Backyard shooting gallery

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I want to make some sort of shooting gallery in my backyard. I wanna be able to shoot real pucks. Anyone have any tips on how to do this, low cost of course?

I was thinking a couple of sheets of plywood and my street hockey net, but that seems kind of half ***ed.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Not exactly sure what your looking at doin...but I'd just have a big net like batting cage net set up behind the goal or something. Wish I had a net before I destroyed the garage door and the taillight on my car

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
well you could put up a net behind your streeth hockey net, but I wouldn't. I remember my dad telling me that he was more accurate because when he would play in the backyard if he missed he had to chase the pucks so he quickly learned not to miss. Also another thread mentioned sythentic ice, if you have the money I would reccomend it, or possibly some type of sportcourt or something.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
ya go get some practice ice if you can. I just picked some up for $20 the other day and tried it out. It does seem to simulate shooting on ice a lot better.

There is a difference in shooting on ice and on concrete. It's way easier to lean into a shot and get your stick to whip through the puck on concrete because the blade will grip the ground much easier than on ice. I think it's important to practice like you would shoot in a game.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
My neighbor has a sheet of plexiglass that he shoots off of, and a batting cage net behind his goal. The local rink leaves old sheets of plexiglass in the back - when a pane cracks or chips they replace it and leave the old one for people to take for shooting in their driveway.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Make sure your street hockey net isn't made out of the plastic tubes....if it its say goodbye to the net when the ice hockey puck hits the post. This is from experience.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
FLYLine88 said:
Make sure your street hockey net isn't made out of the plastic tubes....if it its say goodbye to the net when the ice hockey puck hits the post. This is from experience.

I have a metal one and it all the posts are pretty much bent to hell with all these dents in them from the puck. But at least its still there. YOu're right about the plastic nets, theyll break if you let em fly.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
FLYLine88 said:

Yeah, I thought about that. That beaing said, I don't think I will be using it. I have an idea in mind for a decent homemade net. I am planning on cutting a T out of plywood and mounting it on the face of the net upside down to simulate a goalie in the butterfly postion. Right now I am more concerned with getting the puck on a surface where it will glide.

Anyone have a link to that practice ice?

BTW - I love the idea about the rubber mat so you can shoot with your skates on.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
stick9 said:
Yeah, I thought about that. That beaing said, I don't think I will be using it. I have an idea in mind for a decent homemade net. I am planning on cutting a T out of plywood and mounting it on the face of the net upside down to simulate a goalie in the butterfly postion. Right now I am more concerned with getting the puck on a surface where it will glide.

Anyone have a link to that practice ice?

BTW - I love the idea about the rubber mat so you can shoot with your skates on.

I use a similar idea. Ill show you a rough drawing I just did in paint:
[IMAGE]http://hfboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15321&stc=1[/IMAGE]
It uses a single sheet of playwood with different areas cut out to simulate high glove side, blocker side, between the armpits and five hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad