Ball Hockey Defense Tips

Olddougmurray

Jun 5, 2018
Just started playing ball hockey again. I'm stronger than most everyone playing but im slower than most of the other players out there. Any tips for positioning etc. to maximize my defense effectiveness. We play 3 on 3 in a relatively small court. We might start playing 4 on 4.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
3 0n 3 in a small court, hmmm. I would say just try to stay central and push play to the outside. And dont get caught coming to deep into the O-zone

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Derek Sanborn

Jun 10, 2018
It really depends on what style of defense your team is playing. We play a lot of 3on3 now in Tier 1 for OT. So we teach our kids more of a man to man style.

However just a general defensive tip that I think you could apply. Always keep the opposition between you and your goalie.. we call it "D side". If you get lost or not sure where to be, we always teach for the defender to skate back to his own net's post. It's really tough to explain in words but your angle should always be from the Post to the opposition.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Just started playing ball hockey again. I'm stronger than most everyone playing but im slower than most of the other players out there. Any tips for positioning etc. to maximize my defense effectiveness. We play 3 on 3 in a relatively small court. We might start playing 4 on 4.
Do what Robert said. Push everything to the outside. If your goalie can't read that shot, it's on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad