Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '16-17 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Bako signs Polei, Butcher and Gust for next season.

Big LWer and a couple of smaller, skilled RWers.

I like them taking a chance on Butcher. He's speedy and has a good combination of skill and grit. Definitely worth a look to see if he can earn an NHL contract. Don't know anything about the other 2 other than Gust put up ppg in NCAA the last 2 seasons, but is on the small side so I wonder how his wheels are, and Polei is big, but put up unimpressive numbers as an overager in the WHL (seems similar to a Kessy/Moroz type).

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Butcher was one guy I was hoping we'd give a chance too. Outstanding hands, and excellent agility. He is fun to watch.

I predict he'll earn an NHL deal with the Oil.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Gonna go way out left field here and say St.John's Newfoundland

maxresdefault.jpg

Halifax Highlanders :yo::laugh:

You can get Doug Glatt and Laflamme to teach the guys how to be skilled and beat the living **** out of the opponents. :nod:

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Norfolk went with Nashville which now leaves Cincinnatti open. Cincy had been with Nashville for many years.

Polei was impressive in the only game that he played for us. In the things that I read it said that Butcher is a very fast Skater. I look at Polei as being our version of Lucic.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Butcher was one guy I was hoping we'd give a chance too. Outstanding hands, and excellent agility. He is fun to watch.

I watched a LOT of WHL this year and I couldn't agree more. Butcher's got the goods. Looked good in rookie camp too. All a question if it can transfer to the pros.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/en/news/russell-fitting-in-fine/

“It is an honour being a part of the Edmonton organization,†he said. “A great organization all the way through. It’s been a good year and I’ve learned a lot and I need to work on a lot of stuff as well. I plan on doing just that over the summer and hopefully I can go back there and have an even better year.â€

Patrick Russell's playing a pretty good WC, we'll see how things work out for him next season.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I like them taking a chance on Butcher. He's speedy and has a good combination of skill and grit. Definitely worth a look to see if he can earn an NHL contract. Don't know anything about the other 2 other than Gust put up ppg in NCAA the last 2 seasons, but is on the small side so I wonder how his wheels are, and Polei is big, but put up unimpressive numbers as an overager in the WHL (seems similar to a Kessy/Moroz type).

Polei is real-deal tough. Not that tall, (6'1) but he's a thick unit who throws absolute bombs and routinely pummels bigger men. Has been the toughest guy in the WHL for a few years now. Was tougher that Kanzig. Tougher than Baddock (close). He doesn't back down from anyone. Not anyone. Good signing

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Polei is real-deal tough. Not that tall, (6'1) but he's a thick unit who throws absolute bombs and routinely pummels bigger men. Has been the toughest guy in the WHL for a few years now. Was tougher that Kanzig. Tougher than Baddock (close). He doesn't back down from anyone. Not anyone. Good signing
Looked up some of his fights on yt, guy seems like a beast. :amazed:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Norfolk went with Nashville which now leaves Cincinnatti open. Cincy had been with Nashville for many years.

Polei was impressive in the only game that he played for us. In the things that I read it said that Butcher is a very fast Skater. I look at Polei as being our version of Lucic.

I watched a LOT of WHL this year and I couldn't agree more. Butcher's got the goods. Looked good in rookie camp too. All a question if it can transfer to the pros.

Living here in the Hat, I've gotten to see Butcher a fair amount over the past two seasons (I've lived here for three but didn't get to any games the first winter here).

There's not much else to add, he's quick, makes excellent passes and reads the play well at both ends of the ice He's a damn good hockey player.

The only knock is he was a WHL overager at 21 and in my opinion is a bit small and light at 5'10 and just barely over 170 pounds (he doesn't play small). That said, his size is deceiving as he's pretty strong with the puck when he has it. He might get the occasional cup of coffee with the Oilers but I see him primarily being in the AHL, and there's nothing wrong with that. He'll be a welcomed addition down there.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
According to the Condors radio broadcaster's twitter feed, Gustavsson and Sallinen signed in Sweden. Sallinen is no loss and Gustavsson leaving isn't a surprise.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Be interesting to see how the injection of young D next year will work out.

Still need to be able to score goals, which has been the issue the last couple years. Ellis is a solid goalie and I have hope for the D, but where's the scoring depth?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Still need to be able to score goals, which has been the issue the last couple years. Ellis is a solid goalie and I have hope for the D, but where's the scoring depth?

Will be interesting to see how the team does with some additions coming in. No question they'll lose some scoring up front with the loss of Lander. A full season (potentially) of Gambardella should help to ease that loss. If Spencer Foo signs here that would be another welcomed addition and if Puljujarvi is down there to start the season I'd expect his scoring to take a leap forward. I think they're unlikely to see Benning, Caggiula, Slepyshev, or Khaira (due to waivers in Khaira's case) so thats definitely a loss of offensive potential that many expected them to have last year. That definitely hurts the teams offence with so many guys hopping to the NHL.

There's no question the forward prospect pool at the AHL level is lacking, but Chiarelli has done a pretty good job starting to rebuild it. I'm interested to see how the D look though as they have the potential to add quite a bit of offence themselves. All of Bear, Jones, Mantha, and Paigin have good offensive tools that could flourish next season and the team may have to rely on the D for a good chunk of their offence.

I'm also interested to see how Starrett looks in net. Could be a pretty solid goaltending duo with Ellis and him if Starrett can make the transition to pro.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Sounds like the Condors will be quite a different team from last year. What do you guys think about the changes to the roster?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I see that Lander has signed a 2 yr deal with Ak Bars in the KHL.

He'll be 28 at the end of that deal, makes me think that he's pretty much given up on the NHL dream and will spend the rest of his career making decent money on the other side of the Atlantic. Best of luck, I always liked him.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

He'll be 28 at the end of that deal, makes me think that he's pretty much given up on the NHL dream and will spend the rest of his career making decent money on the other side of the Atlantic. Best of luck, I always liked him.

Hard not to when you have a family. It's significantly easier on the body playing less games, and with less hitting as well. I hope he has a good career over there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like the Condors will be quite a different team from last year. What do you guys think about the changes to the roster?
There wasn't much down there last year up front, so additions were needed. Hopefully they've done enough to make the team more competitive.

I'm kinda shocked it took this long to sign. That deal has been rumored for months. Must've been hearing out other potential NHL options, but I highly doubt anyone was offering one-way deals his way.

He could very well come back though in a couple years. The guy was a good PK and faceoff guy. Couple years of high offense in the KHL and someone will give him a shot again.

Problem for him is he hasn't really made any money. If he can put a little more away in Russia then I don't blame him. His money earning years are running out and he's given it a decent go in North America. Might as well chase the money for a bit.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I am not sure why it took so long for the announcement on Lander. he was here during the last two weeks of the Bako season and it was announced that he had signed in the KHL for over $1 mil per year. We were devastated when it was announced but that is life. he was GREAT down here and will be missed.

As for Bako this year, simply WOW. Chiarelli took the first 2 days of the UFA signing to redo Bako while other clubs were doing their NHL teams. Bako NEEDED a total overhaul if Edmonton was going to be competitive for a long time to come. Edmonton is going to need value contracts to keep both McDavid and Drai as well as others in order to stay within the cap. Development is FAR less cheaper than buying talent. Bako also now has plenty of depth on all positions in the event of injuries at the NHL level. Overall once the NHL was essentially fixed last year, the AHL had to be done this year. Both teams still need tweaking and we still have some bad contracts that should be done by the end of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->