Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Joel Persson's playoffs end early, is he eligible to play in the AHL playoffs? I'm not really sure how their playoffs work... but it looks like the last game of their first series takes place on April 3rd. Växjö Lakers
He can. I think they sign them to a professional try out or something.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Marody certainly has come out of nowhere. 6th round pick, who didn't start scoring very well until his 3rd year in the NCAA. To put up >1 PPG in his first full pro year as a 21/22 year old is pretty impressive. I don't think he looked that good during his cup of coffee in the NHL this year, but we might have a bottom-6 guy in him eventually. Can anybody who watches him talk about how his defensive game is? He is tied for BAK team lead in +/-, but that is obviously not a great stat to look at, especially on such a dominant team.

Have watched every shift Marodys played this year. Defensively he is just okay. Hard to gauge when he's playing in front of a top 2 AHL d corps.

His game isn't quite the same, but I think at the low end you're looking at a Cory Conacher. Absolute stud in the AHL that has a ways to go to be effective in the bigs.

As I've mentioned numerous times in this thread, stuff that he and Benson get away with in the A, would be an easy goal against and a benching in the NHL. And it's not just once in a while, these guys push it every game. And that's what you want in the AHL, get them confidence. The hope is they can learn situations to try risky things, and also learn to be effective at the less risky things.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Have watched every shift Marodys played this year. Defensively he is just okay. Hard to gauge when he's playing in front of a top 2 AHL d corps.

His game isn't quite the same, but I think at the low end you're looking at a Cory Conacher. Absolute stud in the AHL that has a ways to go to be effective in the bigs.

As I've mentioned numerous times in this thread, stuff that he and Benson get away with in the A, would be an easy goal against and a benching in the NHL. And it's not just once in a while, these guys push it every game. And that's what you want in the AHL, get them confidence. The hope is they can learn situations to try risky things, and also learn to be effective at the less risky things.

Well to be fair, both guys are first year pro's. They are trying to get the juniors and NCAA mistakes out of their games.

Reactions: SOilers and North

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The potential roster for next year if they really want the young guys to percolate for a couple seasons...wow.

Benson - Marody - Yamamoto
Russell - McLeod - Maksimov
Safin - Gust - Hebig
Polei - Esposito - Callahan

Lagesson - Berglund
Samorukov - Bouchard
Lowe - Day

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The potential roster for next year if they really want the young guys to percolate for a couple seasons...wow.

Safin - Gust - Hebig

Lagesson - Berglund
Samorukov - Bouchard
Lowe - Day
Caleb jones and Ethan bear get traded?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Safin - Gust - Hebig

Lagesson - Berglund
Samorukov - Bouchard
Lowe - Day
Plus Jones, Bear, Malone, and probably one of Gambardella/Currie.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If Joel Persson's playoffs end early, is he eligible to play in the AHL playoffs? I'm not really sure how their playoffs work... but it looks like the last game of their first series takes place on April 3rd. Växjö Lakers
Last game will probably be tomorrow, his team is about the get swept by Lulea.

Problem is that Joel Persson is injured since a couple of weeks. His importance to Vaxjo is quite evident seeing how it really looks like they have nothing going for them right now. They have never really been close to having much of a chance so far in the series.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He can. I think they sign them to a professional try out or something.
I thought the rosters were set already, the deadline rosters. Seeing as he is signed by EDM how would that work?
Sounds odd to sign a professional try-out when you are already signed by an NHL team.

Must say though that I honestly don't know a whole lot about how contracts work so.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I thought the rosters were set already, the deadline rosters. Seeing as he is signed by EDM how would that work?
Sounds odd to sign a professional try-out when you are already signed by an NHL team.

Must say though that I honestly don't know a whole lot about how contracts work so.
I think since he already has that contract he can goto the AHL, I believe it’s new nhl contracts that are unable to goto the AHL

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think it would still technically be a PTO and players on PTOs don't have to be on the set playoff rosters.

Reactions: LaGu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So we're going to have a tirefire 3rd pair next year?
I mean I think Bear and Jones are better than Benning. Could see them splitting the work load beside Sekera and a new guy brought in to replace Russell.

Or one traded for a similar level forward and one on the team.

Reactions: nabob

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I mean I think Bear and Jones are better than Benning. Could see them splitting the work load beside Sekera and a new guy brought in to replace Russell.

Or one traded for a similar level forward and one on the team.
They aren't better than Benning, Benning gets severely underrated around here.

He is a perfectly capable 5/6 D man,

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think they can push him, but we shouldn't be just handing them the 3rd pairing, unless we have zero plans on ever making the playoffs.
I'm not saying hand them the spot, I think Jones is as good as Benning right now at least. Same with Bear. Benning will be moved for a forward, one of those guys will easily take his spot. Sekera on the bottom pairing helping mentor one of them is honestly a better idea then Benning there. As long as we improve our top 4. If not then yeah no.

Reactions: nabob

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Benning is about to hit 200 games.
He has 51 points, which is about 4 points more than Nurse through 200 games.
I think we'd be crazy to trade away a guy we've just developed for 200 games in the show. We've literally put in the work, and are giving away the benefits of it. Bear and Jones have another season that they can clear waivers, we'd be crazy not to use it.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007

And he is still only 24 years old, has 3 years experience and 12 playoff games under his belt. Could easily see it turn into another Jeff Petry situation. Extremely similar players actually looking at their careers.

Petry-3 years college
1st 3 years-25,12,17 points

Benning-3 years college
1st 3 years 15,21,15 points

Russell or Sekera can get moved if we need space for one of the AHL guys.

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
And he is still only 24 years old, has 3 years experience and 12 playoff games under his belt. Could easily see it turn into another Jeff Petry situation. Extremely similar players actually looking at their careers.

Petry-3 years college
1st 3 years-25,12,17 points

Benning-3 years college
1st 3 years 15,21,15 points

Russell or Sekera can get moved if we need space for one of the AHL guys.
The major difference is the skating between those 2 players.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
The major difference is the skating between those 2 players.

Benning is tougher as well. Hopefully as he gets older and stronger his open ice hits come more frequently.

If he could train with whoever turned Draisaitls skating around, he could be a really good dman for us.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm not saying hand them the spot, I think Jones is as good as Benning right now at least. Same with Bear. Benning will be moved for a forward, one of those guys will easily take his spot. Sekera on the bottom pairing helping mentor one of them is honestly a better idea then Benning there. As long as we improve our top 4. If not then yeah no.

Yeah it’s interesting because Benning was handed his spot with playing a minute in the AHL. Jones and Bear have paid their dues in the AHL and excelled down there while Benning has been a disappointment for the last two years in Edmonton. If the goal is to improve the team and eventually be a good team you have to move on from players like Benning at some point and give your top prospects a chance.

I agree with the plan to trade Russell and Benning, bring in a second pair RHD and have one of Jones/Bear on the Oilers next season.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Agreed. To me the best thing for the team to do is go into next season with Benning penciled in as the #6 guy and then if Jones, Bear, Bouchard, Lagesson or Persson(I think he's going to be a huge surprise in camp) blow the doors off in camp you can move a Benning/Russell/Sekera. Make these guys force their way onto the roster instead of penciling them in after playing a few games and having no backup plan.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad