Bang On Brooks/Brooks Bang On

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by Bicycle Repairman, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Bicycle Repairman

Bicycle Repairman Registered User

Home Page:
    Link

Thread title alternatively titled for your ideological reading pleasure.

Larry's in fine, frothing form this morning. A little pessimistic for my liking. Perhaps he should change his laxative.

Given that there are wildly divergent economic situations with the ownership group, it's not surprising to once again he notes minute seismic rifts. Not enough to over-ride the Bettman veto, though.

2. Hockey_Nut99

Hockey_Nut99 Guest

I love how Pro-PA people keep saying that the league created this mess and they should fix it themselves. HEY PLAYERS!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE DOING??? They are fixing it. Poor players. The owners finally stand up for themsleves and say NO, and the players keep crying foul. "They just wanna break the union! They just want to break the union!".

I don't know about some people, but if I had a business that I invested lots of money in, then I would do whatever it took to make sure I got profits. Why wouldn't I want to make a system that almost guaranteed me profits? Who cares if it's "idiot-proof". It will make me money. A person who owns a business has a right to make as much money as they can, especially when they have all the risks. I don't care how many mistakes an owner makes. It is HIS team. HIS business.

Last edited by moderator Sotnos: Jan 19, 2005
  3. RangerBoy

RangerBoy TRUST THE PROCESS

Home Page:
    Brooks made the same comments on NY radio yesterday afternoon.I had to pull over because the guy is sooooo pro-NHLPA.We all have our own thoughts and opinions on this issue but this guy is a joke.

Then he took a shot at the other writers(Mike Brophy)who have indicated the NHLPA members might be inclined to accept a cap as being "misinformed"
    and "wishfully thinking"

That's why Brooks sits by himself when he covers the Rangers home games

4. Taranis_24

Taranis_24 Registered User

Home Page:
    How about that crack on "Chicago" not being a hockey city. He's a joke has he looked at the Rangers the past 7 years?

5. Should have been titled, Brooks Bangs His Head. The guy is obviously suffering from post-concussion symptoms.

6. Bruwinz37

Bruwinz37 Registered User

Sales
    Well its a good thing no one takes this clown seriously. He is and has been so pro-NHLPA it is hard to take anything he says without a grain of salt.

The players are never more united? Give me a break....

7. eye

eye Registered User

Home Page:
    If the season is cancelled the players will actually lose more of their leverage as I think many of us fans won't care if we ever see them play again. Bring on the new NHL II if this meeting doesn't get players back on the ice getting ready for a short season by tomorrow.

8. CarlRacki

CarlRacki Registered User

Anyone who thinks Chicago is not a hockey city is an outright loon whose opiions aren't worth discussing. As little as 10 years ago the Hawks packed the United Center nightly. Thirty years ago a Hawks ticket was the toughest in town to get. The local AHL team had almost 13,000 in attendance Saturday night.
    The current state of the Hawks has nothing to do with whether Chicago is a "hockey" town and everything to do with fans' dismay over what Dollar Bill Wirtz has done to the organ-I-zation.

9. Davisian

Davisian Registered User

Home Page:
    Larry Brooks is a "sensationalist" writer for a tabloid paper.

His knock on Chicago was a knock on the Ownership, something Hawks fans have been doing for years. And yes, he slams the Ranger ownership as well.. both deserve it.

I can't believe I'm defending Brooks, but with so many other writers being blatantly on the jock of ownership, its nice to see a couple take the player side.

Of course, what would be great is owner, player, and journalist all eschewing rhetoric, for actual progress..

10. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Guest

Exactly. Guys like Brooks and TJ Simers (here in LA) write crap like this hoping to get a reaction. Nothing more.

11. misterjaggers

misterjaggers Registered User

Grad student
    All the owners need to do is wait. By next January, the NHLPA will be unravelling at the seams.

12. Volcanologist

Volcanologist Used Register

If they actually do believe this, then the players have rocks in their heads.

It's basically the complete opposite.

13. Toonces

Toonces The beer kitty

Production
    It's disgraceful what Wirtz has done to that franchise...

You can't even get half the Hawks games on TV in Chicago due to his brilliance. The man is trying to destroy that team, and any fanbase it once had.

14. RangerBoy

Home Page:
    Brooks feels the NHLPA should wait until next August/September to make a deal.Brooks figures the NHL will be more desperate because they need to sell tickets and the NHLPA should not come back this season for just 4 paychecks

15. Sp5618

Sp5618 Registered User

I wish more people would pick up on these kinds of things and "care" if they truly do care what is good for the sport. I grew up in Chicago, loved the Hawks too. I remember the dark day the Hawks were pulled from broadcast TV (WGN) and I think I cried (I was a kid then...give me a break). They were put on cable in the days when alot of people did not have cable. Apparently that died too. I wonder how many "would be" hockey fans were never reached because of Wirtz?

Chicago is the third largest city in the States, critical to ANY TV contract the league could ever devise or hope to gain, yet there is no outrage from other NHL owners. And it seems from the majority of fans too. What Wirtz has done to the Hawks is unforgivable. If he hates hockey and hockey players that much, why didn't he sell the team a long time ago?

16. RangerBoy

Home Page:
    Apparently Gary Bettman and Bill Wirtz HATE each other.The Mike Smith dispute created the split.Bettman wanted Wirtz to pay Smith's remaining contract but the old dinosaur had other ideas

It's hard to believe Wirtz does not allow the Hawk home games to televised in Chicago.That's pathetic

17. YellHockey*

YellHockey* Guest

Or maybe its because he doesn't subscribe to the herd mentality that most hockey writers do, where they all get together to make sure that their stories are similiar.

He was popular enough to be voted the President of the hockey writers association. I suspect he sits by himself by his own choice.

18. SENSible1*

SENSible1* Guest

How fitting that BRG should defend Brooks. Birds of a feather and all that...

19. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    ...if i had a business...

20. Russian Fan

Russian Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm not here to judge anything but if you had a business , would you respect your capacity of paying for merchandise, bills, fees & etc... or would you go over the budget to compete against the others business until you realize that you're broke ?

I'm not pro-pa at all but you just said that you don't care if the owner make mistakes BUT if you invest a lot of money you would do thing to make your business in good shape.

21. Russian Fan

Home Page:
    I understand that your on the owners side but why insulting a guy because he thinks differently than you ? Yes he seems on the PA side but why is it a joke ? Because when there's hockey he creates funny rumors ? That doesn't make him unintelligent & without opinions.

I talked with pro-owners but I never said to them that they are a joke because of it.

This guy brings point from the other side & that's fine. He brings legitimate point to understand how players work like when TSN (pro-owner) say things & they bring up legitimate arguments about how the owners side is thinking.

22. leaflover

leaflover Stanley Cup 2022

Home Page:
    Kinda like the fanbase.

23. Russian Fan

Home Page:
    Why can't you take him seriously ? Does that mean we can't take seriously anything that is pro-owners ? This is the same thing. there's 2 SIDE TO EVERY STORY & Brooks brings one side.

Also don't forget that probably the owners put pressure on some media to be on their side. In exchange to get some INSIDE stories. Like TSN (The Sources of the NHL) they get Bettman's & Daly's interview all the time because they are on their side.

So it's not impossible to say that Brooks get some real INSIDE source from the PA.

Being open minded is reading what you can't understand & trying to analyse it.

24. kerrly

kerrly Registered User

Actually all he is noting is his opinion. He says there is reason to believe the up to 1/3 of ownership would like to bargain off the Dec. 9th proposal. Then he goes on to say that every single player is galvanized, when there are rumblings of more players willing to accept a cap. I'm not saying how many players that is or claiming it to be over half the union. But what I'm trying to point out is how he paints a favorable position for his argument just like Strachan does. I'm going to love to read his article right after the NHLPA accepts a salary cap whether its this year or next year.

25. Russian Fan

Home Page:
    I think it's normal to say that more players are going with the cap side. 20-30% of each team players receive only 1 to 3 years of basic salary's. They want their share of the pie. They want to get their future by accumulating money.

& like Modano, I don't want to discredit him but wasn't he in trouble financially ? I don't know about you but if I had some $$$ problems , I would want to go back to work at any cost too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.