Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '17-18 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure I like that. Would've thought they'd keep one young guy in the AHL, although maybe in the ECHL the young guys will get more time. Really think they'll run with Montoya to stabilize the club.
Starrett is one of our young guys. He spent last year in the ECHL and played quite well. Seems like the org wants the guys to pay their dues in the ECHL for a year.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Interesting to note that even though he had no points in the game, Benson was selected as 1st star. I know he scored in the shootout, but I expect he must've looked pretty good during the game to merit that selection. Also had 5 SOG to lead the team.

My bet is that if he remains healthy, before this year is out he will get in some NHL games. His offensive awareness and playmaking are high end already, he just needs to get a bit stronger and quicker to graduate to the big club.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I really hate AHL scheduling. The Condors have 3 games between now and the 31st...

Unrelated to the Condors and the AHL but in regards to scheduling, I have the Sportsnet app on my phone with the WHL as a league I follow. The PG Cougars are playing their third game in three nights. Played here in the Hat on Friday, Lethbridge last night and are in Cranbrook tonight. I don't know if that's a scheduling goof up being a Major Junior league or if they get the shaft on road trips due to their location.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Unrelated to the Condors and the AHL but in regards to scheduling, I have the Sportsnet app on my phone with the WHL as a league I follow. The PG Cougars are playing their third game in three nights. Played here in the Hat on Friday, Lethbridge last night and are in Cranbrook tonight. I don't know if that's a scheduling goof up being a Major Junior league or if they get the shaft on road trips due to their location.
Happens often in major junior im pretty sure.

Reactions: drewshoo

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Starting to seem like he had far less of a role on the PP than we were led to believe.
I don't know. Seems like teams figured out our pp and we didn't adjust. I don't doubt that Woodcroft is good at PP's, we saw it here in his first year. The problem is him making adjustments.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nice. Hebig is doing better than I expected so far. Some actual talent on the farm, Jones to Benson to Marody to Hebig.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It's been a while since the baby Oilers had a line of AHL rookies looking as good as the Hebig/Benson/Marody trio so far, admittedly early in the year.

And it's nice that these guys are playing in the perfect league for them for now, no being bored in junior or being in over their heads in the NHL. It'll be interesting to see how Yamamoto slots in if he gets sent down as well.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Nice. Hebig is doing better than I expected so far. Some actual talent on the farm, Jones to Benson to Marody to Hebig.
I ended up picking up the AHL TV package for the Condors and caught the game this weekend. Those four players specifically were absolutely dominant. Adin Hill stole the game for Tucson, some bad penalties by a few of the Condors veteran players didn't help either though. I really like that the kids are all being given opportunities in all roles(PK/PP/big even strength minutes), and so far they've been doing very well in those roles.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I ended up picking up the AHL TV package for the Condors and caught the game this weekend. Those four players specifically were absolutely dominant. Adin Hill stole the game for Tucson, some bad penalties by a few of the Condors veteran players didn't help either though. I really like that the kids are all being given opportunities in all roles(PK/PP/big even strength minutes), and so far they've been doing very well in those roles.
Good to hear, and good job by Woodcroft. He seems to understand what the AHL is about, unlike the previous head coach.

Reactions: Aerrol

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
Good to hear, and good job by Woodcroft. He seems to understand what the AHL is about, unlike the previous head coach.

I know it's early, but I'm starting to wonder if we all crapped on Woodcroft more than he really deserved around here. Seems like the issue was always TMac, and Woodcroft was just the scapegoat (first in the media, then when he got "demoted")

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I know it's early, but I'm starting to wonder if we all crapped on Woodcroft more than he really deserved around here. Seems like the issue was always TMac, and Woodcroft was just the scapegoat (first in the media, then when he got "demoted")

I’m almost wondering if it was less a ‘Woodcroft runs the PP’ situation and more a ‘here’s how I want the PP to look and here’s the personnel I want there (McLellan to Woodcroft), you’re responsible for teaching and execution’ thing.

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
I’m almost wondering if it was less a ‘Woodcroft runs the PP’ situation and more a ‘here’s how I want the PP to look and here’s the personnel I want there (McLellan to Woodcroft), you’re responsible for teaching and execution’ thing.

With the Condors having a PP that's ~35%, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Having the best powerplay in the league definitely helps.

They're 6 for 13 if the team stats page doesn't include tonight's game.

That’s a bit of a chicken vs egg argument. Having good players who can score goals will give you that good PP.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Considering that they hired Viverios who is a well know PP guru and they continue to run McLellan’s same set up from last season with 5LH & 5RH, I would not be surprised if your statement is 100% correct.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Good on Lowe for being named captain. Seems like Woodcroft sees the same as last year's staff in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad