Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Good deal but at what cost...

thanos-infinity-war.gif

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Ecstatic for this one. Sure I hate losing Smitty, but this guy is younger, tougher and, dare I say, better? At the same cost? It's tough to take, but it feels like a no-brainer.

Plus it breaks our streak of Russian ineptitude (as far as sliver linings go). :sarcasm:

Bittersweet, but lots of upside here.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV

Still would have preferred moving Martinez but keeping Barbashev was massive. He brought a physical element to the forward group that simply wasn't there in the previous playoff runs. He did the dirty work that allowed Eichel and Marchie to flourish.

The Martinez situation is a bit of a head scratcher. $5.25 must be too much for teams to take for an older D for a year I guess? Either that or they don't feel they really have the parts to replace him vs replacing Smith (Amadio, Scorofeyev, Phillol?)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Martinez is a shot blocking machine. He is one of the reasons why we have such a goalie friendly system.

You just cannot replace a player like that. So i can see why the Knights don't want to trade him.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Martinez is a shot blocking machine. He is one of the reasons why we have such a goalie friendly system.

You just cannot replace a player like that. So i can see why the Knights don't want to trade him.
I do wonder when he'll call it quits though.

Last season when he was out he contemplated retirement. Which made him raising the Cup again that much sweeter.

Reactions: Haguerbomb

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I do wonder when he'll call it quits though.

Last season when he was out he contemplated retirement. Which made him raising the Cup again that much sweeter.
Has one year to go on his contract, I suspect he'll hang it up, hopefully Korczak is ready to take his place.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Pretty straightforward isn't it? Do you want Barbie or Reilly over the next five years at the same AAV? Feels like it was a no brainer once they got a decent payback for the trade. Wasn't the trainwreck deals some teams made with retention so it had to be done. Plus I could see Reilly coming back at a reduced rate in a couple of years to finish out his career in a gold jersey.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad