Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Joe Gams gets the call up. Good to see him getting some more NHL games, and I do think he's the right guy. As much as Benson and Marody are lighting it up down there, Gambardella has a more mature game, and can be a contributor at the NHL level, as long as he keeps his confidence, and plays the same way.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Joe Gams gets the call up. Good to see him getting some more NHL games, and I do think he's the right guy. As much as Benson and Marody are lighting it up down there, Gambardella has a more mature game, and can be a contributor at the NHL level, as long as he keeps his confidence, and plays the same way.
Until Hitch plays him 3 minutes a game.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
In my opinion players earn their ice time, so if it's 3 minutes it's 3 minutes. Should be the same for Pulju, Yams, anybody. Make an impact with what you're given.

I somewhat disagree. Whether we like it or not, the NHL is becoming more of a development league than it used to be, as teams are relying more and more on speed and youth.

If the effort isn't there, absolutely, bench them. Don't bench them for a mistake though unless A) It is consistent and you've been trying to talk to them about it over and over, or B) They give you attitude for you trying to teach them in the moment. Galant is one of the best coaches in the league because he doesn't push his players down for every mistake. That builds their confidence and allows growth. Players like McDavid and Draisaitl are automatically given the luxury to make mistakes and learn from them so they can carry this team. Why Pulju wasn't given that same rope, I'll never understand.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
1 goal 2 assists for Ethan "Struggling Mightily" Bear.
2 assists for Tyler "The Clock is Ticking on him ever being an NHLer" Benson.

Benson has a goal too.

lol that Bakersfield loses their leading scorer to call up and then scores 5 in the first period.

Woodcroft for HC! :sarcasm:

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I know I've tried to balance out the enthusiasm for Benson this season, but simply have to celebrate him tying Anton Landers points record for the Condors. Absolutely awesome.

Odds are Marody will pass that record too, so we'll have two rookies in the AHL as the all time points leaders for the Condors.

Starrett was top notch again, and was a factor in as 7-0 game. That's special too. The Condors gave up 8 powerplay opportunities.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I somewhat disagree. Whether we like it or not, the NHL is becoming more of a development league than it used to be, as teams are relying more and more on speed and youth.

If the effort isn't there, absolutely, bench them. Don't bench them for a mistake though unless A) It is consistent and you've been trying to talk to them about it over and over, or B) They give you attitude for you trying to teach them in the moment. Galant is one of the best coaches in the league because he doesn't push his players down for every mistake. That builds their confidence and allows growth. Players like McDavid and Draisaitl are automatically given the luxury to make mistakes and learn from them so they can carry this team. Why Pulju wasn't given that same rope, I'll never understand.

Puljujarvi got plenty of rope. But that's a different discussion.

Ice time is rarely about punishing people for mistakes. More than anything, it's about how much players can actually handle. We talk about not rushing guys in to the NHL, but when they get to the NHL, there are multiple levels there too. Top pairing d-men. Elite checking forwards. Grind lines. Ultra skilled passers that will make you pay if you're too tired to read the situation.

You look at Gambardella, Malone and Currie, they are top 6 players at the AHL level. But they are not even close at the NHL level. Their roles are different, and if they expect to get more ice time, and earn more tough minutes, then they're going to have to make an impact as depth forwards first. If they can't do that, they'll be sunk against the Doughtys, Suters, O'Reillys, Bergerons in the league. No chance.

space321

May 11, 2011
Puljujarvi got plenty of rope. But that's a different discussion.

Ice time is rarely about punishing people for mistakes. More than anything, it's about how much players can actually handle. We talk about not rushing guys in to the NHL, but when they get to the NHL, there are multiple levels there too. Top pairing d-men. Elite checking forwards. Grind lines. Ultra skilled passers that will make you pay if you're too tired to read the situation.

You look at Gambardella, Malone and Currie, they are top 6 players at the AHL level. But they are not even close at the NHL level. Their roles are different, and if they expect to get more ice time, and earn more tough minutes, then they're going to have to make an impact as depth forwards first. If they can't do that, they'll be sunk against the Doughtys, Suters, O'Reillys, Bergerons in the league. No chance.

Your argument works if the NHL team they get called up to has actual depth. But have you taken a look at the Oilers roster? I'd rather McDavid try to drag Currie and Gambardella around than Lucic and Kassian. They're 25 years old, they can handle a little adversity.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Your argument works if the NHL team they get called up to has actual depth. But have you taken a look at the Oilers roster? I'd rather McDavid try to drag Currie and Gambardella around than Lucic and Kassian. They're 25 years old, they can handle a little adversity.
I wouldn’t really say Kassian is getting “dragged” at the moment.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yam sure getting hit with a lot of minor injuries this year. Wonder if it's a one off thing every time or something to do with a bigger game in the pros
He plays a feisty, aggressive style. Makes him great but can lead to injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->