Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '17-18 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah looks like next year might be the first season that the Oilers actually have a number of legit prospects playing at the AHL level simultaneously. The year beyond that will be interesting too with Maksimov, Safin and Samorukov turning pro, with Berglund making the jump too. Finally got some decent prospects in the pipeline.

Didn't see this post before I posted, but yeah. If there's one thing that Chia has done well it's to restock the cupboards and add some legit prospects. Now if we could only get a good AHL coach too to develop these guys. Imagine having our own Jon Cooper type coach down there. That would've been something.

This is the reason why I feel the Oilers can trade the #10 pick. We have a significant amount of young guys coming into the AHL the next couple of years and should be OK there, although yes none may actually be "top end", but the Oilers need to get better now ! If and only *IF* Chia can make a good trade for the pick and get a player we need, AND a pick back as well , then I would consider the trade a success.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is the reason why I feel the Oilers can trade the #10 pick. We have a significant amount of young guys coming into the AHL the next couple of years and should be OK there, although yes none may actually be "top end", but the Oilers need to get better now ! If and only *IF* Chia can make a good trade for the pick and get a player we need, AND a pick back as well , then I would consider the trade a success.
Curious what kind of supplemental signings via Europe or NCAA are to come as well.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Curious what kind of supplemental signings via Europe or NCAA are to come as well.

And I think we have done very well under Chia in the college free agent/trading for up and coming young talent with guys like Benning , Caggiula and Marody, Hebig, and signing college grad Ty Vesel to a one year contract . Me thinks more college and Euro free agents will indeed be pursued this summer . o_O :thumbu:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't know how I missed it but apparently Lagesson is going to be coming over for sure next year. Should be a solid addition to Bakersfield defense. Guy can move the puck well and is a great shut down defender. If Mantha is ready to play again they would be a great pair.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
If Lagesson's over, that should be the main core of the AHL defence set.

Stanton-Bear
Jones-Gryba
Lagesson-Mantha

Seems like a more settled group than last year and having 4 rookies; though Bear, Jones, and Mantha are going to be leaned on heavily for offence.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't know how I missed it but apparently Lagesson is going to be coming over for sure next year. Should be a solid addition to Bakersfield defense. Guy can move the puck well and is a great shut down defender. If Mantha is ready to play again they would be a great pair.
He's coming for sure, but from all I have seen he's set on making the Oilers. He wants to play in the NHL and thinks he can make it.

I also probably think he'll be in Bakersfield, but I like his mind set. And I think he will probably be a bit better than some people expect.

Edit: I think he sees an opening on the 3rd pair tbh. If no big changes are made.
Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Sekera
Russell Benning/Bear

I could see him gunning fot that 3LD spot, moving Russell to 3RD and Benning/Bear as 7th D.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's coming for sure, but from all I have seen he's set on making the Oilers. He wants to play in the NHL and thinks he can make it.

I also probably think he'll be in Bakersfield, but I like his mind set. And I think he will probably be a bit better than some people expect.
To me he is a left shot Larsson lite. Which would be great as a bottom pairing guy to couple with a guy like Bear or Benning. Too bad we got too many left shot expensive old guys

Reactions: LaGu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed. Love the Defense on this team next year, but its scary when you're excited to see how Cooper Marody can do.
Based on what we currently have signed I would be okay with a roster kind of like...

Benson - Malone - Yamamoto
Laleggia - Marody - Currie
Russel - Hebig - Vesel
Gambardella - Gust - Hamilton

Lagesson - Bear
Jones - Mantha
Lowe - Whoever

Safin could also technically make the jump too and give us more of a youth jolt to the AHL team.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Based on what we currently have signed I would be okay with a roster kind of like...

Benson - Malone - Yamamoto
Laleggia - Marody - Currie
Russel - Hebig - Vesel
Gambardella - Gust - Hamilton

Lagesson - Bear
Jones - Mantha
Lowe - Whoever

Safin could also technically make the jump too and give us more of a youth jolt to the AHL team.

Nice. I like those lines.

I'd throw Gryba on that bottom pairing with Lowe and keep him far away from Edmonton. I also hope that Mantha can recover from his eye injury.

I'd keep Safin down in the Q for another year. Hopefully he can get traded to Halifax and go the Memorial Cup.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
If he makes the playoffs hats off to him. The development in the Oilers farm has been a crutch for far to long. Come on Jay start the winning young.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If he makes the playoffs hats off to him. The development in the Oilers farm has been a crutch for far to long. Come on Jay start the winning young.
I don't blame this fully on the coaches down there either. Anytime it looks like they get some talent to develop they end up in the NHL instead of the AHL. PC needs to make sure that the NHL roster is full of NHLers, so that the guys that should be in the AHL stay in the AHL.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I don't blame this fully on the coaches down there either. Anytime it looks like they get some talent to develop they end up in the NHL instead of the AHL. PC needs to make sure that the NHL roster is full of NHLers, so that the guys that should be in the AHL stay in the AHL.

Do you have a specific example in mind?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Do you have a specific example in mind?
JP, Nurse, Caggiula, Benning, Slepy come to mind as guys who should've spent more time down in AHL.

Add that you then draft 1st and pretty much lose any sort of AHL development with those guys and you can see why our farm team isn't developing any real players.

Jujhar and Pitlick spent their time in the AHL and are looking, but that's really only two guys that spent time in the AHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
JP, Nurse, Caggiula, Benning, Slepy come to mind as guys who should've spent more time down in AHL.

Add that you then draft 1st and pretty much lose any sort of AHL development with those guys and you can see why our farm team isn't developing any real players.

Jujhar and Pitlick spent their time in the AHL and are looking, but that's really only two guys that spent time in the AHL.
Davidson spent time too and he went from a long shot to a guy who is a 6/7 D. Which is still pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad