Boston Herald Bad Guys: Top villains in Bruins’ history

Who do you consider to be the worst villian in Bruins history?

• Total voters

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Chris Nilan not being on the list is puzzling to me.

I didn't like Nilan to begin with, but I despised him after he threw the butt end
into Rick Middleton's mouth and laughed as the teeth came flying out of Rick's
mouth. :madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire:

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Whose fault was it that he was appointed as a captain at such a young age, before he was really ready for it though? I see the former players as villains as a huge stretch, tbh. I get why some fans want to demonize ex players, but other than simply being involved in a controversially bad trade, Thornton didn't really have anything to do with how his exit from Boston went down.
Hear hear. I will never get the grief that Joe gets from some around here. He got traded for a return that, no matter what MO'C wants to say, should have been better. Give me a Dollar Bill every day of the week as opposed to a 50 cent piece, a quarter, and a dime.

He came to Boston as a young star in the making and was nothing but enthusiastic and engaged. I don't recall him beefing about the fact that Pat Burns kept him on the 4th line for most of his rookie season. Ironically -- given that some think Joe was too soft and didn't care -- one of his biggest challenges was controlling his temper in his early days. In my view Joe's game changed after the Lindros fight -- not that his career hasn't been excellent since. Just that it changed.

Joe's not much of a villain to me. Actually not even remotely.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I was VERY excited that Joe Thornton ended up a Bruin, and I thought he was going to be the cornerstone of a Bruins powerhouse heading into the turn of the century.

Whatever Joe Thornton’s shortcomings - and I’m very critical of his time here - I would never call him a “villain.” There are more than enough Canadiens; Penguins; and Flyers to fit that bill without looking in the Bruins’ dressing room.

Reactions: BMC

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
It has to be Ulf, he effectively ended Neely' s career and was as dirty as they come, the guy wouldn't even drop the gloves. Another guy I couldn't stand was Mario Tremblay, decent player though who did his job well. Loved it when Roy walked out on him.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I'll never forget the end of game 7 when there were 3 seconds on the clock and the Bruins were starting to celebrate already, and dinkwad Bieksa shoots a 120 foot slapshot at Tim Thomas as the clock expired and made him have to drop down for one last save.

I kinda took that as him shooting the puck down for them to keep it...not to be a dick..but just my take.

My personal list would def be Ulf, Guy C, C Lemiuex, Barnaby, Laraque, Jones, Komisarek, Cooke, Bieska...Could never stand any of them

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
Perhaps no sport captures the concept of the villain quite like hockey. The Bruins have had their share of players who opposing fandoms have loved to hate, from Eddie Shore to Derek Sanderson to Brad Marchand.

But there also have been plenty players of whom Bruins’ fans could not stand the sight. Some of these ne’er-do-wells’ transgressions were all in the sometimes filthy game, others bordered on the criminal.

Here’s a list of the worst villains for the Bruins’ over the years — the Hateful Eight if you will:

Top villains in Bruins' history

Ulf Samuelsson
Matt Cooke
Pat Quinn
Alex Burrows
Maurice “Rocket” Richard:
Wayne Maki
Claude Lemieux
Oskar Sundqvist

Nilan has to be top 3.Moose DuPont was someone that I hated.Schultz,Dale Hunter,Kevin Maguire,Verbeek.These players i hated.

Reactions: OV

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I hated Jussi Jokinen for a short time when he got away with a cheap shot on Chara in that Carolina series with a slash to the back of the foot. Started calling him p***y Chokinen. Then Carolina won the series which made it worse.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Can we put Jeremy Jacobs and/or Harry Sinden on the list, or are we just limiting this to people who have harmed the club during actual NHL game action?

I vote for MOC. He just always came across to me anyways as that weasel middle-manager type that you come across that is clueless and clearly has zero business having the position that they do.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
There are so many goons out there, where do I start?
Personally I hated Ulfie the most, will never forget that cheap hit he laid on Cam that ended his career.
I was so happy with Lindros pounded the crap out him later in his career.
Nilan was another goon, never liked him. I remember the time he sucker punched Paul Boutiller and pounded him.
What a classless act.
Garry Howatt was another one I hated. He blind sided Cashman when he was not ready to fight. I was hoping Jonathan would step into take care of him, but he was too busy pounding some other Islander.
Matt Cooke was the other one that comes to mind and least we forget the dirty hit Aaron Rome placed on Horton.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I always wanted to punch Petr Svaboda in the face...another Canadian puke
I could list about 10 Habs from that era. Kovalev, Daigneault, Carboneau, to name a few.

Ulf, Cooke, that idiot from Philly that Ladyfan loves, the finger biter.

I have no problem with guys who play hockey hard. Ryan Kesler, I'm sure most here would add him to this list. Not me, just a hard nose hockey player unlike the above mentioned.

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Alan Eagleson. Bobby Orr would have retired as a Bruin and partial owner if not for him.

I wonder if the commitment to win would have been there, or at least better with Orr as
an owner, instead of the commitment to simply be good enough to go one or two rounds in the
playoffs when Sinden was in charge as the GM. I don't think Orr would have accepted JUST
"getting in" as being acceptable.

Reactions: BMC

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I hated Jussi Jokinen for a short time when he got away with a cheap shot on Chara in that Carolina series with a slash to the back of the foot. Started calling him p***y Chokinen. Then Carolina won the series which made it worse.

Same series. Scott Walker. Shouldn't have ever been playing in the final, should have been suspended and yeah, the hockey gods decided to have a laugh and he scores the OT winner in game 7. To me, this series bothered me more, still does, then the 2010 loss. Because I think they could have won the cup in 09. 2010, they were too hurt.

Reactions: Mathews28 and BMC

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Ulfie and Claude Lemieux are stop my Bruins villains list. Others:

Matt Cooke
Scott Walker
Guy Carbonneu
Tremblay
Stephane Richer
Nilan
Mel Bridgman
Bobby Clarke
Scott Stevens

Now straying from villain to just guys I couldn’t stand:

Billy Smith
Essa Tikkanen
Sean Avery
Mike Ribiero
Plekanic
Matthew Tkachuk
Dino Cicarelli

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I wonder if the commitment to win would have been there, or at least better with Orr as
an owner, instead of the commitment to simply be good enough to go one or two rounds in the
playoffs when Sinden was in charge as the GM. I don't think Orr would have accepted JUST
"getting in" as being acceptable.

Again, so wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad