Post-Game Talk: Banner raising NOT spoiled! Hawks down Caps, 6-4!

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
PK needs a lot of work

Saad looks amazing

Anytime a guy picks his draft position as his number coming into camp like sadd did after he was drafted, I assume his work ethic/will won't ever be an issue. He's a guy with definite talent who took what he saw was a slight and used it as motivation to push himself. I'm real high on him.

member 151739

I thought Nordstrom looked good out there for the most part. I was impressed. :dunno:

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Just finished watching the game, had to record it. Loved the banner ceremony. Good stuff.

Damn is it good to have hockey back. The streak lives. I expect the high scoring to die down once everyone remembers what defense is.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Anytime a guy picks his draft position as his number coming into camp like sadd did after he was drafted, I assume his work ethic/will won't ever be an issue. He's a guy with definite talent who took what he saw was a slight and used it as motivation to push himself. I'm real high on him.

Kid is the real deal. He makes that third line dangerous; he'll, he makes any line he's on dangerous.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Yeah, not a big Nordstrom fan, uhg. But, watched a few Caps games last year and tonight they played their *** off, good on them.

Blaming Nordstrom for the poor PK is like blaming Crow!

42 was the reason for the 1st goal- great hustle keep in. He played fine.

The PK sucked because they were vs. the best (or one of the best PP's in NHL).
2ndly- the Hawks were way to deep/unaggressive, bcuz Oates understands how to attack a 2-2 Zone PK!

Hopefully the Hawks coaches learned from the best. I posted on HF about a week ago-
the Hawk's PP (any PP) needs to get to the middle of the PK's 2-2 zone and attack from there- to create/force the defense collapse/ or draw 2 d-men- leaving wide open O players.

Hawks scored on PP when Hossa skated into the heart of the 2-2 zone.
The Hawks refuse to go to 1-3-1 set that Caps used to exploit Hawks. Caps forced Hawks to collapse to respect Brouwer in Middle (1st Goal 16/42 covered Brouwer) leaving wide open 8.

Until Hawks use skater/cutter vs. 2-2 zone or simply set up in 1-3-1, there PP will continue to be crap.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Hayes, ain't doing anything for me-
They should put Hayes on 1st line (were 88/19 can make him look OK)
and 20/65 would benefit more from 29.
Better yet Play Smith or Morin w 19/88.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
He looked good 5-5. On the PK all the killers need some work. Not just him.

It's hard to single him out when NONE of our forwards pressured the puck whatsoever. We collapsed into a 5 by 5 foot shell and the Capital PP passed circles around us all game (I can't attest to the final kills as I had to leave, try watching the game via HS DVR, and had issues with it randomly FF ahead in 30-50 chunks every 15 seconds). If by design our coaches need to have their heads examined as this will NOT work against the elite PPs in the league. We made things VERY easy for Washington, and it was compounded by an inability to win draws on the kill.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I thought Nordstrom looked good out there for the most part. I was impressed. :dunno:

I was too, I thought most of our "kids" played well. Just like in '10 (granted this was one game and that was an entire season) I thought it was our vets that were the problem tonight. Bickell, Hammer, and Hossa were off all night and the defense in general gave up way too many opporunities. As a team our sticks in the defensive zone where awful (how many times did we fail to corral pucks?) and we missed quite a few passes.

The forecheck, especially in offensive transition, was very good for most of the game. Saad was an absolute beast and I really liked how the 3rd and 4th lines played as a whole (outside Shaw who was very meh). I think if you're the coaches and the fans you have to love how well the younger guys played. They'll be the least of our problems as the season moves on.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Didn't like the STYLE of OK at all...lose the draw and then the puck never gets out because we turtle 25 feet from the net and give away shot after shot and depend on guys to blocked wicked one timers all game long? That's insane!

But hey, opening night, banner ceremony AND a W? Yeah, I'm in!

Washington had the puck 10 feet from our net about 50% of the time on their PPs. If, as a unit, you are willing to concede that much space before attempting to do anything you might as well put the puck in your own net. It's asinine at best and ****ing Pejorative Slured at worst.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Saad was our MVP IMO. That goal he scored with Handzus on the perfect pass....damn that was gorgeous. That kid just goes so hard all the time. Awesome stuff!

Easily. He looked like the hardest worker and one of the fastest guys out there. If it ever came to it, this is a guy worth trading "core" pieces in order to sign long term. He's going to be amazing for many years.

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
I was too, I thought most of our "kids" played well. Just like in '10 (granted this was one game and that was an entire season) I thought it was our vets that were the problem tonight. Bickell, Hammer, and Hossa were off all night and the defense in general gave up way too many opporunities. As a team our sticks in the defensive zone where awful (how many times did we fail to corral pucks?) and we missed quite a few passes.

The forecheck, especially in offensive transition, was very good for most of the game. Saad was an absolute beast and I really liked how the 3rd and 4th lines played as a whole (outside Shaw who was very meh). I think if you're the coaches and the fans you have to love how well the younger guys played. They'll be the least of our problems as the season moves on.

It was 1st game for Hossa after offseason and injury recovering.
Bickell probably will end up regular season back in 3rd line despite his 4M sallary earned by good performance in last playoffs/shortened season.Especially if Saad will play as well as tonight.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I actually didn't mind Nordstrom, except in the PK. don't like him there yet AT ALL

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Bollig on the 4th line!!!!? Fire Q!

I don't like watching games at BWW. Too hard to pay close attention. Happy about the win though!

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
last 5 minutes, I did not like the refs. Other than that we won and everything is fine for me.

Krüger, Saad, Leddy & Bollig already look improved.

Did not really like Jayes game, think we may be in on a deadline deal for a Top6 Player.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Blaming Nordstrom for the poor PK is like blaming Crow!

42 was the reason for the 1st goal- great hustle keep in. He played fine.

The PK sucked because they were vs. the best (or one of the best PP's in NHL).
2ndly- the Hawks were way to deep/unaggressive, bcuz Oates understands how to attack a 2-2 Zone PK!

Hopefully the Hawks coaches learned from the best. I posted on HF about a week ago-
the Hawk's PP (any PP) needs to get to the middle of the PK's 2-2 zone and attack from there- to create/force the defense collapse/ or draw 2 d-men- leaving wide open O players.

Hawks scored on PP when Hossa skated into the heart of the 2-2 zone.
The Hawks refuse to go to 1-3-1 set that Caps used to exploit Hawks. Caps forced Hawks to collapse to respect Brouwer in Middle (1st Goal 16/42 covered Brouwer) leaving wide open 8.

Until Hawks use skater/cutter vs. 2-2 zone or simply set up in 1-3-1, there PP will continue to be crap.

Very good post.

I was just going to post the bolded - Nordstrom makes the play that resulted in Bollig's goal. Nordstrom played 12:23 with 3:26 of it on the PK. He had 2 shots on goal, 2 hits and 1 takeaway. The penalty he took was just an unlucky clearing attempt that sailed out of the far end. That's not bad for his first game. Let's give the guy some games to settle in.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Very good post.

I was just going to post the bolded - Nordstrom makes the play that resulted in Bollig's goal. Nordstrom played 12:23 with 3:26 of it on the PK. He had 2 shots on goal, 2 hits and 1 takeaway. The penalty he took was just an unlucky clearing attempt that sailed out of the far end. That's not bad for his first game. Let's give the guy some games to settle in.

Yep

IIRC Shaw started pretty slow at C last year and people were calling for him to go back to wing afer three or four games

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Glad to see people have already drawn far reaching conclusions about team and players after one game. The PK faced one of the best PPs in the league and they came up big when it counted. Not worried at all. As already said, it will take a few games for the team to get going, but already the signs were there that they will be a dominant team once again.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think playing a top six role Frolik will score 20/30 this season.

Hawks look good. Far from perfect, but the mark of a champion is overcoming shoddy reffing and stepping up when it matters. This team is that. Deep, deep team. We've got 6 guys that would be in Washingtons top 4 D.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
The Good
Kane - Kid will get over 100 points. He looked dominate out there. His passing, shooting, decision making, all look better then they have at any point in his career.

Saad - LOVE him. Great in all ends, smart, tough, will do the little things. So often he was in the perfect place tonight and that's an instinct that can't be tought.

Hammer - Guy was throwing himself at every puck and did a good job shutting down Ovie. Even his PP goal was a fluke that Hammer stopped the pass but it bounced right to Ovie.

The Bad
PK -IIt needs to be much more aggressive and expand their box. Green who is the point man was set up between the face-off circles on the PP. You let any NHL team that close to your goal and they will score let alone one good on the PP. Have to force plays wider and attack the puck and not sit that deep and let teams dictate everything.

Craw - Looked a little off, not bad but like he might be suffering through an injury.

Overall a good victory and a great start to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->