Signing(s): Baker Mayfield signs with the Buccaneers (1 year, $8.5 million)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
296-466 (63.5%)
3,315 yards
24 TD's
8 INT's

I think he is new Goff. Got way too much flak/blame in Cleveland (Honestly, he was pretty good most of his time in Cleveland) and seems to have found himself a place he is comfortable in and is thriving.

And since he is only 28 he gives Bucs some time before they have to go for QB in draft and they can focus on getting other pieces in draft

You're only saying this because he’s become a competent QB two seasons later.

He was competent/good most of his time in Cleveland. Took alot of flak/etc for one bad year and fans/media went overboard with it

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He was competent/good most of his time in Cleveland. Took alot of flak/etc for one bad year and fans/media went overboard with it
It wasn't just one bad season. He was also bad his second season, but that got written off as being due to Freddy Kitchens being a bad coach. Kitchens was a disaster, but Kitchens and his offense was also what Baker told the Browns he wanted.

He also really struggled most times the team needed him to win. His 4th quarter numbers were bad his whole time in Cleveland. When the game on the line, even worse. He had serious turnover problems his whole tenure and was holding the ball way too long. The big shoulder injury came from him getting himself hurt. He was warring with teammates and the media and the coaches.

It's why I say him being humbled and forced to calm down has worked wonders for him.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
:rolleyes: :laugh: He played a whole season with a bad shoulder and casual fans such as you said "He sucks".
Never said he sucks. Said he wasn't going to be a guy you wanted to hand a mega extension. I'm not alone there. It's not like the league was beating down his door after he left the Browns.

But hey, I'm glad to see you come in after he's had a nice season to look back and say you know he was going to be good.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Never said he sucks. Said he wasn't going to be a guy you wanted to hand a mega extension. I'm not alone there. It's not like the league was beating down his door after he left the Browns.

But hey, I'm glad to see you come in after he's had a nice season to look back and say you know he was going to be good.
I agree. He's not a guy you had $80 mill in guaranteed money to.

What does this season do for Baker? I don't think he gets a monster deal, but probably more similar to the Geno Smith deal. Having him keeps you out of the bottom 5 of the draft however. So, kind of have to figure out what direction you want to go with the roster. But, can't ever know how the team plays in the future.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
He's definitely going to get paid.

Had a comeback season, led the Bucs to a playoff win when many didn't even have them as a playoff team. Even if the Eagles appalling lack of defense made him look better than he was i don't see how you justify moving on from him if you're Tampa.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's definitely going to get paid.

Had a comeback season, led the Bucs to a playoff win when many didn't even have them as a playoff team. Even if the Eagles appalling lack of defense made him look better than he was i don't see how you justify moving on from him if you're Tampa.

Still pretty young too. 29 in April.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I always forget that. It feels like he's been i've been watching him a decade when he's only been a starter for 6 seasons.
He played for a while in college. Not one of these, 3 years removed from HS and went to the NFL like Lawrence, Fields, and co. Must have been a RS SR coming out, thus after 6 years in the NFL he should be 29 now. Maybe it was the Car and LAR stints that make it feel like he was with each one for a full season, but it was just 1 year.

No idea what kind of contract Baker gets in the summer. Not Allen/Jackson money. Is he getting Carr money at $70 mill over 2 years essentially? Jimmy G, was to have gotten like $45 mill over 2 years, but he stunk the joint out and gets $34 mill over 1 when they cut him. A non exclusive tag is worth what like $32 mill based on Jackson last year? Not sure TB does that.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The thing I really can't stress enough is that if you took away Watson from the equation, the Browns would be one of the most likeable teams in the league.

Instead, other than local fans and people hoping for good Flacco memes, basically nobody is rooting for them. And now they're stuck with an albatross of a contract on a guy that seems pretty markedly inferior to a player than they rushed back (even if Baker's own insistence, it was their call to a) not shut him down and b) to judge him poorly for not being ready) and booted out.

Hope Baker gets a nice payday and gets even better.

Reactions: LT

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The thing I really can't stress enough is that if you took away Watson from the equation, the Browns would be one of the most likeable teams in the league.

Instead, other than local fans and people hoping for good Flacco memes, basically nobody is rooting for them. And now they're stuck with an albatross of a contract on a guy that seems pretty markedly inferior to a player than they rushed back (even if Baker's own insistence, it was their call to a) not shut him down and b) to judge him poorly for not being ready) and booted out.

Hope Baker gets a nice payday and gets even better.
It was more than just a shoulder injury. You're overlooking him being unable to deal with his teammates and warring with coaches. He needed to get away to grow up and calm down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad