Baertschi scratched again.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think the reason Monahan hasn't been scratched is because Hartley has been told he can't. Burke was pretty clear about when he said Monahan would only stay up this year if he's guaranteed minutes, something he didn't say about Sven.

I disagree, you can clearly see Monahan learning from game to game. His faceoffs have gotten better, his time management with the puck are better, even his willingness to drive to the net is better.

I don't think Sven deserves to be scratched based solely on last game as I thought he had a pretty solid game but he seems to be the low man on the totem pole for wingers with Bouma.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
What pathetic player management. Just an absolute joke. Meanwhile Colborne and Galiardi are allowed to be turnover machines.

**** this. Just trade him or send him to Abbotsford. I'm tired of this crap.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Colborne looked fine for his 6 minutes on the 4th line like Backlund did and is a solid screen for the pp. But we should totally scratch a center for a winger but that was such a good plan when we scratched Backlund :facepalm:

I thought Colborne was awful. There was a reason he only got 6 minutes when he started out on the Cammy line if I recall.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
What pathetic player management. Just an absolute joke. Meanwhile Colborne and Galiardi are allowed to be turnover machines.

**** this. Just trade him or send him to Abbotsford. I'm tired of this crap.

But Hartley needs to make room for future Art Ross winner Tim Jackman.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No, Colborne looked like crap.

No he didn't he has become this teams new whipping boy since he has been over played at 18+ minutes a night. If Colborne saw 12-14ish minutes on the 3rd line like he should no one would complain but the fact that it has turned into Colborne vs Backlund has created some strange kind of hate for Colborne.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No he didn't he has become this teams new whipping boy since he has been over played at 18+ minutes a night. If Colborne saw 12-14ish minutes on the 3rd line like he should no one would complain but the fact that it has turned into Colborne vs Backlund has created some strange kind of hate for Colborne.

I think that is true, and in many ways expected. People were very much in Colborne's corner when he was playing well, though.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Colborne is incredibly weak on the puck for a guy his size. He was brutal against the Oilers. He hasn't become this new whipping boy at all, he just plain isn't very good.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I said this once, and was chided for it, but I would love to have Feaster give Hartley a phone call and tell him to buzz off. Pretty sure Feaster still loves Sven, he's his mark on the franchise and his first big draft that (until recently) looked like it was gonna pan out.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I don't have much issue with Colborne if he is playing 3rd or 4th line minutes... Galiardi (whom I love seeing in a Flames jersey) however, should be scratched. If we are going to talk about inconsistency and turnovers, Galiardi should be sitting before Sven.

Edit: The way the situation between Hartley and Sven is developing is reminiscent of Jacques Martin & Jason Spezza.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Figured the lines from last game were too good to last. Can't understand Hartley's constant need to shake up the lines, especially when they displayed some jump for the first time in a while.

But Hartley's a joke anyway. Way too obvious about playing his favorites. Baertschi's finally playing with some jump in the offensive zone but that's apparently not enough - no, he needs to play like Hossa in his prime if he has any hope of sticking in the lineup.

Might as we send Baertschi down to the Heat. He can not only escape Hartley's awful coaching, but might actually get a chance to be in a winning atmosphere. Something that won't happen anytime soon with Feaster and Hartley here.

Playing guys in roles way beyond their capabilities leads to frustration? Who'd have thunk it?

Lifeline

Jan 31, 2013
Winnipeg
I honestly am getting sick and tired of this, at this point management has to say something. Either they are going to ruin their relationship with Sven or they are going are going to ruin his development. I don't think he deserves to be sent down at all if we are judging on his play, not to mention I was excited to see him play tonight especially because I'm going to the game (shameless bragging).

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think that is true, and in many ways expected. People were very much in Colborne's corner when he was playing well, though.

Only until Backlund saw 4th line time and it turned into Backlund vs Colborne.

I'm not saying Colborne is perfect but the things he gets **** on for the other rookies are doing too. I think a lot of people are expecting Sven like ability from Colborne which isn't fair he isn't that type of guy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 9m
On Sven sitting, nothing official yet, but hearing the same as @RogMillions looks like he'll sit out tonight. #Flames

At this point it's very clear he's playing from behind with this coach. Confusing for many on the outside, me included. #Flames

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

No. You're just deflecting.

When Colborne was all over the puck, using his legs, and staying strong along the boards nobody had a problem with Colborne. As of lately, he's been lazy, and it has nothing to do with Backlund. Or maybe it does, because Backlund has been surprisingly good lately...

These weird accusations are getting old. We're all watching the same hockey games you are.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Only until Backlund saw 4th line time and it turned into Backlund vs Colborne.

I'm not saying Colborne is perfect but the things he gets **** on for the other rookies are doing too. I think a lot of people are expecting Sven like ability from Colborne which isn't fair he isn't that type of guy.

He's a first round pick who has been given 3(?) years to develop. I think it's justified to expect him to excel in at least one area other than puck protection along the boards and screening the goalie.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He's a first round pick who has been given 3(?) years to develop. I think it's justified to expect him to excel in at least one area other than puck protection along the boards and screening the goalie.

Colborne never excelled at anything else before this is exactly what I told people to expect (the only difference is Colborne has used his body more than he did in TO).

Maybe its because I have seen both live before they got to the NHL but Colborne is doing fine imo and Sven has a lot more he could bring.

Not that Colbonre should matter in a Sven discussion because only playing 3 centers would be moronic.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Plus he has the natural tools to perform these tasks. It's much harder for a guy like Baertschi or Backlund.

Colborne is just being lazy. We all know he can skate and he can be strong on the puck.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
On Sven sitting, nothing official yet, but hearing the same as @RogMillions looks like he'll sit out tonight. #Flames

At this point it's very clear he's playing from behind with this coach. Confusing for many on the outside, me included. #Flames

Even more confusing during a rebuild.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Its nothing to do with Colborne VS Backlund, Colborne had a **** game period. If you can't see it, then you yourself would be the one enamored in this non existent debate. He was soft on the puck, didn't use his body at all and was invisible for more or less all 6 minutes he played, I get he only had 6 minutes to work with, and thats a small sample but he did nothing with it. Bad game for him, stop making excuses.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Its nothing to do with Colborne VS Backlund, Colborne had a **** game period. If you can't see it, then you yourself would be the one enamored in this non existent debate. He was soft on the puck, didn't use his body at all and was invisible for more or less all 6 minutes he played, I get he only had 6 minutes to work with, and thats a small sample but he did nothing with it. Bad game for him, stop making excuses.

Actually, I did notice Colborne once.

In the third period, he lost a battle on the wall. Atta guy, Joe!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Colborne never excelled at anything else before this is exactly what I told people to expect (the only difference is Colborne has used his body more than he did in TO).

Maybe its because I have seen both live before they got to the NHL but Colborne is doing fine imo and Sven has a lot more he could bring.

Not that Colbonre should matter in a Sven discussion because only playing 3 centers would be moronic.

Depends on the discussion. Sven is being sat in favour of less-capable winger replacements. Colborne is not being sat in favour of centre replacements (Street, Reinhart, Knight, etc.). If it is judged that both are making as many mistakes as each other (as it is by many), then there is a clear bias.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I thought he did as much as Backlund did when he was on the 4th line and the entire board had a freeBacklund midnight vigil to get him off the 4th line. I think you guys are expecting way to much form 6 minutes of hockey.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Depends on the discussion. Sven is being sat in favour of less-capable winger replacements. Colborne is not being sat in favour of centre replacements (Street, Reinhart, Knight, etc.). If it is judged that both are making as many mistakes as each other (as it is by many), then there is a clear bias.

This is exactly it. Street for example was much better in his time with the team than Colborne has been of late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad