Badger Bob Johnson

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
I've always been fascinated by Badger Bob Johnson, a man who tragically passed away from cancer not long after leading the Penguins to their first Stanley Cup in 1991. It seemed this man was beloved by everyone as I've only ever heard positive and kind things said about him. He's also revered for his time with the Wisconsin Badgers and he had some success as the head coach of the Flames as well, leading them to their first Stanley Cup final in 1986. I think he had a stint as coach of the U.S. National Team as well?

What made him so beloved and respected by his peers, his players and the league itself? I was too young to remember him and I'd like to learn more about a man who was taken away so suddenly and so tragically, but had such an undeniable impact on those who knew him.

Reactions: Killion

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I guess the biggest reason he was loved by people was that he had a larger than life upbeat and motivational personality. One that usually only people with narcissistic disorder have, but without all the overall nasty and unhelpful stuff they bring with us.
He LIVED hockey and did it coaching college although he probably could have gone to the NHL earlier than he did, although college was not the same back then.
Was great with young players, always having new ideas to try out.

Last edited:

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Bob Johnson had a positive personality that was genuine. If a player was playing badly, Johnson would not dress him down in front of the team. Johnson believed his teams needed positive reinforcement in both good and bad times. He was genuine and cared about them as people, not just as hockey players. That's why his players loved him.

Darth Yoda mentioned that Johnson could have gone to the NHL sooner. But teams were reluctant to hire coaches from American colleges back then and still are today. That mindset was perhaps partially due to Ned Harkness disastrous tenure in Detroit in the early 70's. Yes, Herb Brooks was coaching the Rangers when Calgary hired Johnson, but that was more due to the fact that he coached the 1980 U.S. Olympic team rather than his success at the Univ. of Minnesota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad