Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I love that our farm team is building a winning culture down there. Developing prospects properly and having a good farm team should be the starting point of any successful franchise really.

You look at Tampa and how successful their farm team in Norfolk (now Syracuse) was/is and how they won the Calder Cup together in 11/12 with the big names there being Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Alex Killorn, along with the coach Jon Cooper. All now fairly big pieces of Tampa's success in the NHL. You also had guys like Kucherov, Marchessault, Gourde, Vasilevski and now most recently Anthony Cirelli coming through their AHL program and developing into high-end NHLers. And you'll probably see more coming through with Raddysh, Foote, Katchouk etc in the system.

One of the first things Toronto did revamping their organization was fixing their AHL squad and building a winning culture there too while giving their prospects ample playing time. And they of course won the Calder Cup last year with Andreas Johnsson playing a big part in that and he is now looking like a solid NHLer. Similar story with Kapanen and Dermott.

Really hope the Oilers can do something similar in Bakersfield and keep this going.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I love that our farm team is building a winning culture down there. Developing prospects properly and having a good farm team should be the starting point of any successful franchise really.

You look at Tampa and how successful their farm team in Norfolk (now Syracuse) was/is and how they won the Calder Cup together in 11/12 with the big names there being Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Alex Killorn, along with the coach Jon Cooper. All now fairly big pieces of Tampa's success in the NHL. You also had guys like Kucherov, Marchessault, Gourde, Vasilevski and now most recently Anthony Cirelli coming through their AHL program and developing into high-end NHLers. And you'll probably see more coming through with Raddysh, Foote, Katchouk etc in the system.

One of the first things Toronto did revamping their organization was fixing their AHL squad and building a winning culture there too while giving their prospects ample playing time. And they of course won the Calder Cup last year with Andreas Johnsson playing a big part in that and he is now looking like a solid NHLer. Similar story with Kapanen and Dermott.

Really hope the Oilers can do something similar in Bakersfield and keep this going.
I agree I hope they continue the winning team down there for years to come it’s only beneficial

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Winning culture is a plus but it is equally important that they are winning while being led by actual prospects rather than AHL vets that are a this point never going to make it.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I was looking at the roster by points, and I've not heard of Day who has 27 points (6th in scoring). What's the deal with this kid? Age maybe? When I hear of call-up opportunities, its either Bear, Jones, Lowe, Stanton....

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I was looking at the roster by points, and I've not heard of Day who has 27 points (6th in scoring). What's the deal with this kid? Age maybe? When I hear of call-up opportunities, its either Bear, Jones, Lowe, Stanton....
He's on an AHL contract.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Winning culture is a plus but it is equally important that they are winning while being led by actual prospects rather than AHL vets that are a this point never going to make it.

That's the key. The Barons had some successful years under Nelson but it was almost entirely driven by AHL vets so while it was nice to see them win, it didn't offer much hope for future Oiler success.

I missed the game last night but it looks like they grinded one out. This is why I think the success is sustainable, this team wins in many different ways whether it be blowout, high scoring shootout, low scoring grind. That's the true mark of a good team.
Nice to see Yamamoto get on the board too even if it was a fluke, he showed some real puck carrying confidence busting through the defense to create the breakaway in the first place. Hopefully this will jump start his confidence going forward.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That's the key. The Barons had some successful years under Nelson but it was almost entirely driven by AHL vets so while it was nice to see them win, it didn't offer much hope for future Oiler success.

I missed the game last night but it looks like they grinded one out. This is why I think the success is sustainable, this team wins in many different ways whether it be blowout, high scoring shootout, low scoring grind. That's the true mark of a good team.
Nice to see Yamamoto get on the board too even if it was a fluke, he showed some real puck carrying confidence busting through the defense to create the breakaway in the first place. Hopefully this will jump start his confidence going forward.
I listened to the last two periods and the overtime. The Condors dominated the play and Yamamoto was everywhere it seemed.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'm not concerned about Yamamoto. What's clear is he should never have been in the NHL. But what's also clear is that he's like 110 pounds, started the season as a 19-year-old, and is still playing against men much larger than him. With all that in mind, 7 goals in 20 games is around 25 goals over a full year in the AHL. He's really doing ok. He's a 2 year project in the AHL. Look for him in the 20-21 season and we'll all be happier for it.

There's his goal from last game. It's a great play to blow by the entire team.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I'm not concerned about Yamamoto. What's clear is he should never have been in the NHL. But what's also clear is that he's like 110 pounds, started the season as a 19-year-old, and is still playing men much larger than him. With all that in mind, 7 goals in 20 games is around 25 goals over a full year in the AHL. He's really doing ok. He's a 2 year project in the AHL. Look for him in the 20-21 season and we'll all be happier for it.

There's his goal from last game. It's a great play to blow by the entire team.

I agree. Small guys take time to develop. Gallagher played in the WHL in his draft+2 year. Tyler Johnson broke in at 22. Yammy seems more skilled than either of them. He will be good if we give him this year + most/entire next year in the AHL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I have no concerns about Yamamoto as long as he's being developed properly. He should've never been brought up once he had been sent down, but at least he's down there now and working on his game. Hope they are able to stay patient with him now regardless of what the big club needs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good solid comments on here about prospect development and the need to leave the kids down there regardless of the situation on the big club and the odd little spurt of success. Some of the fans were just as bad as Oiler management, hoping for a guy to get called up after a nice little 8 games or so of good play. I’d like these guys to overdevelop just once and see how that turns out.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Does anyone else here think JP has a chance if he's sent to Bakersfield to end the season? You'd think being involved with that winning culture while also being one of the main drivers for the Calder Cup would be a really positive thing. Continuing to jerk him around in the NHL is not doing much for him... PB to 2 minutes in a top 6 role before playing on a line with Lucic, then being given 4th line minutes.

I think it could be the difference between him taking a big step next year or fleeing to Europe.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Does anyone else here think JP has a chance if he's sent to Bakersfield to end the season? You'd think being involved with that winning culture while also being one of the main drivers for the Calder Cup would be a really positive thing. Continuing to jerk him around in the NHL is not doing much for him... PB to 2 minutes in a top 6 role before playing on a line with Lucic, then being given 4th line minutes.

I think it could be the difference between him taking a big step next year or fleeing to Europe.
Let him "flee". If he's going to take a step, he can take it in Europe. The Oilers own him until the end of the 2024-25 season.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Let him "flee". If he's going to take a step, he can take it in Europe. The Oilers own him until the end of the 2024-25 season.

If I had the choice between having him develop in the AHL vs getting screwed in the NHL then possibly wanting to 'flee' as a result of that, I'd choose AHL. Granted he may want to leave either way, I just think the AHL is better for his development right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad