Balsille Signs Arena Deal with Hamitlon....

Wetcoaster

Thanks. Your support is very much appreciated by Nashville Predators fans. (Contrary to some people's beliefs, we do exist ;)).
It is not the average fan that seems to be the problem in Nashville, it is the lack of corporate support.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
You dont apologize to satan for causing misery. You apologize to humanity for embarassing the species.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but I'd like to throw out an idea I've had for years that I've never seen suggested anywhere. BTW, I'm in the US, and I'm not sure if Canadian fans would think this is a great or horrible idea, but here goes.

Why not base a team in Hamilton, but they only play 50% of their home games there. Maybe they could play 20% in Winnipeg and 20% in Quebec, and the other 10% could be played in smaller cities with big-enough arenas. Perhaps call them the "Rovers", maybe even the Canadian Rovers. I realize there would be logistical problems, being on the "road" 75% of the time and figuring out home playoff games, for instance. But these could be worked out (put them in a division with Tor, Ott, Buff & Mont to cut travel, for instance). Ticket sales and merchandise sales would be through the roof, and it could eventually lead to Canada getting an additional franchise or two down the line.

Anyhow, fire away. Oh, and if this is someday adopted, I'll take a 10% cut of the gross jersey sales for coming up with the idea. That should be a nice number!

Raoul Duke*

That's idiotic.
Why should Canada have to have a "roving" team? When each of those cities could support a team better than any in the SouthEast?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The Hamilton GlobeTrotters? It is a kind of interesting idea perhaps in a transition year. Even play a few games in Europe as marketing plan to start up their NHL Europe? Would they have part time fans too?

GSC2k2*

I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but I'd like to throw out an idea I've had for years that I've never seen suggested anywhere. BTW, I'm in the US, and I'm not sure if Canadian fans would think this is a great or horrible idea, but here goes.

Why not base a team in Hamilton, but they only play 50% of their home games there. Maybe they could play 20% in Winnipeg and 20% in Quebec, and the other 10% could be played in smaller cities with big-enough arenas. Perhaps call them the "Rovers", maybe even the Canadian Rovers. I realize there would be logistical problems, being on the "road" 75% of the time and figuring out home playoff games, for instance. But these could be worked out (put them in a division with Tor, Ott, Buff & Mont to cut travel, for instance). Ticket sales and merchandise sales would be through the roof, and it could eventually lead to Canada getting an additional franchise or two down the line.

Anyhow, fire away. Oh, and if this is someday adopted, I'll take a 10% cut of the gross jersey sales for coming up with the idea. That should be a nice number!
It would please some fans, but the players would think it was idiotic (which is not to say that it is idiotic; I am just saying the players would think it).

GSC2k2*

That's idiotic.
Why should Canada have to have a "roving" team? When each of those cities could support a team better than any in the SouthEast?
Again false. Maybe you will convince yourself if you post it in enough threads, though.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That's idiotic.

Well, "could" and $3.95 will get you a cup of mocha latte at Starbucks, but it won't necessarily get NHL franchises in Canada. The ironic thing is, I came up with the "Rovers" (or "Wanderers" like the old Montreal team) idea at the time the Winnipeg and Quebec franchises moved. That was how long ago? So you're saying that would have been an "idiotic" thing to do back then? How have things gone in the interim with placing NHL franchises in Canada? Maybe that wouldn't have been so idiotic back then, and maybe 15 years from now it won't seem so idiotic either. But you stick to your guns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->