Ballon d'Or thread

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Sad but no surprise. Not much of anything CR does better than Messi apart from head the ball. Dumb award anyway.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
9Mzkm_s-200x150.gif

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Griezmann deserved it more than CR, but of course with Portugal winning he was gonna take it. Let's see if he does something dumb in the ceremony.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I would like this award more if it wasn't all about the forwards.It's a tragedy when a guy like Buffon will never get a sniff because he's just a fantastic goalkeeper.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I would like this award more if it wasn't all about the forwards.It's a tragedy when a guy like Buffon will never get a sniff because he's just a fantastic goalkeeper.

TBF Buffon should have won it in 2006. He finished 2nd or 3rd IIRC, but for some ridiculous reason, they gave it to Cannavaro who had a strong first half, a strong WC and then absolutely DESASTROUS second half of the season for Real.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah, I'll remind people that the Ballon d'Or has re-separated itself from UEFA.
Meaning only journalists vote for this award, just like it was years ago.

So it's heavily focused on the summer big competition, which was always a big drawback of the former vote (but still better than the "best player award period" from the last few years).
Ronaldo won it because he had a great CL run last season and his team won the Euro (even though his contribution was minimal to say the least).
Griezmann was there because he too had a great CL run and a great Euro (much better than Ronaldo). But in the end, Ronaldo winning both titles assured him the award.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Nah, I'll remind people that the Ballon d'Or has re-separated itself from UEFA.
Meaning only journalists vote for this award, just like it was years ago.

So it's heavily focused on the summer big competition, which was always a big drawback of the former vote (but still better than the "best player award period" from the last few years).
Ronaldo won it because he had a great CL run last season and his team won the Euro (even though his contribution was minimal to say the least).
Griezmann was there because he too had a great CL run and a great Euro (much better than Ronaldo). But in the end, Ronaldo winning both titles assured him the award.

Griezmann also had an incredible la liga season IMO.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It should be

Messi/Griez
Suarez
than that Portuguese player... Eder I think his name was.

Not surprised who won though.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Why exactly do people have a beef with Ronaldo winning?

He had a better year than Messi, it's that simple. Doesn't mean he's a better player.
He got 10 more gosls than Messi in club competitions in one less game.
His country win the EURObas the underdog whereas Messi lost the Copa with Argentina as the favorite.

Meanwhile, nobody's even asking the best midfielder in the world is ranked 17th with 1 vote...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't see much of anybody having a "beef" with Ronaldo winning. It was logical, even though a bit by default.
His performance in the Euro is closer to a negative than a positive for me though. When you see a 5 time Ballon d'Or playing so badly over the whole tournament, with the exception of what, 1 game? It's a negative. Check Platini or Van Basten playing Euros in Ballon d'Or years.

As for Modric, it's already been said in this thread, so again, I don't get your post.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
lol what's up with Patricio finishing 12th? Has he been that good this year? I don't follow sporting that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->