Ball Hockey Wrist Shot Help Needed...PLEASE

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Umm..you looking to get lift on it I'm assuming? Well be sure to snap your wrist when you shoot...it's all in the wrist. But since it's easier to lift than a puck, you might end up shooting reallly high if you do it like normal ice hockey. And where your follow thru with the stick will kinda determine where it's gonna go. Like when after you shoot the end of the stick should be pointed at where you wanted the shot if that makes sense. Anything specific you wanna know? For practice...shoot shoot and shoot some more, only way to get it down.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I've been playing dek/ball hockey for most of my life and I have no answer for you. Just keep doing it.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
MaDdY said:
Even if i want a fast wrist shot...I still keep practising?

yes, you can put a weight on your stick if you want, this will strengthen your wrists a bit.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Wrist shots

Ok! Here it comes....

It has every thing to do with weight distribution, hand on stick placement, shooting lanes and follow through. Lets look at the basics.

The Sweep Pass is the basic foundation for all upper body movements that will help you perform everything from passing to shooting.

It starts off by placing the puck six to eight inches behind the near skate. Applying pressure to the shaft with the lower hand for leverage and using the top hand for power or force. What?

Sure, lets look at basic physics....
(Please excuses the crudity of the drawings)

In this drawing, you will see that I have my hockey stick under a box. When I'm on the ice, I place the blade under a players skate.

f9386b30.png

You will see that I am trying to lift the box up with my stick and wrist. You can also see, that at this point, the force is all on my wrist and that it is impossible for me to lift the box with the force at my wrist.

Odds are really good that my wrist will not handle the force and it will break. However, if you look at this next picture, you will see that I have placed a "Fulcrum" halfway down the shaft.

f9566b60.png

By placing the fulcrum down the shaft, the force is now applied at the fulcrum point. Thus, I can apply pressure to the top of the shaft and the box will move up.

The rule also apply to Passing or Shooting! The speed of the puck is directly proportional to the "Fulcrum Point" leverage (Bottom Hand) and the force or pressure applied with the top hand.

A good example is a row boat. The point at which the oar attaches to the side of the boat is the Fulcrum point

So, when you pass or shoot, make sure that the top arms go to full extension. Once there, pull back towards your body and leave the bottom hand still.

Now the reason why I'm go through all this is. Young players have a tendency to push the puck with there bottom hand and keep the top hand still. Those shots are weak and slow.

Head coach
www.passthepuck.net

Last edited:

mksee

May 31, 2002
Woburn
Hi

as a 13 yr old I started playing street hockey. I had no wrist shot.

(This doesnt answer your question but I thought would be an interesting observation) Interestingly I played streethockey before playing baseball and initially shot lefty. After a summer or two playing baseball I switched to righty because It more resembled a baseball swing and I was stronger that way. I have since noticed that most Canadians in years past were left shooters and americans were right shooters...could be the baseball influence.

My scoring choice as a 13 yr old was to close in on the goalie and take a slapshot. Soon after my friends banned slapshots or some reason (me and no pads) I then had to develope a wrist shot.

What I did was go to a parking lot with a brick or cement wall ( highschool gym Grocery store loading area) and shoot and shoot. Eventually I worked up to shooting a puck on pavement and trying to hit a target ( loading dock I beams gave a nice ring when hit. I developed a nice accurate shot with the puck and once I switched back to a ball I had lift, accuracy and a killer release.

But as a 13 yrold I did this 5 times a week for months so repetition is a must. I am now 51 my power has deminished but I can still ring one off the post at will.

mksee

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
I have since noticed that most Canadians in years past were left shooters and americans were right shooters...could be the baseball influence.

Here's a coaching tip that I post in several forums:
Why do more Canadian players shoot left, than American players?
Answer: They were taught the proper way to shoot.

You see, the hand that you write with, goes at the butt end of the stick. That part of the stick is used for the artistic side of the brain.

The top hand controls the artistic side of stick handling. The bottom hand provides the power. The top hand will allow you to move the puck forward, away from your body and backwards towards your side.

So which way do you shovel dirt? That's the way you should shoot!

Now, most people will say...."Which way do you bat?" If you bat right, then you shoot right. This is wrong. Why? Because you are driving through with the bat and the left arm is leading. That arm is the driving arm.

Same in Golf. When you tee off, the left arm (If you are right handed) drives the ball. That why your golf instructor will have you practice driving the ball only with your left hand.

The sad part is. No one ever tells the parent how to select a stick for their child. They go into the pro shop and they ask the guy for a stick.

The young guy working the counter says...."Which way do you bat?" Next thing you know is the kid is shooting the wrong way. See it all the time.

Thats why more Americans shoot Right handed then Left....sad.

Head coach
www.passthepuck.net

mooseOAK*

nni said:
yes, you can put a weight on your stick if you want, this will strengthen your wrists a bit.
Or, take a short stick and tie a weight to the middle of it with a rope and rotate it as a dryland training.

mksee

May 31, 2002
Woburn
Headcoach said:

You see, the hand that you write with, goes at the butt end of the stick. That part of the stick is used for the artistic side of the brain.

The top hand controls the artistic side of stick handling. The bottom hand provides the power. The top hand will allow you to move the puck forward, away from your body and backwards towards your side.

Now, most people will say...."Which way do you bat?" If you bat right, then you shoot right. This is wrong. Why? Because you are driving through with the bat and the left arm is leading. That arm is the driving arm.

Same in Golf. When you tee off, the left arm (If you are right handed) drives the ball. That why your golf instructor will have you practice driving the ball only with your left hand.

The sad part is. No one ever tells the parent how to select a stick for their child. They go into the pro shop and they ask the guy for a stick.

The young guy working the counter says...."Which way do you bat?" Next thing you know is the kid is shooting the wrong way. See it all the time.

Head coach
www.passthepuck.net

Thanks for the comments coach but I cant believe the majority of Canadian coaches know proper way to shoot and american coaches do not. As I said I think the US influence due to baseball in one way or another is real. I think the dominant hand should be at the stick end...which is the way I naturally started shootiing. I had developed a lefty wrist shot but again once I developed my baseball swing, I wanted that power slap shot. I did have a problem for years forechecking as I was now doing 1 handed stick moves with my weaker hand.

mksee

Sorry

May 18, 2005
And don't know if thats a legit reason as to why most Americans shoot right, in fact most of the kids now shoot left.

I shoot right because when i was 4 i used righty sticks cause thats what my brothers used, and it has felt natural to me ever since.

My wrist shot is just a natural release so i can't really explain it, but have the puck towards the heel of your blade and umm yeah i can't explain.

One thing, people who tell you to have you feet perpendicular to the net when shooting don't know whats up. Practice shooting while skating right towards the net.

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
Headcoach said:

Head coach
www.passthepuck.net

Sounds like BS to me.

25/29 players on my US hockey team shoot left.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Drop The Gloves said:
Sounds like BS to me.

25/29 players on my US hockey team shoot left.

I don't like it either...I shoot right because that was the way that always felt comfortable with me. My whole family shoots left so I should have been raised on left handed sticks, but I here I am shooting right.

I don't think that there is a "wrong" way to shoot...Gordie Howe could shoot left and right handed...I'd say he did ok. Mario Lemieux shot right. Was he doing something wrong?

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
Im right handed and use a right handed stick, I blame baseball. Most kids learn to swing a bat before they pick up a hockey stick. Not everyone can afford to play hockey in the US, so most kids just learn by them selves.

terreur

Jan 27, 2006
Montreal
Hey, I am an average ice hockey player, but I'm a very good street hokcye player. I have a VERY good street hockey shot. I tend to use a really short stick, with almost no curve andi want the stiffest stick possible. The way I used to practise, was in my basement, i used a wooden 2 foot but 4 foot deck. And put 5 tennis balls, and shot without looking at them. The fatstest i could (not that fast, I was taking good shot) but its all a question of feeling, when youll get the feeling, youll have no trouble shooting from any situation/angle

Bloody Sabbath

Feb 29, 2004
Toronto, Canada
practice is the key!
different sticks, curves, methods, work better for different people.
personally, for wrist shots i use a really light, long stick with medium flex and a mid curve. lean into the shot, and give your wrists a good roll and snap. PRACTICE a lot, it's the only way to get better. you'll develop a fast and accurate shot.
i love the wrist shot, and on both street and ice, it owns my slapper (mogilny style lol). i bruised my friends chest with a tennis ball on a wrist shot from a good ~25 feet out once. just practice the motion weight transfer, and wrist snap.

KariyaIsGod*

Headcoach said:

Head coach
www.passthepuck.net

Does it have an adverse affect though?

Hard to tell.

I personally write with my right hand but I shoot right handed also. Am I doing it wrong? My stickhandling, shooting and passing would dictate that I'm not.

Maybe there are exceptions I suppose because what you say makes a ton of sense.

As for the original question, I have no idea how to answer it. It's a ball. Unless you have poor technique, you shouldn't have a problem.

Ogopogo*

MaDdY said:
pretty straight forward question..

I'll appreciate any sort of help. If you guys can give me some techniques or ways to practice i'll deeply appreciate. :)

Thanks

Respect!

What I did was shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. The best thing to do is shoot against a wall over and over and over and over again. I spent a lot of time working on my shot like that and to this day, I have a deadly wrist shot in ball hockey.

Another great technique is visualization. Imagine yourself shooting the ball EXACTLY the way you want to. Do this over and over and over again as well.

Strengthening your wrists with dumbbells is good too.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think it's a little harsh to say there's a right vs wrong way to shoot based on your handedness, especially since everyone is different and there are a lot of odd cases. Like me.

I'm a natural lefty. throw left, write left, use practically any tool left handed (except scissors, because they never work left handed), bat left, golf left. And yes, I shoot left in hockey. I do that because it feels comfortable for me, and because when I try and shoot right, I have absolutely no power or accuracy. Of course, I am also an exception to the rule because I'm told that I shovel backwards. When I hold a shovel, I have my left hand lower than my right, logic being that I want my stronger arm bearing more of the weight.

There shouldn't be a "rule" as to what handedness of stick you use. I think that every kid starting out hockey should be given a right handed stick and a left handed stick of identical design (just mirror the curves, of course) and let them shoot for a while with each. Whichever stick the kid feels more comfortable with should be the one they get to use. If that violates some cardinal rule about your handedness versus the stick handedness, then so be it.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else in that practice is the way to go for accuracy. Find yourself a brick/concrete wall (if you have a basement, that's ususally the best option), and get some masking tape and a pack of tennis balls. Use the masking tape to mark a half dozen or so Xs or boxes on the wall, and shoot at them. You can always make games out of it to. Try and go in order from one to the next and back again. Or give them "point" values based on the difficulty of hitting them (make some smaller or bigger, or place them higher or lower) and try and see how many points you can rack up in 10 shots. If you have a friend or a sibling who will shoot with you, have one player take the shot, then the other has to match it (like the basketball game HORSE) Or anything else you can think of. Start out close and as you get better take a few steps back and work from there. Moving back won't only help increase your accuracy from longer ranges, but it will require stronger shots to stay on target, which should help your shot power as well.

Last edited:

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Practise Practise Practise.

Important to use your wrist. You've really got to flick them quickly to get a quick release. I'm very happy with my wrist shot but it's hard to explain how I have it. I've always just shot with a wrist shot instead of a slap shot. So all I can say is keep working at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->