Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '17-18 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
almost time for a Joe Gambardella re-call? dude has been lighting it up lately

Where does he play? They're going to have a tough time finding room for Reider and Zykov as is.

It's not that the Oilers have great depth, to state the obvious, but they have a boatload of bottom 6 players that are decent NHLers, unfortunately 3 are in the top 6 at all times. I'd love to see Lucic sit for a while but that's not happening.

Reactions: Aerrol

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Where does he play? They're going to have a tough time finding room for Reider and Zykov as is.

It's not that the Oilers have great depth, to state the obvious, but they have a boatload of bottom 6 players that are decent NHLers, unfortunately 3 are in the top 6 at all times. I'd love to see Lucic sit for a while but that's not happening.
replace Patrick Russell

throw him a bone at least...wouldn't hurt to try until Reider gets back

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
replace Patrick Russell

throw him a bone at least...wouldn't hurt to try until Reider gets back

Oh, you're saying just for a game while Zykov and Reider are out? Sure, I guess. The Oilers need goal scoring so Hebig would be first in line if it was up to me.

Stauffer seems to think that Yamamoto will get a call up. I don't know why, he's done nothing down there.
Realistically, they don't have room for any call ups once the healthy bodies come back. Two of the current top 12 players are gonna have to come out anyway when Reider and Zykov. Who that will be, I have no idea. Khaira and Rattie shouldn't come out so who?

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Cooper Marody recalled, well deserved. Hopefully he can find some success with the big club.

The other hope is that Yamamoto can step back in and bring the same dynamism that Marody does. At the AHL level, Marody is an impact guy, he brings the Condors up a level. Yams has the skill to do the same. He just needs to do it.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Cooper Marody recalled, well deserved. Hopefully he can find some success with the big club.

The other hope is that Yamamoto can step back in and bring the same dynamism that Marody does. At the AHL level, Marody is an impact guy, he brings the Condors up a level. Yams has the skill to do the same. He just needs to do it.
Hopefully he gets to play more than he did during his last stint here. Not sure I see the use in calling him up if they plan on using him like they did before he was sent down again; I would have rather seen Gambardella get a chance if that's the case.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Trade incoming or is Zykov in no mans land?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm a bit torn on it as well. You kinda want him to stay in Bakersfield and keep developing for a while I think, but at some point during the season I'd love to see what he can do at the NHL level, but it probably doesn't make much sense unless Oilers are out of the playoff hunt and he can get a stretch of solid games in. Although I do think he could do quite well under Hitchcock, but I'm not sure who you'd pair him with. The quote in your last post said he'd been playing with Gravel, do you know which of those guys played on the right side? Is Jones primarily playing RD?
So Woodcroft was on Gregor's show yesterday. I missed the end, but I would recommend listening to the podcast for yourself. My comments in italics

He said Jones was put onto the right side simply because they had to. Only had 2 right hand shots going into the season so they put him there. When asked why Jones has taken a step forward this year, the response was Jones is becoming a man now. He's spending a lot of time paying attention to what he does off the ice. When to workout, when to rest and what he's eating. He also spends a lot of time talking to his two brothers, mainly Seth. The two critique each other and offering each other pointers. Also mentioned that he is playing heavy minutes against the other teams best, playing all special teams and that he was surprised at how well Jones is at playing lots of minutes.

While I do think Seth is a very valuable piece for him to have, I hope he doesn't get to the point where what Seth says goes.I did find it odd they'd put the young player on the right side and not Gravel, but whatever.

Woodcroft had some comments on Marody, saying the guy is just unreal offensively for them. When the puck is in that offensive zone they feel something can happen. With that being said Woodcroft said they are working on him in the other two zones, so that he does get more offensive chances. That and if he can play better in the other zones it will help him out with coaches at the next level.

The last part is something that applies to a lot of guys on the Condors. There isn't always going to be spots for them in the top 6 when they are called up. The guys are going to have to learn that when they do the call they might not necasarily be getting the same role they have in Bakersfield.

Starett was another guy Woodcroft talked about. One of the because things that caught my eye was when woodcroft said the trip to Europe was quite key to Starrett. Reason being was Starrett hasn't spent a lot of time even at the AHL level yet. Woodcroft said by going on that trip he got some solid practices and saw first hand just how good shooters are at the NHL level. The other comment he had was that the Condors are a very young team still, a team working on two-way hockey. There are times every game where there is breakdown and Starrett seems to find a way to bail his team out and make those key saves at key times.

I did get the impression that Woodcroft thinks the team as a whole needs a lot of work defensively, but is quite thankful he has a goalie to bail them out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not gonna lie, Yamamoto's stat line doesn't inspire much confidence. 1 goal in 7 games, that being an empty netter? This guy is supposed to be a top six fixture on an NHL team? He better get it going.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Not gonna lie, Yamamoto's stat line doesn't inspire much confidence. 1 goal in 7 games, that being an empty netter? This guy is supposed to be a top six fixture on an NHL team? He better get it going.

Well, he is hurt right now and it isn't the end of the world if he spends the rest of the year in the minors. And where is he supposed to be a top 6 fixture on an NHL team? I hope you mean in the future, because he's a late 1st rounder in his 1st pro year, there's nothing wrong with him being in the AHL.

I agree that he needs to be scoring more than 1 EN goal in 7 games, but I'm not pushing any panic buttons right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, he is hurt right now and it isn't the end of the world if he spends the rest of the year in the minors. And where is he supposed to be a top 6 fixture on an NHL team? I hope you mean in the future, because he's a late 1st rounder in his 1st pro year, there's nothing wrong with him being in the AHL.

I agree that he needs to be scoring more than 1 EN goal in 7 games, but I'm not pushing any panic buttons right now.

Unfortunately with the make up of the team in the NHL though we really badly need either him or Puljujarvi to provide top six scoring, really honestly this year (lol), let alone next year. It's a problem if he can't even score in the AHL.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Unfortunately with the make up of the team in the NHL though we really badly need either him or Puljujarvi to provide top six scoring, really honestly this year (lol), let alone next year. It's a problem if he can't even score in the AHL.

No it's not.

It's 7 games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Some good NHL players go thru stretches of 7+ games without scoring. If he keeps that pace for a full season then yeah, I'd be upset.

High end NHL players go 7 games in the AHL without a real goal? Eh, I don't think there's too many actually.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
High end NHL players go 7 games in the AHL without a real goal? Eh, I don't think there's too many actually.
6gp 1G 1A 2P -5 Draft +2

7gp 1G 3A 4P +1 Draft +2

One of those is Kailer Yamamoto, the other is coming off back to back 70+ point seasons for us.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad