Equipment: Baking skates at home

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Anyone got any experience with how to do this?

I've got Easton EQ50 skates and well, I've got a brand new oven at home... And don't particularly fancy spending £20 ($32) for what I can probably do at home QUITE easily...

Cheers gang!

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Break your skates in the old fashioned way you *****! ;)

I've never had skate problems i.e blisters ever, and I've never baked my skates because I don't need to. If new skates hurt your feet they probably don't fit you correctly.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC

I've never had skate problems i.e blisters ever, and I've never baked my skates because I don't need to. If new skates hurt your feet they probably don't fit you correctly.

I tried that... 2 years later I decided to bake them after years of pain and they felt ten times better. Modern skates with composites are designed to be baked, not broken in.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
easy answer, pay to get them baked, its not worth it to potentially screw them up

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I'm all for saving a buck, but if 20 quid is that big a deal, how do you plan to afford ice time?

Just pay to get them done right.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Its not hard. Ive done my skates.

Make sure you have a convection oven and dont leave them in too long. It doesnt take very long at all a minute or two too long can damage them.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

This is completely false, and you are the exception, not the rule. Don't go spreading misinformation, it does no good to anyone.

I would never bake them at home, I'd be too worried to mess them up, it's worth paying for.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
That's the same thing...

No, not really.

When skates were made of leather breaking in was the same thing.

With composites, plastics, fiberglass the material resilience is much higher and requires heat for it to properly shape to the user's foot. The only part you break in is the padded lining inside the skate.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Still incorrect. A bake isn't breaking them in, it's fitting them to your feet properly.

Sorry, neither of you are completely correct, you both have correct parts haha.

Baking is necessary to achieve the right fit in certain circumstances, such as a properly fitting boot everywhere except for a hotspot or two on the ankles. A bake should alleviate that problem, but that doesn't necessarily mean the skate doesn't fit.

Baking would also be highly advised to do with certain skates that were designed to be baked, such as the CCM U+ CL or U+ Pro. Boots with composite outers (APX, T1) are also designed to be quite heat reactive as well.

In general, a bake is a means of minimizing the break in process/time.

It's not mandatory, but under certain scenarios it would be HIGHLY recommended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad