Balkans Domestic League for the Future?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sounds like President for Hockey in Serbia, Marko Milovanovic is trying to create plans to make a domestic league spanning across Balkan's including Croatia, Serbia, and Slovenia like Austria's EBEL league. As of now it's just an idea and no plans if expansion includes Bosnia & Herz, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Macedonia, or Montenegro..but definitely interesting to hear about if it happens in the future.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=10386&cHash=c3bdf55291ca4ee97c9a3b251679431e

But for Milovanovic the future lies closer to home. He wants to see the Balkan nations form a joint league.

“We need to develop a league in the Balkans, maybe with Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia,†he said. “I think that’s something all these countries need as a strong domestic league.†~ Milovanovic

zamo86*

I doubt Slovenian clubs would be interested. They are already satisfied by competing in top tier EBEL (1 club - Jesenice will likely be back eventually to make it 2) or the second tier INL (5), together with Austrian teams. Slovenian clubs are also heavily involved in U20 and U18 EBEL leagues. There are only seven clubs in Slovenia, with Maribor being the only club which arent competing among adults (they had a team in INL, but they are currently only competing in U18 EBEL and lower).

This would be a semi-amateur level league at best (with a great deal of bus travelling between venues) and personally I dont see it happening.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I doubt Slovenian clubs would be interested. They are already satisfied by competing in top tier EBEL (1 club - Jesenice will likely be back eventually to make it 2) or the second tier INL (5), together with Austrian teams. Slovenian clubs are also heavily involved in U20 and U18 EBEL leagues. There are only seven clubs in Slovenia, with Maribor being the only club which arent competing among adults (they had a team in INL, but they are currently only competing in U18 EBEL and lower).

This would be a semi-amateur level league at best (with a great deal of bus travelling between venues) and personally I dont see it happening.

Well said. Moreover, Balkans are neither stable nor prosperous. There are no means to improve or even watch hockey. Ideally, this sounds cool; but in reality, far from feasible. No quality, no financing, no fans...

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
league with SLO,CRO nad SRB teams would be a huge waste of money for everyone involved (except slovenian teams if they won't travel to serbia)... so it just might happen.

Milansdad

May 2, 2016
Szekesfehervar

Same goes for Hungary. It would be a huge step back with already 1 team in EBEL and another one (MAC) likely to join this year or next. Miskolc is planning to join the Extraliga (Slovakia). U20, U18 playing in EBEL. Oh, and almost forgot our own MOL League. Which is growing fast already.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany

Ljubljana will stay in EBEL for another season with almost no budget and probably won't pay most of the salaries like this season and last season. EBEL rejected Jesenice.

INL has merged with italian Serie A. Most of slovenian teams left the new AHL(Alps hockey league). Only Jesenice will participate.

The other 5 teams will only play Slovenian national championship.

Same goes for Hungary. It would be a huge step back with already 1 team in EBEL and another one (MAC) likely to join this year or next. Miskolc is planning to join the Extraliga (Slovakia). U20, U18 playing in EBEL. Oh, and almost forgot our own MOL League. Which is growing fast already.

12 teams have applied for MOL-Liga. 7 Hungarian, 3 Romanian, Medveščak Zagreb 2 and Partizan Belgrad. the third romanian team was accepted. the league have to decide about Medveščak 2 and Partizan Belgrad yet. MAC was rejected by EBEL to keep Ljubljana. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Miskolc and MAC want to leave MOL league to join slovak extraliga. So everything between 8 and 12 teams is possible.

I don't see a ex-Yugo league happening. MOL-Liga is probably the future for Medvescak 2 and Serbian teams. Currently, the Slovenian hockey has a negative trend. hard to say what's happening in the future.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->