Bain Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
The funny thing is that this idea *could* work very, very well as each team operates as their own franchise but as part of one business. The problem is that there is too much that could go wrong for me to even want to see them take the risk.

I dont want to see it happen, but I am sure it looks like a GREAT deal to some of the owners who are getting killed financially.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I think Bettman should let the board vote on it, $4 billion is probably more than the league is worth and the Bain group can't be any worse than some of the owners the league has now. Not to mention probably to a better job of marketing the sport and preventing expansion into underdeveloped markets.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How much for Nashville, Florida, Atlanta, Columbus, Carolina, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Washington, Chicago and Jacobs thrown in as a sweetner only ??

That should solve all the Crosby draft issues ..

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
guinness said:
I think Bettman should let the board vote on it, $4 billion is probably more than the league is worth and the Bain group can't be any worse than some of the owners the league has now. Not to mention probably to a better job of marketing the sport and preventing expansion into underdeveloped markets.

All it takes is one owner to squash the deal; they cannot be forced to sell. If there was an attempt to force the deal through, they would probably land in antitrust court, like baseball did when the Federal league was folded. And I doubt there would be any exemption granted like there was back then, given how unconstitutional it was in the first place.

mooseOAK*

guinness said:
The Bain Group doesn't want to run the league. They want to sell off the franchises one by one and make a quick profit.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
The Bain Group doesn't want to run the league. They want to sell off the franchises one by one and make a quick profit.
Then why don;t some of these crying about losing money sell them off for a quick again that solves their losses and the next owner hopefully has more business sense and everyone wins ..

Show me the Money ..

Where is all the declining Revenue ??... The league had Revenue's of 2.1 bil losing nearly 300 mil . Now they get a 4 billion offer ..

mooseOAK*

The Messenger said:
Then why don;t some of these crying about losing money sell them off for a quick again that solves their losses and the next owner hopefully has more business sense and everyone wins ..
So you want a league full of Wirtzes, guys who know the value of a buck.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
So you want a league full of Wirtzes, guys who know the value of a buck.
Nope .. looking for Donald Trump, Bill Gates and others like them that know how to grow the industry and the value of a buck at the same time.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
You would have to get past the fact that the strong majority of these guys hate each other example

Kroenke and Laurie - the two that almost destroyed the Walmart empire with there hate for each other
Well...that is certainly news to me. And, as an Avs fan, I have read quite a bit about both Bill Laurie and Stan Kroenke. For starters, neither Kroenke nor Laurie have ever been big players in the Walmart empire. Kroenke did head up the construction projects for many of their stores. He made good money at it, but it is not a job that put him at the center of Walmart's chain of command. I do not think Laurie had any kind of major roll with the company. The Walton sisters that Bill and Stan married are, IIRC, grandchildren of the Walmart founder and are way too low on the Walmart wealth chain to have the power to 'destroy' Walmart.

Besides that, I have never heard anything about the brother-in-laws 'hating' each other. I have read that Stan and Ann Kroenke are very close to Bill Laurie's son. Stan never missed the kid's basketball games. The Lauries and the Kroenkes live near each other...and they certainly can afford to move if they don't like their neighbors.

So...unless you have a darn good source to support your contention that they 'hate' each other AND that their 'hatred' was felt at the top levels of the Walmart empire, I am going to think you are making stuff up.

It would not be the first time you have been caught doing so.

mooseOAK*

The Messenger said:
Nope .. looking for Donald Trump, Bill Gates and others like them that know how to grow the industry and the value of a buck at the same time.
The same Donald Trump who went bankrupt? That one?

IdiotsPickedMyName*

mooseOAK said:
The same Donald Trump who went bankrupt? That one?

And then became a billioniare again in about 5 years. He has more business sense then everyone on this board added together.

mooseOAK*

pjbth said:
And then became a billioniare again in about 5 years. He has more business sense then everyone on this board added together.
Yeah, by sticking creditors with unpaid bills. But I imagine that is more moral than the owners looking for cost certainty.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Im not sure anyone else has heard this, but I was listening to Peter Warren on the Corus network today (sunday) and the bloomberg reporter who wrote the original article about the 4 Billion dollar offer put forth by Bain Capital said that his sources say that Bain Capital is willing to up their bid from 4 Billion to 5 Billion dollars for the entire league if thats what it takes. Now, while the owners probably wouldnt break it up evenly, if you do the math, thats an average of nearly 167 Million per team. Not anywhere close to what the Leafs, Wings or Rangers are worth, but more than double of what nearly half the teams in the NHL are currently priced at.

Imo, if they goto 5 Billion, you may well see the league getting sold.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
no13matssundin said:
Im not sure anyone else has heard this, but I was listening to Peter Warren on the Corus network today (sunday) and the bloomberg reporter who wrote the original article about the 4 Billion dollar offer put forth by Bain Capital said that his sources say that Bain Capital is willing to up their bid from 4 Billion to 5 Billion dollars for the entire league if thats what it takes. Now, while the owners probably wouldnt break it up evenly, if you do the math, thats an average of nearly 167 Million per team. Not anywhere close to what the Leafs, Wings or Rangers are worth, but more than double of what nearly half the teams in the NHL are currently priced at.

Imo, if they goto 5 Billion, you may well see the league getting sold.

Nope, I don't think so.

The smaller market teams will beg for it, but it would have to have the approval of all 30 owners and I don't see that happening.

mooseOAK*

The Messenger said:
Show me the Money ..

Where is all the declining Revenue ??... The league had Revenue's of 2.1 bil losing nearly 300 mil . Now they get a 4 billion offer ..
$4 billion for a business that generates $2.1 billion a year is a joke, but we all know you aren't all that knowledgeable about business issues.

The league is going to get a better deal with their union so they can tell the Bain Group to take a hike.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Kritter471 said:
Nope, I don't think so.

The smaller market teams will beg for it, but it would have to have the approval of all 30 owners and I don't see that happening.

True enough. I do wonder at what price would all 30 franchises sell? 6? 7? 10 Billion? Maybe a better question is, how high is Bain Capital willing to go?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Team valuations as of 2004 (from the rubbery Forbes)

Rank Team Current Value1 ($mil)
1 New York Rangers 282
2 Toronto Maple Leafs 280
3 Philadelphia Flyers 264
4 Dallas Stars 259
5 Detroit Red Wings 248
6 Colorado Avalanche 246
7 Boston Bruins 236
8 Montreal Canadiens 195
9 Los Angeles Kings 193
10 Chicago Blackhawks 178
11 Minnesota Wild 163
12 New York Islanders 160
13 Tampa Bay Lightning 150
14 San Jose Sharks 149
15 Vancouver Canucks 148
16 St Louis Blues 140
17 Columbus Blue Jackets 139
18 Phoenix Coyotes 136
19 Ottawa Senators 125
20 New Jersey Devils 124
21 Florida Panthers 121
22 Calgary Flames 116
23 Washington Capitals 115
24 Nashville Predators 111
25 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 108
26 Atlanta Thrashers 106
27 Edmonton Oilers 104
28 Buffalo Sabres 103
29 Pittsburgh Penguins 101
30 Carolina Hurricanes 100

TOTAL $4.9 billion

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
guinness said:

Unfortunately, the Bain offer is not something that the BOG can even really vote on. In order for Bain's business model to work, they must buy all 30 teams - it's an all or nothing deal. If Jacobs or Wirtz or some other big ego owner decides he doesn't wan't to sell, there's not much Bain or the League can do about it. The league does not have the power to force a team to sell.

SedinFan*

7-8 billion is what they'll need to offer for the NHL to start getting interested.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
As much as I'm sure this deal won't happen, I'd like to note I don't think it'd necessarily be a bad thing.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Yeah as much as I think there can be some merrit to this it will never happen for the sole fact that all 30 teams need to agree and the Ontario Teachers will never allow that since they would stand to lose the most from a deal like this.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
gr8haluschak said:
Yeah as much as I think there can be some merrit to this it will never happen for the sole fact that all 30 teams need to agree and the Ontario Teachers will never allow that since they would stand to lose the most from a deal like this.

Exactly. Those who are in it to profit (owners of teams in good markets) will wish to continue that trend. Those who are in it because they love doing it will obviously want to keep doing it. If "cost certainty" ever does come about, every team stands to theoretically make profit or so Bettman says. Why bail out after sacrificing so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->