Ballon d'Or thread

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
How about that Vardy guy?
Amazing for 5 months, invisible at the Euro, sucking this season and he's a top 10 player apparently. :laugh:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Amazing for 5 months, invisible at the Euro, sucking this season and he's a top 10 player apparently. :laugh:

Invisible at Euro because Hodgson essentially glued him to the bench. He was electric against Wales.

The Ballon d'Or isn't a definitive player ranking, obviously Jamie ****ing Vardy isn't the 8th best player in world football. He was the top striker on one of the biggest out of nowhere underdog stories in the history of sports, of course he's gonna get some votes for that. Would I have voted for him? No, definitely not. Should he have finished 8th? No, I don't think so. But I absolutely understand why he ranked where he did. Far less cartoonish than Rui Patricio at 13.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Invisible at Euro because Hodgson essentially glued him to the bench. He was electric against Wales.

The Ballon d'Or isn't a definitive player ranking, obviously Jamie ****ing Vardy isn't the 8th best player in world football. He was the top striker on one of the biggest out of nowhere underdog stories in the history of sports, of course he's gonna get some votes for that. Would I have voted for him? No, definitely not. Should he have finished 8th? No, I don't think so. But I absolutely understand why he ranked where he did. Far less cartoonish than Rui Patricio at 13.

Totally cartoonish IMO because he was good for 5 months period. Sucked the other 7 months.

Rui Patricio is totally ridiculous obviously, but is in line with the usual weighed summer competition (and him and Pepe are much more of a reason Portugal won rather than Ronaldo).

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Have they changed the voting arrangements for this? I can't find the full breakdown of votes by country/voter.

Ed - Although apparently LITN knows otherwise.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Have they changed the voting arrangements for this? I can't find the full breakdown of votes by country/voter.

Ed - Although apparently LITN knows otherwise.
Yeah, former format, journalists, no captain/coaches.

German journalists put Kroos third in voting... :laugh:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Oh I need to see this. Mainly to see what rubes they pulled out of Scotland to pass judgement on it.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
It's not longer the award for best player

lol dude....these kind of awards are always a popularity contest. I mean, at times the winners truly deserve it. But it's fair to say that while Messi and CR are active unless they have a truly off year someone will have to have an amazing year to dethrone them. As well as win a CL or something to boot.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
if France and Atletico won their finals, does Griezmann win?

Gonna go against the tide and say no. If Sneijder didn't beat Messi and Ronaldo as the best player on both a treble winning side and WC finalist, Neuer didn't beat them when Germany won the WC, or Ribery didn't beat then when Bayern won the treble, then I don't see Griezmann winning this year in an alternate universe where France and Atletico win their finals. I think the Messi/Ronaldo mindset runs too deep in voters. I could be absolutely wrong though, especially considering the change in voter-base.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Gonna go against the tide and say no. If Sneijder didn't beat Messi and Ronaldo as the best player on both a treble winning side and WC finalist, Neuer didn't beat them when Germany won the WC, or Ribery didn't beat then when Bayern won the treble, then I don't see Griezmann winning this year in an alternate universe where France and Atletico win their finals. I think the Messi/Ronaldo mindset runs too deep in voters. I could be absolutely wrong though, especially considering the change in voter-base.

I think I actually agree with this. I think the mindset is so heavily tilted in favor of Messi/Ronaldo that for some voters it would seem far too radical to vote any other way.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
That reminds me

Totally cartoonish IMO because he was good for 5 months period. Sucked the other 7 months.

Rui Patricio is totally ridiculous obviously, but is in line with the usual weighed summer competition (and him and Pepe are much more of a reason Portugal won rather than Ronaldo).

^^^ looking to get banged

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Damn I didn't getn anything from those two posts. I know I'm sick as hell and my mind is working slowly, but I have no idea of what you two guys are talking about.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's an old tweet from Vardy.

EDIT: Oh yeah I can't post the image.

He said 'Chat **** get banged'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad