Ball Hockey help

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by hbajwa96, Mar 15, 2011.

1. hbajwa96

hbajwa96 Registered User

canucks GM
    OK, so I'm a big D-man that's played ball hockey for 7 years (In a league). I use a Nike Bauer One55 stick. Is there any way to improve the way i play? I'm usually a shut down D-man that likes to go on a sudden 'rushes' at times and go through the other team. And i love to poke check. Is there any way i can get better at poke checking? Being aggressive? Staying back?

2. AIREAYE

AIREAYE Moderator

umm well, being 'aggressive' is innate...you can't practise any of those skills. They either exist or don't.

3. Stevie28

Stevie28 Registered User

as theyre coming down, slow down on backing up, and poke check until until they've basically overrun you, now, if you havent poke checked the ball way yet, just get your body in the way, dont hit him, but body in the way, making him swere and lift his stick/swat the ball away.

(1 on 1 situation)

4. Bring Bak Damphousse

Bring Bak Damphousse Fire Bergevin...into the Sun

It sounds like you play a very similar game to me, I'm also a defense first kind of guy, who likes to jump into the rush if I see an opening. Anyway I think your either aggressive or you aren't...it isn't something you can learn. And staying back has everything to do with jumping into the play at the right time, so you don't get caught in an odd man rush. Something you should work out with your forwards. Poke checking was already covered in another post, but it's pretty easy to get beat if you fail with your poke check, I close the gap gradually and than give the ball a swat, typically if you miss they'll try to make a move around you, or through your legs as long as you keep your momentum going you should be in a position to either take a few more swipes, or stop the ball with your feet. In theory anyway.

5. AIREAYE

AIREAYE Moderator

an alternative to poke-checking could be stick lifting...though I don't recommend you do it in ball hockey, you might catch someone with a high stick

6. hbajwa96

hbajwa96 Registered User

canucks GM
    I don't stick lift much because my stick's climbed up the my opponent's stick :sarcasm: and i sometimes get a slashing penalty. So thats why i dont lift sticks. :laugh: