Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '19-20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
So no Oilers games going on and not much to comment on.

I don't watch Bakersfield at all but looking at Benson its concerning to me that he has only 8 goals this season, and has only scored goals in 4 of the 39GP thus far. When he scores(rare) it seems in bunches but scoring in 1/10 games at the AHL strikes me as problematic. Additionally no goals in his last 8 and counting games.

When I last joined the fray about Benson people were telling me the goal scoring problem was something Benson was solving, he was finding ways to score, and he was starting to come on in that regard.

How much is this looking like a fallback season for Benson. All his totals pale in comparison to even his rookie season when he didn't score often either.

I raise this because the Oilers have some of the best passers in the NHL. They don't need a ton more of those. Some guys that could pot some goals would be helpful. Is Benson snakebit again or is there just not much here as far as goal scoring acumen?

Tyler Benson has 1G in his last 15GP. In the AHL.

Last season there was even a Tyler Benson dedicated thread, lots of posts, he was considered can't miss. Pundits around the hockey world were talking up his rookie season.

Well, year later and he's 33rd in AHL in pts, and 131st in Goals. hardly being mentioned now in the Hockey world.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread... it might be and it’s damned disappointing to see.

Brandon Manning has been suspended 5 games for use of a racial slur

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
EC66BB8F-A662-4E56-8E7C-107FCE36A0F8.png

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

I don't watch Bakersfield at all but looking at Benson its concerning to me that he has only 8 goals this season, and has only scored goals in 4 of the 39GP thus far. When he scores(rare) it seems in bunches but scoring in 1/10 games at the AHL strikes me as problematic. Additionally no goals in his last 8 and counting games.

When I last joined the fray about Benson people were telling me the goal scoring problem was something Benson was solving, he was finding ways to score, and he was starting to come on in that regard.

How much is this looking like a fallback season for Benson. All his totals pale in comparison to even his rookie season when he didn't score often either.

I raise this because the Oilers have some of the best passers in the NHL. They don't need a ton more of those. Some guys that could pot some goals would be helpful. Is Benson snakebit again or is there just not much here as far as goal scoring acumen?

Last season there was even a Tyler Benson dedicated thread, lots of posts, he was considered can't miss. Pundits around the hockey world were talking up his rookie season.

Well, year later and he's 33rd in AHL in pts, and 131st in Goals. hardly being mentioned now in the Hockey world.
I think your concerns are valid, but we won't know until we give him a shot in the NHL. It could be a case of him not having anyone to set him up and always looking to make the pass, could be a case of him playing to the level of his linemates, etc. Or maybe it's just a case of him not having a good shot. No matter what the case, letting him toil in the AHL and pick apart his game from a statistics perspective isn't doing much good.

I've always thought Benson was a smart player who would be the type to play to the level of his linemates based on my few viewings, which makes me think pairing him with other smart players, like RNH, Drai, or Mcdavid (3 players who can also score goals) will hopefully allow him to either adjust his game to fill the role that's necessary for that line, or at the very least, go back to the AHL with an idea of what he needs to work on to play full time in the top 9 of an NHL team. Either way, I'm curious to see how his game translates to the NHL if at all, but you're definitely right that his lack of goalscoring at the AHL level is concerning.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Unfortunate for Manning. For a guy living out of his suitcase, these are the kinds of things you want to avoid.

Good on him for apologizing, but it's hard to see an NHL team throwing him a bone next summer.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Manning needs to be back in the NHL with someone. He's not a minor league player.
Wow, you didn't appear overly bright with all of your Manning comments before. Imagine how you must be looked up now with your unwavering support for your uncle.

Reactions: KYams17

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Rishaug saying he did not use the "N" word.

Edit: Not that it matters what he said or didn't say, but it's human nature to be curious to know what term he used.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Imama was being a royal pest and annoying little prick but this is a PRO league and players are expected to behave professionally within the agreed rules. Manning is no major loss. With Lagesson back... the Condors are okay on D. I said okay... not good at all though.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Imama was being a royal pest and annoying little prick but this is a PRO league and players are expected to behave professionally within the agreed rules. Manning is no major loss. With Lagesson back... the Condors are okay on D. I said okay... not good at all though.

Yeah, good to see Lagesson is going to get some games in again.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
:laugh: Not really. We all have colorful imaginations.

Lol-yep we can all imagine however there are some people who just *have* to know what word or words he exactly he said...otherwise why would Rishaug even tweet what he tweeted. Hell, I'm curious to know what he said. That said, I don't need to know and certainly won't lose any sleep over it but am still wondering.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Soon as I heard 5 games I figured it must have been a racial slur. They seem to go hardest at those. you could literally say almost anything else but not homophobic, and not racial slurs.

Are guys so stupid that they can't even adjust their swear vocabulary? I mean you can call somebody a rat bastard all day and usually its just kind of funny. What words you choose makes all the difference. Swearing is venting, jebus, just pick safe swear words to use..

f***ing rant done..;)

Okanagan

Jan 7, 2019
With the recent events in Calgary with Peters, I could see this deal with Manning as grounds to terminate his contract.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

100+ points in 112 AHL games.
AHL Allstar appearance this month.

Benson is fine and ripe for a NHL stint.

He was never a big goal scorer in Junior alway collecting a lot more assists than goals.

Benson-Sheahan-Arcbibald please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->