Bad ice kills the entertainment value.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The Raptors were always a scapegoat for the conditions of the ice, concerts and other events too. That the ice is still crap when the Leafs are the only game in town should dispel any notions of that. There are other rinks that share their venues with other basketball teams or hosting events, yet their ice is fine.

I don’t know what the bloody issue is but they need to do something about it. It’s embarrassing and actively hurts our team.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The Raptors were always a scapegoat for the conditions of the ice, concerts and other events too. That the ice is still crap when the Leafs are the only game in town should dispel any notions of that. There are other rinks that share their venues with other basketball teams or hosting events, yet their ice is fine.

I don’t know what the bloody issue is but they need to do something about it. It’s embarrassing and actively hurts our team.

They can shift the blame to covid now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I made a comment about the ice in the GDT. Glad to see that I'm not the only one noticing the pucks bounce weird, and people falling way too much.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How can the ice be so bad in the middle of winter in a pandemic with no body heat in the building or other events? Maybe they're trying the weird tech puck again.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It was easy to pin it on the Raptors or concerts or other events at the rink, but now, with no crowd and nothing else going on, in the middle of winter? I dont get it. The ice is trash, plain and simple. NHL players don't fall this much and have this much trouble with the puck on a good sheet. Its going to lead to injuries if it hasn't already.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Well it went from freezing cold earlier in the week to pretty spring like in the city today. Humidity was up a lot.

but you would think there are air systems for that

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Can't use the raptors as an excuse anymore, they're almost near the other side of the continent.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Watching hockey on bad ice is not great - impossible to make a skill play, passing difficult, very little flow.

It’s bullshit that a top market team has the worst ice in the NHL. Opposing fan GDTs confirm it.

#FixTheIce

I've been complaining about this for years. This year has no excuse, as in multi-puposed arena, I have no explanation as to why it's been this bad.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I've been complaining about this for years. This year has no excuse, as in multi-puposed arena, I have no explanation as to why it's been this bad.
If AM34, Mitch and Willy aren't complaining there must not be much of a problem. Their voice would carry a lot of clout.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Watching hockey on bad ice is not great - impossible to make a skill play, passing difficult, very little flow.

It’s bullshit that a top market team has the worst ice in the NHL. Opposing fan GDTs confirm it.

#FixTheIce

How the hell would you know the condition of the ice unless a player said something. And no, opposing fans don't confirm anything as they know as little as you do.

leafsleafs

Jul 12, 2006
Here
Yup, Marner mentioned the bad ice a week or so ago. And that was before the weather warmed up a little, so that isn’t the issue.

When NHL players just fall down with no one around them, there is a problem.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
There's really no excuse at this point. Fire all the people in charge of sheeting the ice and start anew.

Its incredible that a team with so much wealth and interest in getting any advantage has let this happen.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How the hell would you know the condition of the ice unless a player said something. And no, opposing fans don't confirm anything as they know as little as you do.

I am not going to dig for all the quotes I've seen over the years about it, but it's no secret. You could also watch a game in Minny then a game in Toronto and see the difference between great puck movement and an Indian rubber ball.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
In the old days they use to keep the pucks in the freezer before game time, in an effort to keep the puck from hopping, for visiting teams that were known to be quick and highly skilled, the home team would leave the pucks out at room temp to make it harder for them to play quick. You'd think that a team who is all about playmaking would create conditions that are favorable for them. Bouncing pucks, inconsistent ice would help a less skilled team slow the Leafs down.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The Raptors were always a piss poor scapegoat. Plenty of other teams share their building with NBA teams and/or have tons of concerts going on with lots of change-overs and have had absolutely no problems with having good ice.

I'm just glad that all the excuses are gone. Now people can finally see it for what it is - we just have terrible ice.

Reactions: supermann_98

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It’s not just the Raptors/switch over. In fact, that’s actually a smart part of it.

When the ACC was being built, there was no hockey planned to be in it. It was meant to be a concert and basketball venue.

Halfway through, is when things were purchased and the plans changed to move the Leafs into there and close MLG.

Since there was no hockey originally planned, they had to alter the plans as much as they could given what had already been built. It left very little room for the ice cooling system room. Meaning the Leafs, actually don’t have as large of a set up for the cooling, as other teams in the league.

Now, they’ve upgraded the machines since then, and from what I know, the ice is better now than it even was back in the mid 2000’s.

TLDR: While covering the ice to put in the basketball court does affect the ice some, the actual issue is the Leafs ice cooling systems are smaller than other teams around the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad