Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '19-20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The issue I have with fans judging defensive ability is that it is so subjective. Alot of someones "defensive ability" is based on the structure the coach implements. Some players can look great defensively in some structures, not so much in others. Its also dependant on what other teammates are doing on the ice

Add to that- there is a ton of biases when it comes to defensive game. A guy can do 100 small things right, but then get burned wide once and fans will say how bad defensively he was. Now, if you could show hes getting caved in from a shot metric perspective, Id put more weight into that

So when it comes to judging players defensively in the AHL, I put little stock into it. For me, its the NHL trial that will be the big tell.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
The issue I have with fans judging defensive ability is that it is so subjective. Alot of someones "defensive ability" is based on the structure the coach implements. Some players can look great defensively in some structures, not so much in others. Its also dependant on what other teammates are doing on the ice

Add to that- there is a ton of biases when it comes to defensive game. A guy can do 100 small things right, but then get burned wide once and fans will say how bad defensively he was. Now, if you could show hes getting caved in from a shot metric perspective, Id put more weight into that

So when it comes to judging players defensively in the AHL, I put little stock into it. For me, its the NHL trial that will be the big tell.

Exactly. Or even a case like kelfbom where he said transitioning to the NHL from the AHL just felt more natural because guys in the AHL were more unpredictable and wouldn't make the "right" plays. There's just more structure overall in the NHL and some guys will thrive on that, while others will be exposed.

Obviously there are concerns if a player is standing around covering nobody, but there's usually a situation that leads to that happening.
Bouchard being an offensive powerhouse in the AHL is a great sign, and his defensive mistakes are a concern, but I'm not about to write off his defensive abilities until he gets a chance to chance to play an NHL system. Tippet could do wonders for him next year.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Here we go again. You guys should follow @voxel 's example and watch the games. Watch the player.

@voxel really appreciate your updates. Wish I could watch more games live with you.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
To be clear I'm not criticizing Bouchard's defensive ability... no, he seems to use his stick to intercept passes and be in good spots. I'm bitching about his half-assed motor. He just won't expend the extra effort to tie up the stick of a forward in the slot or the body of a forward near the net.

"Bouchard being an offensive powerhouse in the AHL" is kinda hyperbole. He's an excellent passer and has great vision but he's not dragging the Condors to wins like Marody and forwards last season.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
To be clear I'm not criticizing Bouchard's defensive ability... no, he seems to use his stick to intercept passes and be in good spots. I'm *****ing about his half-assed motor. He just won't expend the extra effort to tie up the stick of a forward in the slot or the body of a forward near the net.

"Bouchard being an offensive powerhouse in the AHL" is kinda hyperbole. He's an excellent passer and has great vision but he's not dragging the Condors to wins like Marody and forwards last season.

Defencemen in general can't have the same offensive effect as forwards, especially when the forwards themselves are underperforming.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Only watched from 2nd onwards.

McLeod is a wizard with the puck. A bit too perimeter which is why he's not putting up the points. He's really a Nuge-clone and he only one with top6 upside left on the Condors.

That third goal against is why the are losing games. Just WTF is everybody doing. Condors should have won this game (they were leading entire game).

With that said, I'm liking Samorukov's progression. Hoping to see him play more important minutes.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's not just the pts that is a positive for Currie... it's the fact he's generating a lot of shots.

There's a good chance that if he's on the Oilers and has a higher quality of setup plays at the NHL level... those offensive opportunities he's creating likely lead to some rebounds/deflections/greasy goals at the NHL level as well.

I'd definitely like to see them give him a shot because even 1 more decent piece in the Oilers lineup gives them more depth offense which could be really explosive for that lineup... tipping them over from being a 1 line team... to a team with several options to score as opposing teams would have to stretch their best D coverage out even thinner... likely making the top line even better as well.. and then with McDavid sliding back in eventually... watch out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He just keeps getting better and better.

I think he could easily hang on an NHL 4th line at this point.

Not any better than what we have there right now. If he can't play in our top 6 (and I don't think he can), then he is not going to be a useful player for us in the bottom. Career AHLer is written all over him.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Condors team D is a disaster... Manning and Persson are extra horribad. Doesn't help that both goalies give out massive rebounds.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
For those watching games, does it seem like Persson has mentally checked out at this point? Like his heart is already back in Sweden? What areas of his game are sliding?

Reactions: dustrock

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Very similar to Gambardella. Good AHL player but does not have the wheels or high vision needed at the NHL level.

Khaira,Russell and Granlund don't have high end vision or NHL wheels.

I would like to see gambardella and Currie given a shot on this year's squad. They didn't look out of place last year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I actually thought Currie looked ok last year.
Gambardella looked "okay" in his stint up here too. 27 years old. Guys that are that age that have played mostly in the minors usually get pigeon-holed that way. Organizations usually promote younger guys or others who have proven they can play in the NHL for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad