Goalies: Ball hockey/Street Hockey/Ice Hockey. Advice/Opinions wanted.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I've been noticing a concerning trend recently. I've been getting beat in three places on a regular basis lately, and I'm not quite sure how to rectify the problem.

I'm not big goalie, about 5'9-5'10.

#1. Over the shoulder(Left ear shot). This is a problem in tight when I'm in my butterfly. I've tried experimenting with holding my glove up higher but it feels unnatural and just plain uncomfortable.
camouflage-goalie-butterfly.jpg

Similar to this, except I have my glove a wee bit higher probably.

#2. The dreaded 5-hole. I typically play a hybrid style and try to stay on my feet as long as possible. My stick has a tendency to come up off the ice/floor/road when I butterfly initially. I've tried experimenting with various stick positions with little success.

#3. Low blocker. This is ahuge problem on shots in the middle of the slot, Pretty much, if you can get it few inches above my right pad, there's a pretty high probability of scoring. Butterfly, stand-up , it doesn't matter, I haven't found anything remotely effective.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome abd strongly encouraged.

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
I'm still a newb goalie (Second season go! my record is 0-3-1 right now. League could use shoot-outs or a few minutes of OT).

Here's my thoughts because they all sound familiar to me.

#1 You may want to be further out of the crease to cut down amount of net. I find that I get eaten alive on the shots upstairs if I'm in a butterfly and too deep in the crease. If the shooter is getting in really close than a poke check may be in order. Also having your glove further out from your body cuts down the aerial angle a little bit more.

#2 I struggled with this a lot when I started. Every single shot in my 5 hole would go in, even if it hit my stick. I'm much better at cushioning and redirecting shots from the 5 hole.

The two things that helped me were making sure that my stick was on the ice at all times when a shot is imminent and also "leading with the stick" which also reinforced the keeping the stick on the ice part. After enough hockey my grip became much stronger (my right hand is now noticeable larger than my left :P make some jokes) and I do a much better job of directing the puck into the corners so all that energy isn't trying to knock my stick aside.

#3 Low blocker side is always a pain. I've been practicing "leading into the save" to square up even as the shot is incoming and also simply reminding myself to track the puck all the way. Having active hands (both glove and blocker) helps as well.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I'm still a newb goalie

I guess this is the part where ****** goalies come tell you how to be more like us? :D
I'm even more newb then him, I remember reading his post when I was buying gear...

But two things that helped me with stick positioning was getting the right size (crazy right?), and making sure to actively push your stick into the ice. You don't need to strain yourself, but keeping a little extra weight on the handle makes it easier to remember to control that hand, and will help keep the stick from being knocked away too.

Proper length ensures it sits right. With your pads on, placing the blade about a foot in front of your feet and taking your stand your blocker should fall just to the side of your pad in its proper location with no gap between it and your legpads and with out doubling up coverage. When I took my gear to the shop and sized a stick like this I was amazed how many more shots I accidently stopped with my stick.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
sounds to me as though you are in your butterfly before the shot comes, hence why you are getting beat so easily.

dont just use standard butterfly as your save selection every time, for short goalies like us we can't just play the blocking style, you are going to have to be more reactionary. wait till the puck/ball comes at you before you make a move.

and a properly sized stick might help! :nod:

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Ill echo the properly sized stick comments. 26" is pretty standard for paddle length but I've switched to a 27" in recent years and it has helped with my five hole coverage in my ready stance.

Shots beside the ears are one of the toughest shots to stop as a butterfly goalie. You could attempt a standing save selection but this isn't always possible especially especially if they are in tight. Besides trying to cut off the angle more to prevent this, try to keep a more upright torso when dropping into your blocking bfly. The pic you posted there has you collapsed down a bit. Stay as tall as possible and use the appropriate hand position for whatever situation calls for.

Also, low blocker is a widely known weak spot for all tenders, especially smaller ones. Short of cheating to the stick side there is not much you can do. In situations where the shooter has a clean look try to come out as far as you can to discourage the shot at all.

Keep working at it and dont get discouraged!

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Nothing you can do but practice, if you're only 5'9" then you're just going to have to challenge more and rely on you're "athleticism" to get back into position, tim thomas style

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
With your five-hole problem, here's a suggestion to help you keep your stick down when you're practicing. Pretty much go and get a weight (20 lbs should do) and attach it to your stick however you feel comfortable, then get someone to shoot five hole on you. If you do it enough, you can train yourself to keep your stick hard on the ice.

madguitarist

Jul 15, 2013
Moose Jaw, SK
As a little guy(5'7"), I can relate to getting scored on over the shoulder, as well as the other issues that you're having. I've mostly rectified them, and this is how. I'm no pro by any means, but hopefully, this will be of some help to you. Try not to commit to the butterfly until the shooter is in close enough, and make sure that you get as tall as you can with your upper body when in it. Also, try positioning your glove in the palm down position at about chest height and out in front of you slightly to help take more of the glove side shoulder away. Also, if it's going high, try to throw your shoulder into it and fight it off. The 5-hole issue, is a matter of practicing stick discipline, and tightening up your 5-hole seal in the butterfly. Make sure those knees are locked together as a second line of defense, and practice dropping into your butterfly, while keeping your stick on the ice in front of your 5-hole. As for low blocker...try to close the gaps as much as you can by keeping everything tight. Also, make sure to stay square to the puck, and not to the shooter. Remember that sometimes, a really well placed shot, will beat you no matter how well you play it. All you can do, is do your best to get something on it and keep it out of the net. Good luck, and remember to have fun.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Few Points

From the picture you provided.

You are sitting back on your haunches somewhat. Your torso and thighs should be perpendicular to the ice. This will reduce the amount of net visible and available up high.

Combine the above with playing a bit further out - 6" to 18". This will reduce the amount of net visible to the shooter. In practice do a visual with teammates, checking with them to appreciate the difference in the amount of net you are showing as you are more upright and further out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad