Baertschi scratched again.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Assuming this isn't injury related, should the Flames consider sending him back down? (assuming he wouldn't need to clear waivers, as I am not familiar how that works) He's been limited to the 3rd line so far this year, and in my opinion, is struggling to really click with his linemates. When Stempniak is back, it's going to push another winger out. Would it be better to have him play top minutes in the AHL? Or is it more likely to see someone else dealt when Stemp is back?

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Sven Baertschi needs to play. And play in the NHL. He has paid his AHL dues already. When Stempniak comes back chances are another forward or two will be hurt so I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Sven Baertschi needs to play. And play in the NHL. He has paid his AHL dues already. When Stempniak comes back chances are another forward or two will be hurt so I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes.

I'd personally like to see Baertschi with Colborne and Cammalleri, and push Galiardi down with Monahan and Hudler. Baertschi doesn't seem to be clicking with Monahan and Hudler.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think there's a lot of things that can be done:

1) Give him different line-mates.

2) Give him the penalty kill to work on his defensive game (if that's the issue) or the power play to work on his offensive game

3) Feaster needs to trade away Hartely's bad toys in Jackman and other fringe players that take away development ice time

4) Top line minutes in Abby

I order these by ranking them by personal preference

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
^ Agreed with MarkGio. As much as I like healthy competition, there's too many wingers and one/two of them need to be dealt for the younger kids. There could be other disciplinary/ways of teaching for a young player to learn.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd like to see this.

Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Baertschi - Colborne - Cammalleri
Galiardi - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - McGratton

When Stempniak is back, I'd slot him on the top line, and likely put Jones where Galiardi is, and bench McGratton.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I'd like to see this.

When Stempniak is back, I'd slot him on the top line, and likely put Jones where Galiardi is, and bench McGratton.
I like this idea.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If he doesn't respond to this benching, his next trip will be to Abbotsford.

Didn't we see this movie last season? He played his way back, and finished quite strong.

Maybe he's got the Curse of the Iginla, slow starts?

Yeah this is true. It certainly looks like last year is repeating itself

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'd like to see this.

Swap Galiardi and Backlund imo

When everyone is healthy I'd like to see

Sven - Colborne - Cammy
Backlund - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Galiardi - Stempniak (trade him for defensive help)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If he doesn't respond to this benching, his next trip will be to Abbotsford.

Didn't we see this movie last season? He played his way back, and finished quite strong.

Maybe he's got the Curse of the Iginla, slow starts?

Yea it appears this way but Iginla never started this slowly. I think maybe sending him to Abbs and giving someone else a chance isn't the worse idea.

Sven has the skill to be a very good player he just hasn't been able to put it all together and sometimes it takes a while (look at Kadri).

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Swap Galiardi and Backlund imo

When everyone is healthy I'd like to see

Sven - Colborne - Cammy
Backlund - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Galiardi - Stempniak (trade him for defensive help)

I really don't like the idea of having Backlund play the wing. I'd rather have him continue to develop at center. However, if the Flames did this lineup, I'd rather see Bouma at center, and Galiardi at the wing.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am willing to let Hartley bench players if he really thinks it will help. I do not like the idea of having three 4th line wingers on the roster, and one playing in the top 9 (if indeed that is how this roster is going to be used). If you are going to replace Baertschi in the top 9, do it with Hanowski, who has earned a chance and has the talent to play there.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I really don't like the idea of having Backlund play the wing. I'd rather have him continue to develop at center. However, if the Flames did this lineup, I'd rather see Bouma at center, and Galiardi at the wing.

Bouma hasn't played center since the CHL I think Galiardi at least haivng played in preseason would be a better move.

Backlund with Monahan makes a lot of sense as Monahan still needs help at faceoffs and in the defensive zone he still needs some work and Backlund is very good at defense.

Imo with Colborne and Monahan both playing as well as they have at center we are either going to have to accept Backlund as a defensive center or move him to the wing. He was amazing last year during the lockout as a winger I don't see why we don't try it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I am willing to let Hartley bench players if he really thinks it will help. I do not like the idea of having three 4th line wingers on the roster, and one playing in the top 9 (if indeed that is how this roster is going to be used). If you are going to replace Baertschi in the top 9, do it with Hanowski, who has earned a chance and has the talent to play there.

Bouma looked solid last time he was given a chance maybe Hartley sees something who knows.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Bouma hasn't played center since the CHL I think Galiardi at least haivng played in preseason would be a better move.

Backlund with Monahan makes a lot of sense as Monahan still needs help at faceoffs and in the defensive zone he still needs some work and Backlund is very good at defense.

Imo with Colborne and Monahan both playing as well as they have at center we are either going to have to accept Backlund as a defensive center or move him to the wing. He was amazing last year during the lockout as a winger I don't see why we don't try it.

Yes he was. Wasn't he getting more points than guys like Kopitar? Its amazing how the right situation could be the difference maker!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yes he was. Wasn't he getting more points than guys like Kopitar? Its amazing how the right situation could be the difference maker!

He had the best ppg in the league out of anyone that played at least 10 games (Hagelin beat him but only played 8 games)

I can't understand why some people don't want him there it isn't like he can't play pk as a winger and his few shifts a night on the 4th line won't be missed that much.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
He played exceptionally well with Huds and Money. I don't understand why that line keeps getting broken up. Sven and Sean were amazing together. Let them continue to play together a generate chances. NO use letting Sven watch from the press box. And no Hartley, that is not part of development. At all. Players need to play to develop.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
[fieldset=Morning Skate Report (Hartley)]We're going to have a video session this afternoon. I told him on the ice that I want to show him where we need an improvement. At the same time, guys like Jackman, McGrattan and Bouma, they're bringing something every day to the table.[/fieldset]
So is there a reason that attending a video session and playing in a game are mutually exclusive?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
[fieldset=Morning Skate Report (Hartley)]We're going to have a video session this afternoon. I told him on the ice that I want to show him where we need an improvement. At the same time, guys like Jackman, McGrattan and Bouma, they're bringing something every day to the table.[/fieldset]
So is there a reason that attending a video session and playing in a game are mutually exclusive?

He most likely wants Sven to focus on when other players do something they want him to do. Yes playing is important but seeing your mistakes and ways to fix them are also important. It sounds like what ever Sven was sat for last time he hasn't worked on in Hartley's eyes.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I want Backlund at least tried at wing, then move Stempniak for a bloody dman. Why hasn't this been done yet?

Because Backlund is a bum and doesn't deserve to play on anything other than the 4th line, according to our board anyway.

I agree that Hartley is proving to be the least patient person in this entire rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->