Trade: [BAL/MIN] Yannick Ngakoue for 2021 3rd and 2022 conditional 5th

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
On one hand I wanna laugh at them just trading a 2nd and 5th for him just to move him after 6 games but on the other hand I'm glad to see them going full bore on the tank and cutting their losses and recouping some picks back.

He was going to be tough to re-sign given their cap hell already next season and that's even before it inevitable goes down because revenues will be down this year.

Hopefully the fire sale continues and Harris, Reiff and Rudolph go next. Harris and Reiff are FAs and for sure won't be back. And Rudolph is likely to be a cap casualty (so is Anthony Barr).

Very surprised how quick he was traded. Did he do anything for MIN?

Had 4 sacks, which was actually impressive given he's double teamed every snap since the rest of the DL is pathetic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Very surprised how quick he was traded. Did he do anything for MIN?
5 sacks and 2 FF’s is perfectly acceptable. The Vikings basically turned a 2nd into a 3rd so it’s not like this was horrible for them

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The original trade is pretty bad now. Gave up what will likely be a high 2nd for a late 3rd. I guess it's good they made the correct decision now but they don't deserve a ton of credit for that.

His numbers are also misleading because hasn't been very good. Going to the Ravens system with better defensive players around him will probably change that though. He can't be your go to guy and that's what he had to be with Hunter injured.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
cool?

i mean, some receiving help for lamar would be nice but i guess this is cool

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Vikings suffered a bunch of injuries on D and given the way the season has gone for them, they don't look good to make the playoffs being 1-5 now. Trade looked good on paper as they were expected to be a playoff team, but hasn't worked out for them this season.
They are in tough with the salary cap, so at least they got some picks back.

If they are in position to draft a QB, they have to do it. And whether they take the hit and move Cousins (say to SF), they may simply be better off doing so. They restructured his deal last off-season to make cap space this season and that obviously has blown up on them. That's how the salary cap works. NFL gives you the opportunity to delay the payment, but you always end up paying for it in the end.

Like NE is eating dead cap for Brady and NO will eat dead cap for Brees should he retire after the end of the season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Vikes recouped some of the lost value of original trade but naturally going from likely a high 2nd to low 3rd is steep

Ngakoue may have been Vikes best player thru first 6 games but with Vikes season going off rails and cap issues it was right move to trade him. He should be big boost to already strong Raven D (I believe they are currently 1st in PA)

Last edited:

member 157595

If they can't afford to re-sign him then why not? They aren't making the playoffs and have holes on the roster that need to be filled on the cheap, best place to do that is through the draft.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Vikes recouped some of the lost value of original trade but naturally going from likely a high 2nd to low 3rd is steep

Ngakoue may have been Vikes best player thru first 6 games but with Vikes season going off rails and cap issues it was right move to trade him. He should be big boost to already strong Raven D (I believe they are currently 1st in PA)
Probably not even top 3

Reactions: Avs_19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Man remember when Jags nearly made SB and looked like a franchise on rise

They were like Denver in the year they won the SB. Elite no fly zone Defence but has an old Manning. Peyton was smart enough to know his limitations so he managed the game.

Jags had Bortles.

just goes to show that an elite D will only last a couple of seasons. You need a solid QB to make a run over a few seasons. Like Keenum and the Vikings as well. They would need solid QB play like that every year but they knew that they could not count on that from him.

but it also hurts when you game manager QB wants to get paid like a franchise QB. That’s when the numbers don’t make sense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Nah. He wasn't close to that. Cook, Thielen, Jefferson, O'Neill, Reiff, Kendricks, and Smith just to name a few.

His sack numbers look fine but pressure>sacks. He was invisible far too often and terrible against the run. Having said that, I see him being good for the Ravens because the other players on their DL should free him up. It became easier for teams to stop him with Hunter out but that'll be tougher to do with the Ravens D.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Part of him being invisible was the fact he's double teamed on nearly every play, because the other 3 DL are replacement level.

Yup and his inability to beat/counter the extra attention he received made the decision to not pay him $16-20M/yr on a new deal an easy one. I think we would've seen a much better version of him if Hunter was healthy but some of his flaws really stood out as the go to guy. It wasn't just him not being able to pressure the QB, teams repeatedly targeted him in the run game.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Yup and his inability to beat/counter the extra attention he received made the decision to not pay him $16-20M/yr on a new deal an easy one. I think we would've seen a much better version of him if Hunter was healthy but some of his flaws really stood out as the go to guy. It wasn't just him not being able to pressure the QB, teams repeatedly targeted him in the run game.

Oh yea. He has less interest in the run game than Jared Allen did. That coupled with the pillow soft DTs contributed to getting shredded in the run game.

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad