some of their prospects this year.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Schwartz - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Perron
Maroon - Steen

Where exactly is the wing spot in St Louis' top 9 for Hyman? I also doubt the Leafs want to trade Hyman for a healthy scratch centre.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
This is like the definition of a "why does either team do this" proposal. Blues right now are silly on the wing, possibly even more so with Kyrou and Blais making such a strong push in camp, so Hyman doesn't move the needle for them. And the Leafs would be trading the better more established player for a player who doesn't really fit for them.

Both guys feel like better "player moved for a 2nd/3rd round pick" then even exchange to me.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I'd be happy if Barbashev at this point got a 3rd. The main issue is what would the Blues due with Hyman? A total non-need at this point and doesn't follow the direction the Blues are heading with introducing some of their prospects this year.

Every team needs players like Hyman, he's amongst the very best forcheckers in the league and is a top penalty-killer. What you would do with him is utilize him and be a harder team to play against.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Hyman is one of Babcocks favorites and utilized as a top line winger. He’s local and has an effort level second to none. Unfortunately he’s more of a second/third line tweener that is being played over his head. It’s often frustrating to watch him skate circles around the opposition only to trip and fall or shoot the puck wide of the net, but there’s no denying that he’s a good possession player. He’s not really a prospect in my eyes and probably has some value, but I’m not sure he has this much value. Although it may require an overpayment to pry him away from Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad